Which burger should i get?

soft

Administrator
Staff member
dear all,

i split this thread from another one which was asking for recommendation on "which guitar should I get?" thread.

this is because i seen too many of such questions being asked.

i think we must tidy up the forum a bit in order to make it more productive and move forward.

if you want to ask for recommendation for any gear, my suggestion is that the buyer should research the interested product via offical websites or music shops first. then narrow down the selection. find out all the normal stuff that are so readily available on the internet. this including specification and pricing.

read through the forum too. we should not start a new thread because "I WANT TO KNOW". if there are existing threads that are similar to your question, just append them. this way the thread will grow in substance.

this is not to oppress SOFTies from asking questions and discussions but to have a more organised forum for everyone to enjoy.

soft said:
which are the ones you are interested in?

i dont think it is healthy for the forum when this type of questions keep coming up.

maybe you could visit the music store and see which are the ones you like and ask more specific questions?

agreed. everyone seem to be asking for recommendations nowadays. can pple actually start doing some work on their own like going down to every single guitar shop in singapore and trying out and taking note of the prices? its like everyone is starting to get really dependent on others when it comes to this. take the initiative pls thanks.

I on the other hand, think its quite appropriate for him to ask for recommendation. This forum is afterall about music and musical equipments. By giving our choices and feedback, he may know what to expect before making his purchase. Thus giving him a guideline as to how, what and why. Just my 2 cents....

hahahahahahahahhahah. then i guess everyone should be dependent on each other. er, how to play this ah? er wat guitar should i buy ah? er u think i look good with this leather pants or not ah?

this forum is supposed to be a gathering to dicuss gear. not get ur spoon feeding. id dearly love to ask soft to close down this whole forum and see the adverse effects it has on pple cos some pple have taken to a very big dependence on this forum to get their answers which is not the prime concern of this forum. yes this is forum is for asking questions but honestly ive seen some dumb shit like what pickups a certain artist is using and stuff like that. that one can find on the artists site no? id rather questions like how the positioning of certain effects changes the sound and stuff like that. even subversion is being very nice by actually bothering to writeup reviews on the guitar which he has tested which u all very well know theres a harmony central just round the corner which has tonnes more reviews. just that subby is being very nice and giving us a more home based view which is more analytical than biased.

but back to my point, i dont see why pple should start being dependent on others for stuff like this. u mean u need pple to tell u a guitar is good b4 u actually realise that? a guitar is supposed to be an extension of the player so i suggest the player should go out and try all sorts of guitars til he finds one. very simply, he can go down to the shop and try all the guitars which are within his budget and he can do that from shop to shop until he finds one. i think that aids the learning cos then its pretty much hands on abt what he likes. rather than like tell him a certain neck is too fat or too thin or oil finish or poly finish which makes things sticky he can go try out for himself what. like pple always complain abt a sticky neck but after having a prs with a poly neck finish i still havent found out the diff and imagine u could actually influence a person to buy or not to buy something when it might not even be an issue.

Yes what you say is true, and pretty well said at that, and I have absolutely nothing to say about it. But there's no need to say it in such offensive manner I feel. (Although your last post in this thread, that is the long one, is acceptable)

There are also of course, cases where the player is badly treated when he wants to find out how the guitar sounds (im not referring to anywhere specifically.), and hence prevented them from trying out. A bit of possiblity the user has came across this. But we'll just assume he didnt.

Maybe some of us who want to ask questions can do at least a bit of their own research too on the website of whatever guitar your particularly interested in (before trying it out of course)?

Last say:

Newbies asking such question is perfectly okay however. They don't have experience, and they may not have friends to help them.

hmm,

but in this forum, after a while, some of them become your friends...(I RUV U TOO)

so, sometimes, its better to ask friends when you're lazy or you want a quick answer or you are unsure about something that you researched online.

and and and...

as bro edder said,

"maybe he wants a 22 fretter and most strats available are 21?

hmmm...

so I think maybe he really needs our help to find an alder body with 22 frets in that budget bracket...

methinks just live and let live lah

:D :D :D

my apologies to any offence caused, didnt mean to. i was just trying to stress a point that we should be responsible for our own interests and stuff. and just trying to help james out cos ive been noticing too that lately theres plenty of pple putting up stuff like videos in the gear section when it should clearly be in the people guitar section. and some even posted their wares on gear when it should clearly be in the classifieds. and also lately more and more pple have been asking for guitar recommendations. and theres plenty of reviews done by subby on guitars in the review section which also very helpfully includes a list price. so from there (already a big boon, thanks subby!) we can just take note of those and go down and try. i dont see why there was such a need. back then when i was looking for a guitar i didnt ask what i should have but i went to try all but sadly a friend influenced my decision which led me to get a guitar which is now not my main.

story goes i went to try out as many guitars as i could possibly do so. almost settled on a strat. one which really spoke to me. but when a friend heard abt it, he urged me to reconsider as he told me strats cant do metal. back then being young, noobish and naive i followed his advise and bought a prs ce24 instead. yeah it was a good guitar with good tones til this day. but after having the guitar for a few years ive came back full circle to realised i am after all a strat lover at heart and thus have gotten myself one.

im just quoting this experience cos i feel that as much as our opinion can bolster a persons judgement it can affect it in a negative sense. and i feel that when it comes to buying a guitar we have to rest on our own backbone and truly go out there and test guitars til u find something without having pple tell u that his or that is bad cos if it is bad, den ull know for sure and if it isnt an issue den it wont ever be.

I have to agree with soft.

The internet is one big global library of information. With the progess of the W3, I find myself becoming less and less, and in all likelihood - non-reliant on asking people for assistance when it comes to sourcing for the right information.

Today if I need information, Google is my number one stop.

In this context, the W3 has never, ever failed me. It is time-consuming, but the information and insights obtained are priceless.

So I think forummers here ought to pose questions inclined toward procuring opinions, rather than ask general questions like, well, here you go - "what burger should I get?"

I'm just surprised it took so long to address this issue.

This isn't an issue of a single source. Multiple sources of problems exist contributing to such an issue. You can't just say newbies shouldn't ask questions. Neither can you agree with the fact that such "What" questions are degenerating the guitar forum in particular.

For starters, we should look at:
- The structure/infrastructure of the forum
- The quality and of the forummers, old and new
- The rights of new forummers.
- The consumer-drivenness of partners of SOFT
- Other possibilities I may have missed.

There are stickies on this info, but i guess they are not obvious enough, so put a big banner link, like the burger banner that u put, on the main page and make sure its in the middle and big, with the words "Wat Guitar/other instrutment should I get?". Then i thnk the stickies will be useful

What penta & thor had mentioned in their replies are repeated so many times in those type of "what burger to get" threads. I remember the 1st step of improvement that soft had done was to sticky the relevant compiled info by thor into the respective section of the forum.

That being done, if members of this forum still can't be bothered to notice what's appearing in the section pages...and using that to justify a need to permanently do a fixture/banner on the main page, it's quite obvious that their dependency is a serious problem.

What's a stickie in a forum for when it needs augmentation in the site main page? Sounds stupid in every sense and reason it's needed. What this forum needs is a big change in attitude for those ppl so dependent on others to help obtain info which can be easily found. :roll:

burger: ramly, carl's jr, or the mexican one at brewerkz is not bad

massage: hur hur depends on where you want to be massaged..

everything else: amen to what's been said. perhaps if there's some way to make a BOLD/bigger font sticky topic on the guitar forum...

Back