Where have all the bassists gone??

Just writing this out of frustration! It feels like the bass world is slowly dying...dunno what's wrong with today's kids. Alot seemed totally ignorant about the instrument and one kid even told me the reason he chose to learn guitar over bass is becos "there is no glam in bass"!!! Man....the bass guitar is so bloody important! Whenever I do a gig where I can't hear anyone else (bad sound engineer), I would rely on the bassist to tell me the progression of the music. Also, I can groove my best today , the guitarist can be chopping out but if my bassist is ill, the band would sound like a whole load of crap.

Another thing that pisses me off is how little they want to improve themselves! So many times I've heard kids saying..."oh, bassists only play notes, so easy, no need to take lessons"....man, no wonder there is such a huge lack of good bassists and most of all, such a small pool of bassists in general. I think, the current pool of bassists should start taking more obvious actions and try to keep the instrument alive....look at us drummers! Aren't you ashamed? Pick up your butt and start improving! Or should I say....start WANTING to improve! The ratio of bassist to drummers is like 1:2000....haha...something is seriously wrong@!

Hopefully after Bani's workshop today, some of the kids that attend may change the way they think of the bass guitar and help spread the word and excitement. Keep our fingers crossed....

What to do la bro?? The bassist will always be viewed upon as the lead guitarist wannabe. The mentality has been like that for a very long time. I remembered when I picked up the bass long time ago, some of my friends said that its a no brainer instrument as we, bassist have to deal with 4 strings, pluck one string for a note whereas the guitarists have to deal with 6 strings, deal with solos, chords and an array of gadgets to have that perfect sound. I nearly whacked my bass guitar at this group of friends!

hey guys :) jacky was just over to my place for a little jam. his marcus miller is a pretty cool bass, tho im not really a fender enthusiast.

im figuring out my keyboard too! just took it up this year... super basic, but its fun :)

'C major.. C2... F.. F2' *plink plunk*

What to do la bro?? The bassist will always be viewed upon as the lead guitarist wannabe. The mentality has been like that for a very long time. I remembered when I picked up the bass long time ago, some of my friends said that its a no brainer instrument as we, bassist have to deal with 4 strings, pluck one string for a note whereas the guitarists have to deal with 6 strings, deal with solos, chords and an array of gadgets to have that perfect sound. I nearly whacked my bass guitar at this group of friends!
i think, yeah, it's a problem, but i also think it is meant to be that way. the bass is a special instrument and it takes a special kind of person to play it. sort of an 'acquired skill'

When many 'laymen' learn that i play the bass, most tend to give a small chuckle or a look-down-on-you kind of smirk.

One even said, "I heard all bassists are failed guitarists." :mad:

i don't get much negative reactions, usually people regard it as unfamiliar territory, almost mythical in nature

hey guys :) jacky was just over to my place for a little jam. his marcus miller is a pretty cool bass, tho im not really a fender enthusiast.

im figuring out my keyboard too! just took it up this year... super basic, but its fun :)

'C major.. C2... F.. F2' *plink plunk*

Thanks Pal. Really enjoyable n great to know more in terms of playing and friendship man. Will jam again soon. By the way all the best for ur tomorrow Gig at esplande Library. I cant come, got night lecture. cya

A bass guitar is like a really awesome girl who you took for granted.

You don't apreciate it unless it's not there :)

I feel your pain bro :( we bassists are a dying breed !

I played a show this sunday with 2 other bands, and both the bands had "makeshift" bassists i.e. guitarists who played bass because they wanted to be in the band. When I asked them if this affected their performance, they replied "Who cares ? It's only the bass ! Anyone can fill in !"

I was 10 seconds from twatting the fool over his head :x

^^ it is these bands who can't understand why there is something lacking in their performance or why they can't make it big

you guys are tripping. it's hardest to find a good quality singer that suits the style of music that your band plays

wow i know the pain of not being able to to find a solid bass player. been looking for a couplea months now. good, available metal bassists are really hard to come by these days. some1 with a killer tempo and some1 who's able to like stick to a drummers pedal work. itll be awesome if anybody can groove well with the drums.

Its true people take up bass for the wrong reason.
I heard of this girl who took up bass because she thought pete wentz was hot.

Latest posts

Back