Zoom H4 Owners'/WTBuyers' Read. Potential 1st Recording Gear Review haha..

I bought the H4 reocrder and im planing to use it as an audio interface however i have download the driver and the H4 is connected to my comp. but it just cant be recognised in windows vista. It doesnt apper on the recording and playback device. Any solutions? Im using the cubase software that it came with but when i choose the h4 driver in the device setup it pop out an error msg that say ASIO driver error.

Whoa I just discovered this thread. For the past 1 year I've owned the H4, I never knew there's such an extensive review about it.

For me, I've used the H4 in a few ways.

1. Recorded a classical quartet playing at a cocktail reception with throngs of people behind contributing to background noise. Managed to capture all the instruments nicely and every intonation problem they had. Can also hear the stupid woman in the background who talk damn loud.

As a recorder in a live situation, I think the portability and fidelity of the condensers are well worth the investment. 2 fresh AA Duracell batteries lasted me comfortably into the second hour of continuous recording.

2. Recorded both an acoustic band (2 acoustic guitar + 3 vocals) and a rock band (git, bass, drum, keys & vocals) by getting the aux out from the system mixer into the H4. Well probably the system engineer who managed the system mixer didn't do a good job, the clipping was really bad despite the input sensitivity being set to low. The first 20 seconds was set to medium and the levels were totally maxed out.

The system output speakers were clipping too so I guess not really the Zoom H4 fault. Not too sure about this.

3. Recorded 1 acoustic guitar through a para DI and XLR out into the H4 combined with a SM58 through a vocal processor and XLR out into the H4. Using the lineout into an average 2,1 speakers I have, not too bad, quite happy with the results. Have not tried recording it into the computer.

The only problem is, I can't have 2 more friends over and plug everything in. Looks like time to get a mixer. :)

-----------------------------------------

Anyway, the H4 functions well as a DI with headphone out for quiet jamming in the middle of the night. With all the built in modeling effects, I think this is a really up-point for me.

My only problem is with the compressor and limiter. When I enable it, my recording becomes really terrible. Inconsistent volume swells and gains. The effect, if I may put in my own words, is like having a person on drugs hold the microphone infront of you and jumping around and messing with the mic sensitivity control all at the same time.

Anyone got advice on the limiter problem?

try disable all your onboard soundcard first in device management
then install H4, install ASIO drivers make sure you reboot your pc (download latest drivers @ www.samsontech.com)
under Sounds and Devices, set H4 as default
open cubase
under Device Setup, choose H4 as ASIO, make sure you "reset/apply" the ASIO device.

should work by now.. at least this is what I do.

illuminationexcursion : haha sorry I was going to do a video on H4 + the Zoom H2 review (I've been testing H2, check out this thread http://soft.com.sg/forum/music-kopi-tiam/105061-happy-valentines-day.html ) and launch them all together.

allow me to brief your situations (which I've been through before) :

1. typical. I used a zoom mic clip , mount the H4 on a boom stand and mic it as high as I can + aim downwards at the stage. so it reduces crowd noise. when a band plays these couple of guys would go "eh this band sucks" then after that realise they were being recorded and ask me to remove. wtf...? a couple of AA Sanyo Eneloop batteries last a 2 hours around there I think. or more..

2. this one I gotta say, sometimes you gotta ask the live engineer in detail, is it a "line level" / RCA out / XLR output / TRS output ? etc. cos wrong cables can get you shit recording despite low sensitivity. if he can't control something simple as levels on his output probably he's just a noob or doesn't wanna entertain you properly (trust me I never get along with live engineers. even if they are friendly, they just put up an act most of the time) cos you make their job tough. so your best shot is record location yourself.

Compressor Limiter : never use the compressor or autogain, it's not ideal. and for limiter, only use it if you're recording loud impact instruments like drums. and always record at low levels, if still clipping, you're too close or too bad lanlan suck thumb. limiter is meant to prevent clips during recording. otherwise if it doesn't clip at all it's best to keep it as raw as possible and do the software limiting etc later on in DAW.

blueprintstudios: thanks for the reply. i shall try out the limiter thing again.

come to think of it, probably used the usual 1/4 instead of TRS that time.

well, for now I'm gonna stick with it. maybe when i have the money i'll get a mixer for home studio work and H2 for live recording.

haha damn.. i need to get a h4n to review soon. basically H4n is similar to H4 but all better. so i wouldn't see much of a difference in terms of disadvantages.

I've been rushing to finish my projects then I'll review my H2!

Back