any idea?

br125

I want to lower my action but the 12th note on both high and low e string rattles even though my action now is quite high. and the fretboard is not warp...any idea idea what is causing this rattling or buzz? :wink:

I used to have this problem...hmmm when I had that...I found out that whenever I hit the lower fret...my strings touch the pickups..So I lower my pick ups and everything's fine...I dunno what's ur problem.

Jeremy87: hmm i'm sure that my strings dont touch the pickups. Anyway thanks for helping :)

subversion: yeap. mine's a bolt on. An Epiphone LP Special II. Hmm what do you mean by "neck's tilt might not be correct". How do i correct this? :?

heh i my neck's tilt used to be wrong. i had to get a tech to unscrew it, take it out, adjust those plastic thingies and screw it back on perfectly straight. :D

or could it be that i need to adjust my truss rod? cause i did not do anything to it as i do not know how to...

chester77:i see...hmm how much did it cost you?

maybe u wanna try this simple test 1st
hold down low E string on 1st fret using a capo and on 12th fret using your finger. if u dont have capo u need somebody to assist u to press down the string. then use a metal ruler and measure the gap between the top of 6th fret and the bottom of the low E string. the gap should be between 0.01-0.03 inch. For me, exactly 0.01 is good.

lets say u want the gap to be 0.01 inch but its lesser than 0.01. that means u need to create more string relief. If its more than 0.01, u need less relief. To adjust relief is by turning your truss rod with the provided alan key clockwise (tighten for less relief) or counter-clockwise (loosen for more relief). Always make one-eight of a turn, meaning make very small adjustments then check using the metal ruler after each turn. If u try to turn but its very tight, stop and go to a guitar tech. the rod must turn very freely.

The main objective of a truss rod is not to adjust string height but to adjust your guitar's neck, make the neck straight. Some people like it slightly in-bow.

If u already have the desired relief between 0.01-0.03 but still there's buzzing. Dont adjust the rod anymore. u need to adjust something else. For now, do the above check 1st

fixit said:
maybe u wanna try this simple test 1st
hold down low E string on 1st fret using a capo and on 12th fret using your finger. if u dont have capo u need somebody to assist u to press down the string. then use a metal ruler and measure the gap between the top of 6th fret and the bottom of the low E string. the gap should be between 0.01-0.03 inch. For me, exactly 0.01 is good.

lets say u want the gap to be 0.01 inch but its lesser than 0.01. that means u need to create more string relief. If its more than 0.01, u need less relief. To adjust relief is by turning your truss rod with the provided alan key clockwise (tighten for less relief) or counter-clockwise (loosen for more relief). Always make one-eight of a turn, meaning make very small adjustments then check using the metal ruler after each turn. If u try to turn but its very tight, stop and go to a guitar tech. the rod must turn very freely.

The main objective of a truss rod is not to adjust string height but to adjust your guitar's neck, make the neck straight. Some people like it slightly in-bow.

If u already have the desired relief between 0.01-0.03 but still there's buzzing. Dont adjust the rod anymore. u need to adjust something else. For now, do the above check 1st

Great Tutorial there! the keyword is relief! yup and if it still buzz.. get ur axe to a tech... might not only be relief or neck tilt prob(which are quite unlikely unless you are using a lower end guitar or some inproperly made and low qc) frets unlevelled is another headache.. and if your fingerboard is a rollercoaster railway den haha.. good luck.. wads ur axe btw?

br125 said:
subversion: yeap. mine's a bolt on. An Epiphone LP Special II. Hmm what do you mean by "neck's tilt might not be correct". How do i correct this? :?

there are 2 possibilities here:

*neck warp
*neck tilt needs rectification

read the tips above. the one where the capo is involved is to test neck warp. however, relating to your problem, it might be a convex neck warp, so no space in between the strings & frets. if you do not know which way to turn the truss rod, DON'T do it...

Back