Which distortion pedal?

xklusivly4u

I have been using multi effects for awhile with solid state amps and now time to explore more on analog routes. I know “which distortion pedal” is very wide general question and there are many products out there. Here are my criteria.

I recently purchase a full tube amp, good overdrive tone but need a bit more push on the drive channel to get more sustain, already ordered Boss Super Overdrive SD1. That should be fine me playing at home.

The requirement is, there are a few panned rehearsals in studios and I don’t know which amp they have, so I need a distortion pedal that works well with overdrive pedals and clean channels. I am not particularly looking for any guitar hero sounds but more like 80s heavy metal, Van Halen, Zakk, Dave Sabo etc. just to give you an idea. I know a single pedal will not sound like Marshall Stack or 5150 but at least give decent tones for rehearsals and possibly for live use if I cannot rent a stack that I want. Thanks.

...so I need a distortion pedal that works well with overdrive pedals and clean channels. I am not particularly looking for any guitar hero sounds but more like 80s heavy metal...

since you need a pedal that can function in both applications as cited above, do consider some units that perform well in both low (acting as a booster unit) & hi drive/ distortion applications. you might want to consider MXR's GT OD which has a relatively wide drive sweep :cool: IMO you won't benefit from an intense/ metal distortion type...

mxr_customshopGTOD.jpg

since you need a pedal that can function in both applications as cited above, do consider some units that perform well in both low (acting as a booster unit) & hi drive/ distortion applications. you might want to consider MXR's GT OD which has a relatively wide drive sweep :cool: IMO you won't benefit from an intense/ metal distortion type...

mxr_customshopGTOD.jpg

thanks Sub. Never play one before. Is it a bit mind like TS9, more on OD side than Distortion?

Back