Which electric guitar to get with a budget arnd $500?

skizzer

Hey guys, im new to electric guitar, but i hav a one year acoustic experience before this. My budget for this new guitar wud be around 500 dollars(purely for guitar without am), my preferred playing style is quite wide, mainly bits of blues and jazz and i hope to pick up classic rock and rock/pop this kind.

i have asked for opinions from a few of my frens and they mentioned brands like epiphone (my fren said its like a lower end of gibson). I wanted to join a jam band after i get the new guitar but i still wanted to like pursue my interest in blues/jazz sometimes on my own. So my top priority wud be the suitability of the guitar for different styles and the sound quality! looks of guitar doesnt matter to me!

Thx for all the help and advices you guys can provide for a newbie like me!

oh one more pt to add, my fren asked me to wait for the year end swee lee sales (which might /might not be held) to get the new guitar, izit worth waiting for it? or shud i jus go other guitar shops likethose in penninsula plaza to get one nw? thx!

Well if you want to get an epiphone ( i'm thinking les paul ?) try the Rally GL- 300 at SV guitars in Peninsula. It's only 360 $ i think, and very good value for money.

Whether you want to wait for the sale depends on:

a.) Whether the guitar you eventually choose is available at Swee Lee
b.) Whether it is cheaper to get it at the sales or just buy it from SV or other dealers
c.) Whether you can contain your GAS long enough

I believe that in your case, there are several guitars i can recommend. These include:

1.) Ibanez RG321MH available @Swee Lee and SV. List price is about $500 @SV i believe, not sure about the sales price at Swee Lee
2.)Already mentioned, but the Rally GL300 is a very good buy.
3.) Smash S1/S2 depending on whether you want a humbucker or not

I suggest you go down in person and try all these, and other guitars that will be mentioned here, out to see which one you prefer. Not just tonewise, but whether you like the neck profile, weight etc. Happy hunting!

Thx guys! i shall go down SL and other places in peninsula plaza to test the guitar sound soon! just wanna point out the "whether you can contain your GAS long enuff" point really describes my situation well haha! if nt coz of mid terms next week i prob wud hav jus rushed down this weekend haha =)

For ultimate versatility, I'd say get a Telecaster. The Smash TG Lite or KGarage Telecaster would be a good place to start. Plus you could use the leftover cash to upgrade the pickups or electronics if you wish.

Although old, a Swing Tele T1 would be better than a KGarage and the Smash obviously. It's rather cheap and within his budget

yep a Swing T1 would be the best choices among the suggestions above. it costs 499 sgd from what i see from SV's website. you can still use the remaining $1 to buy a pick.

blues/jazz - hell yea!
classic rock/pop - will definitely suit this style as well.

Interested to get my Musicman OLP? It's a Floyd-Rose modified guitar with DiMarzio Neck and Bridge pickups. The guitar feel is awesome, low action and high output pickups. SMS Brendon(90679019) if interested !

Cheers :)

Back