ABRSM or Yamaha ?

erm... sorry, i mean which grading to take is better, the ABRSM grading of 1-8 or the yamaha grading of 9-1 ?

Associate Board Royal School of Music ... if i'm not wrong.

It's a highly recognized certificate in music education. I'm taking it now. Basically it's designed for piano players ONLY but crazy people who play the bass, like me .. and my friend who plays the guzheng takes it.

Basically if you ask me, ABRSM will take you further. Just that the theory part really stinks cos alot of things to remember. MOE in Singapore requires you to have ABRSM Grade 6 before you can teach officially under a private/public school in music. Either than thay they can put you out of your job if you don't have it.

I'm taking Yamaha classical guitar (now a lowly grade 7 passed). The curriculum and pieces are different for each of the two Boards, but there is some overlap. The advantage of the Yamaha stream is that the examiners come here twice a year - I was told that for ABRSM they only run once a year.

hi again, anyone knows of any school or center in the jurong west region that has courses for the abrsm on guitar?

Nice said:
hi again, anyone knows of any school or center in the jurong west region that has courses for the abrsm on guitar?

I don't think it would be much of a trouble for you to find a school that caters to the ABRSM syllabus because ABRSM is a more popular choice....

tany said:
i thought MOE needs grade 8 theory to teach?

grade 6 .. my friend was told by MOE to pass grade 6 before she can teach. I teach too, but i'm freelance .. teaching at a school but unregistered so i didn't really bother, but i guess i'll take it if i want to go official on teaching.

even at grade 8, ABRSM claims it does not deem you qualified to teach. Or something like that. Found it under their rules and regulations.

Don't forget there's Trinity College. An alternative to ABRSM.

As for theory, it is not that bad. Just like studying many other things, it is not about memorising but application. If you have that goal in mind, it is really quite easy and fun.

BlackMoo said:
even at grade 8, ABRSM claims it does not deem you qualified to teach. Or something like that. Found it under their rules and regulations.

You need to go for a teaching course after grade 8 or diploma where you learn how to teach music effectively , the psychology of teaching and stuff like that before obtaining a certificate from it which allows you to then teach...

I wouldn't take classical guitar really. I would hire a teacher or just get a friend to teach the basics like chords strumming and stuff, then progress to getting a jazz guitar teacher, because rock and blues can be learnt at home, but jazz theory n application is hard to.

Classical guitar progresses too slowly, and the classical method actually kills the feel of playing guitar, at least for me.

Latest posts

Back