What is the rules to fine out chords of a song

mahmudpilot

After hearing a song I want to find out its usages chords but i can’t assume which will correct chords. Such as, after hearing a song i decide it C major scales then a tune stand on C note then am I define it C chord/E chord/G chord? (I know that C= C E G & known about relation also).which note indicate to make chord 1st/3rd or 5th?
What is the rules to fine out chords of a song

Hi there :) Although it took me some time to figure out what u were trying to say but i roughly get the idea..

When u play by ear, the best way to figure out the chord changes are first to listen to the more distinctive bass notes in the song. That will usually tell u if its chord I, IV or V.

However, a chord progression is not limited to just these few chords..do listen to more songs and play more songs to increase ur chord progression vocab.

Last edited:
There are the I, IV, V, VI, VII, etc.
Well, these are more common.

One way of finding out is to listen to the top and the bottom-most note. Those two notes are extremely important. The top note denotes the note that is playing the main melody. The bottom-most, the chord progression.
If you can get those two right, figuring whats in the middle becomes relatively much easier

Back