Active Pickup - How to know if my battery no mroe liao?

Vaiyen said:
passive pickups are hassle-free and sound better IMO.

maybe that's true for emg's but my musicman sabre 1's pickups are active too and they are as organic as any present passive pickups

spikes said:
i removed my back plate(and broke 4 screw holes) and saw nothing but the back of my bridge and 3 springs, no batteries...

It is most unlikely that you will 'accidentally' buy a guitar with active pickups without knowing it. Active circuitry generally costs more and you will usually find out about that at the point of sale when you realise that the guitar is more expensive than you thought.

If you nosed around the back of your guitar, removed the back plate and found nothing but springs, your pickups are NOT active. Active means you'll find a battery - normally a rectangular 9V PP3 type. If it ain't there, it ain't active.

Of the Fender range, I think only the Buddy Guy Signature and Clapton Signaure have active TBX boost circuitry.

spikes said:
i removed my back plate(and broke 4 screw holes) and saw nothing but the back of my bridge and 3 springs, no batteries...

this means ur guitar is a passive pup one

erm i din mean the shiny back plate

the active pups batteries tend to be located at the tonal controls ( on the back side of the guitar)

look for ur vol / tone control , flip ur guitar around. if there is a LITTLE plastic panel there. if there is a plastic panel there , voila , uve got active pickups

Not neccesarily. Sometimes, by some miracle, they can squeeze the battery into the tiny little black plate behind the input jack, if that's what you're referring to.

Easiest way to look for active pickups, unscrew whatever you have at the back, no battery = no actives.

It's either in the control cavity, under a pickguard of a strat, or in the tremolo cavity. Some have a seperate battery compartment retrofitted into the guitar itself.

pooo said:
Some have a seperate battery compartment retrofitted into the guitar itself.

Cutting a hole = not good.

But then again, they ARE active pickups. And from what you told me, wood doesn't matter. Lol.

Just see loh. No battery = Not active.

Some guitars DO come with a battery compartment for easy access. Not always gotta cut hole.
Also i did mention before that actives have their own character, while sterile sounding i still believe the type of woods have an effect of the overall tone, just way lesser than the effect would be with passives.

pooo said:
Also i did mention before that actives have their own character, while sterile sounding i still believe the type of woods have an effect of the overall tone, just way lesser than the effect would be with passives.

Interesting. Never knew that.

Well, one reason for me to be in this forums is to share knowledge and most importantly, learn. LOL. I sound so goody-two-shoes.

But yeah... interesting point.

I only started looking at it that way, and realizing that EMGs do have a lil soul after watching, listening to people like Vic. Wooten in action. Power packed lovely tone.

ppl kinda bash actives like EMGs saying that they sound sterile and that the tonewood goes out the window, all of EMGs sound the same.

but the thing is you cant plug an emg equipped guitar into an amp using your passive-pickup-guitar-eq-settings, it wont sound good.

so yeh, when i plug my yamaha SG into my amp i gotta use my "passive" eq settings, and then change it to my "active" eq settings when i use my LTD explorer.

:)

Praetorian said:
Its like putting a robot next to a human. The two just dont match.

There are ups and downs...dave kushner can do so much nice stuff compared to slash in contra band ( velvet revolver )

I never said actives weren't good.

I nearly put actives in my RG. I am merely stating down what I percieve to be the difference between actives and passives.

Praetorian said:
I never said actives weren't good.

I nearly put actives in my RG. I am merely stating down what I percieve to be the difference between actives and passives.

That's what the forum's for, to voice your opinions hehe. No right, no wrongs. Well there are wrongs at times but it doesn't apply in this case. Hehe. :D

yea well, actives n passives do have different characteristics. when it comes to your axe, there isnt really any right or wrong. it all boils down to personal preference. im selling emg's.anyone wanna buy!! :D:D:D:D

Back