Acoustic Guitar Hunt

I would say that if you want the taylor sound, seagulls don't sound like taylor. They sound like .. seagulls - they have their own sound.

Pier.

Larivee(sp?) also produces good acoustics... u can try them out at err...

the stall infront of luther... lol forgot the name...

i'm not sure whos the distributor in sg is though

I suggest you try out the Ibanez AW series at guitar gallery. I bought one and for its price it sounda good and have onboard tuner also.

action is pretty low for acoustic too

The baby taylors sound very thin to me and I don't think that the are worth that price. Seagulls are nice. =). I played a Timothy too, the all maghony one duno the model. Nice guitar.

you want to play lead with an acoustic and put distortion? eh I've heard of being experimental, but distortion and acoustic guitar pickups dont really work well together. If you want to get an electric guitar sound, just forget it. If you already have an electric, and just need an acoustic sound for a short while on some songs, then just get an acoustic modeller. the cheapest one i know is from behringer. quite cheap and quite good.

and yes. i did get my nick by sliding my fingers across the keyboard.

Maestro are very good sounding guitars for those on a budget. Blueridge are superb too. Best is you go down and try. 8)

and so are Harvest guitars... if i'm not wrong, it was designed by the owner or city harvest church?

good for their prices!

if u want more ex ones can go Larivee, Seagull or Taylor... but be sure to test each one out 1st cuz there's bound to be a large variation between sounds of even the same acoustic brand/model... :wink:

Genoscidal said:
How much? haha got cutaway?

mine was $625 after discount. its got cutaway and vine of life on the fretboard.

there's a satin finish one which feels the same.
try them out cos the cheapest one with gloss finish doesn't feel the same.

IMO the Ibanez Talman is a good choice if you wanna mix electric with acoustic, cos firstly the Talman has magnetic pickups that are made to complement the sounds of an electric guitar. Go find out more from Ibanez website itself. I own a Talman and i think it sounds right with the electric guitar. :)

From the site:

"The acoustic guitar is not the same instrument it once was. It needs to be loud and be able to stand on its own next to a heavily distorted electric guitar. The Talman and Masa guitars are perfect guitars for hard rock, featuring a choice between full bodied, magnetic pickup and the piezo pickup, or a combination of both magnetic and piezo pickups."

TCM50_VBS_12_04.jpg

I'm really one who would advise against Maestro guitars. The finising on the body is ok, but look closely at the fret edges. The way it's cut is not so clean. I saw this on a model that costs above S$600. At that price, you're better off with Seagull or A&L.

Larrivees are very expensive, don't think I've seen any at Rankin Sports. Their prices can get close to Taylors and Martins.
Ranking sports mostly Seagulls and other cheaper brands. Even the higher end Seagulls also damm expensive, the artist series. But rankin sports can try bargaining a bit.
I tried a martin a city music before (the salesperson looked very gan cheong when I took it down and offered to take it down for me with a smile hehe, dun blame him), it has its own type of sound.
If you buy a >400 bucks acoustic, remember to ask the store guy to help you set it up.

Pier.

I don't think Seagulls are good as they have a problem of bloating in Singapore Weather. You must really take good care of it by drying it constantly and using Silica Gel etc.

What is your maximum budget ah? 500? 1000?

For 1K and below, you can get quite a good solid top.

Blueridges are super good and value for $$ for the price.

Maestros are good for their performance but may have some comestic problems. But if you focus more on performance then looks, then it's a keeper.

Takamines, Ibanez, Cort are quite good also, but then personally, I feel that it will be good if u can get a guitar without pickup so that you can choose the pickup u put inside.

TRy all the brands available yar =) You need to try and get the feel of it

haha.. went testing today.. shorlisted these "few". Any Comments?

No Brand Model Price Preference so far
1 Washburn D10SCE 350 *
2 Takamine D series 315
3 Crafter GAE648SP 995
4 Crafter GAE-8N 460
5 Crafter EG160CEO ?
6 CORT MR710F 550
7 CORT CJ7X 850
8 CORT CJ5X-NS 720
9 Epiphone Jeff Bexter 900
10 Ibanez AW158CG-LG 600 *
11 Ibanez SX60RCB120 475 *
12 Ibanez AW10CE 550 *
13 Ibanez Talcman Series
14 Applause by Ovation 275 *
15 Ovation 1300 *
16 Simon and Patrick CW Spruce 864 *
17 Taylor 412CE 2950 *
18 Seagull S6 + CW 950 *

I personally dislike Ovations, but it's got nothing to do with the sound. I find it difficult to put it on my lap sitting down playing, the damm curved body keeps slipping outwards haha.
You got a really huge list there, just try them all and choose the one that speaks to you. Different guitars of the same model can sound different.

Pier.

haha e thing is all of them spoke to me somehow >< in fact i tried a lot more.. haha.. den noted down those which "spoke to me"

Latest posts

Back