acoustics of a DIY home studio

turbochicken

ok, maybe it's time to get it right.

i live in a hdb flat. in a small small room.

i have some clearsonic stuff acoustic foams on the walls directly behind my monitors. i have pyramids on another wall and i record vocals and other stuff(those with a mic) against it.

to the left of the "vocal booth" is a built-in cupboard so i slide it open to act as a basstrap(don't even know if it works in the first place but still open coz otherwise the sound'll hit the wood and that'd be jialat)

but that's all. i know i should take note of other stuff and areas ie corners and all but have almost zilch idea on whattos and whatnots.

proper basstraps? more foams at certain spots?

someone educated me. :?

actually, what worries me more is the external sound getting in. Like bus passing by, children crying, kara-ok....

when you are recording, the mic is the one that is going change/maintain the quality of source most. What mic are you using? Dynamic or condenser?

Hey i have a problem.

When i mic up my drums, my over heads picks up too much of the bass kick drum. making it a very heavy boom. I even have to to a low shelf cut to get a proper sound...

I know EQing away is not the solution. But the things is !! i dont know the problem !!

Could it be room acoustics that my bass kick is so prominent ?

hmmmm

i'm using sennheiser e835s(dynamic i think).
my room's pretty isolated so sounds entering is decently minimum.

i'm thinking of getting shure ksm44. they're good but are they suitable in your opinion?

i got my foams from a few friends who ordered in bulks(most dealers don't entertain small orders).

i'd think yes, it's partly the room acoustics. deflects and all. plus bass is omnidirectional; it just disperses.

Sorry dude, if home recordin was so simple, we wouldn't have any major recording labels at all.

You cannot compare your impromptus setup to a real acoustic room which cost a few hundred grands to built. And equipments that cost more than a rolls royce.

Work wif what you have, you can reduce the noise and roll-offs to a limit, that's the max.

We can't have too much air in our heads and work properly. Keep your legs firmly on the ground, and work up from there.

ksm44

i've emailed to enquire, but they haven't replied me yet.

the middle of the series(ksm32) is going at $1080.

i suppose the 44s would be a couple of hundreds dearer, at least.

Back