What guitars should Gibson be making?

I'll settle for customshops. Never really liked the boutique guitars. Tylers and etc etc.

You do understand that boutique guitars are actually supposed to be made to your exact specifications... I don't mean those off the shelf suhrs, andersons or tylers (I'm with you... those Tylers are fugly!).

I meant a McNaught, McInturff, Huber, Schroeder, Custom Suhr, DeTemple, D'Pergo, Grosh, Collings, Myka, Sakashta, Rist etc etc. Made to exactly what it is you want. The neck shape, woods, radius, fretsize, controls, colour, etc etc...

The Gibson Custom Shop makes guitars they think people want to own. Not what the owner himself really wants.

You really want something exclusive? Have something made JUST FOR YOU. Not buy something made for someone else.

get a luthier made gibson copies. the ones ive tried in japan are.... damn..

Like the custom ordered Navigators? those beat the hell out of ANY Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul! You go to the ESP Craft Shop in Shibuya, speak with the luthier (in new york english, mind you. Have met the man... VERY knowledgable), pick out your own woods, place the order, discuss specs, and wait abt 3 months for the guitar to arrive. It's made exactly to what you want... In a Les Paul shape... Damn!:mrgreen:

Theres so much truth in this statement.

Haha... But at the end of the day, all of us want to own a Gibson... a really good one that we can call our own!

too bad the QC sucks though...did you know how many Gibsons get rejected when a new shipment of 100 + guitars arrive...

I know cos it was such a headache for me to check every single one!!! :evil:

Last edited:
So what happened to the rejects? Are they returned to the factory? or kept for the sales?

I believe the "rejects" are those with cosmetic blemishes and more commonly, those uninspiring rather "dead" sounding Gibsons that customers have tested and wouldn't want to buy. The few better ones from the lot usually got sold first. And the remaining bunch usually poses a headache for the retailer - sell them cheap and make no or little profit, or let them take up spaces in the shop to collect dust. I'm guessing unless there are manufacturing defects, there's a no-return policy for unsold Gibson guitars. Plus all the stringent terms and conditions Gibson apply.....no fun being a direct Gibson dealer! :)

So what happened to the rejects? Are they returned to the factory? or kept for the sales?

Well....thats when the troublesome process starts.... gotta take photos of the defective ones and file a claim with Gibson....and the guitars are returned.

Was tempted to ask my boss to let me have one cheap, but then again....why would they do that when they could just return it and get a brand new one to sell for more profits?? :evil:

could it be the reason why gibson's are charging a premium? because they are incurring alot of costs to fly the guitars to Singapore and then back to USA, and after it's back in USA, incur more expenses to fix the defects or extract the parts for new remakes with low QC again, inadvertantly causing more wastage and spirals to become a vicious cycle?

do it once, do it good. even if they charge a premium, they'll be earning more, instead of spending them on such wasteful expenses...

Even Epiphones carry such a high premium price, yet not all Epiphones really live up to their price. I swear Gibson is more motivated by cash then churning out good goods. Its only so long till people realize and stop buying, and Gibson can stop riding on their name to earn their income

Yes, but brand can only carry them so far. If they can't deliver good goods, eventually no one would want to buy them. Besides, there are a lot of cheaper alternatives in the market

^True, but a gibson will always be a gibson.

And this is coming from a guy who plays gibsons everyday but dosent like any of them except the historics (like the R9). I dont own one either..... I own an edwards but someday maybe an R9 will be within reach!

We should be somewhat thankful that not many or none of the amp brands have taken the same business mindedness approach Gibson has taken.

At least there's still quality and integrity in the other sector of the guitaring world.

^true, but a gibson will always be a gibson.

And this is coming from a guy who plays gibsons everyday but dosent like any of them except the historics (like the r9). I dont own one either..... I own an edwards but someday maybe an r9 will be within reach!

r8 one time la!

Back