What are keyboards and which keyboard should I buy (for noobs)

Cheez

We were all once noobs. And as a noob, you would have many questions. That’s OK – we understand because we were once like you! Scouring through the net and searching the forum can be daunting as info are scattered all over the place. Many had asked questions on buying keyboards, but with so many brands and types of them out in the market, it can be very confusing. To make things more confusing and life more difficult for noobs, different manufacturers can call the same thing using different names.

This thread is to help you understand and demystify the types of keyboard and hopefully help you make an informed decision on what type of keyboard you should get. It is not meant to be the definitive wiki for keyboards, but it will put most of the important points in one nice place.

1. Some important terms
2. Types of keyboards
3. What keyboard should I get?

(do read through this in order)

(thread under development)

Last edited:
Some important terms

1. Weight of keys

Keys come in various weight:
  • Weighted (or “hammer action”)
  • Semi-weighted
  • Un-weighted (or “synth-action”)
Weighted keys, as the name implies, has weight so as to feel like piano keys. There are two flavors of weighted keys:
  • Graded/ Progressive
  • Non-graded
Yamaha calls it “graded”; Roland calls it “progressive”; Casio calls it "scaled". What it means is that the lower keys are heavier than the higher keys, simulating the real piano keys differing “weight” across the keyboard. While this may thrill pianists and enhance piano-type playing, some situations require non-graded keys (ie the weight of the keys is even throughout the entire keyboard). Eg: when sequencing midi other than piano (drums, strings etc), having differing weight across the keys can cause problems with accuracy of velocity (ie loudness) of the individual notes being sequenced (see below for definition of sequencing).

Note that graded/progressive keys apply ONLY to WEIGHTED keys. Semi-weighted and un-weighted keys can never be graded/progressive.

In most keyboards, weighted keys come only in the 88-keys version. Any keyboards less than 88-keys are usually semi-weighted or un-weighted. The exceptions to this are Studiologic/Fatar (VMK-176 and VMK-161 Plus – weighted 76 and 61-keys) and the world’s first foldable keyboard from Infinite Response (VAX77 – 77-keys with six custom weights including fully weighted).

The reverse is also true. Most 88-keys keyboards are weighted, again with some exceptions like Studiologic/ Fatar (VMK-88 Plus and TMK-88 – semi-weighted 88-keys).

2. Touch/velocity sensitivity

A keyboard is said to be "touch senstive" if it responds to velocity. That means the harder you hit the keys, the louder the note will be produced (and vice versa). You'll probably be asking, "Shouldn't all keyboards be touch sensitive"? Well, not really. One example is organ playing.

All 88-keys keyboard will be touch sensitive.

3. Midi

Acronym for “Musical Instrument Digital Interface”. Think of it as a language electronic musical instruments use to “talk” to one another. It contains no sound – just digital information. To understand how it works, we need to know how we get sound out from digital instruments.

Only sound generators produce sounds. Sound generators” come in many forms – sound/tone modules, keyboards, some computer soundcards (not all), software instruments etc. When you hit a key on a keyboard, the midi information (what note you play, how hard you hit the key, how long you hold the key etc) is sent to the sound “generator”. If there is no sound generator, there will be no sound. Most keyboards have sound generators in them, with the exception of midi controllers (see below). You can connect your keyboard to other sound generators (sound modules, computers etc) via a midi cable and interface.

Midi can contain quite a bit of information – velocity (how hard you hit the key), duration, mod wheels, pitch bend, aftertouch (a feature in some keyboards of which after you press down a key, pressing it further down produce another programmed effect), program change, starting and stopping a sequencer, sustain pedal, expression pedal etc.

4. Sequencers

A midi file containing information on a piece of music is also called a sequence. To program midi sequences, you’ll need a sequencer. There are various types of sequencers (e.g. step/phrase/pattern etc) of which we will not discuss too much in this thread. In short, a sequencer “records” your midi sequence to allow it for playback.

Sequencers come in the form of hardware (mostly integrated into some keyboards – see below section on “workstations”) or software (e.g. Ableton, Cubase, Logic, Protools , Sonar etc).

5. Pedals

There are basically two types of pedals for keyboards – the switch pedal and the expression pedal.

The switch pedal has only two polarities – on and off. A most common example for its use would be the sustain pedal – you step on it, it sustains the note (on); you let go, the note stops (off). It can also be used (or programmed) for other uses, like starting and stopping a midi sequence, sostenuto pedal, soft pedal etc. You’ll need to know that different keyboard manufacturers may reverse the polarity of the pedal (just to make life difficult and confusing), such that if you use a different brand of pedal, “on” becomes “off” and vice versa. This is usually easily fixed by changing (or reversing) the polarity from the keyboard or the pedal itself (if it allows for it).

The expression pedal is a continuous pedal. With the heel down position, it is at the resting zero position. As your foot steps down slowly, it increases the midi signal from zero to a maximum of 127. Hence it can be used to control things like vibrato depth, volume of sound, or any other programmed parameters.

Some keyboards uses another pedal for sustain – the half-pedal. Half-pedaling is a technique used in piano playing of which the pedal is in the halfway position. The sound produced is therefore different. For piano enthusiasts, this may be interesting. For the average user, it may not make much of a difference. To use half-pedaling, both the keyboard and the pedal must support it.

6. Patches

A patch is the sound you select to play in your keyboard. What you may not know is that a patch may be made up of more than one "elements" or waveform.

General Midi (or GM) is a template of 127 patches used as an industry standard in many keyboards. It doesn't matter which keyboard or sound generator you use; as long as it's GM, patch 1 will always be "Acoustic Grand Piano", patch 76 will always be "Pan Flute", patch 105 will always be "Sitar" etc. So the midi sequenced in GM will use the same instruments as long as the sound generator is using GM. However, different sound generators will have different quality of GM - from fake, cheesy sounding to ultra-realistic sounds.

Since GM, many other template specifications had appeared. Yamaha came up with XG and Roland with GS.

7. Polyphony

Polyphony is the number of simultaneous sound an instrument can produce at one instance. A flute and saxophone, for example, will be one note polyphonic (or monophonic - since it's not possible to produce 2 notes at one time). Electronic instruments can by anything from monophonic to 128-notes polyphonic (limited by hardware). Software, on the other hand, can go way beyond that (commonly into 300-400 notes polyphony), limited by the computer's RAM and CPU.

What you need to know is that a patch containing more than one element will "decrease" the polyphony. So in a 64-note polyphony instrument, if a selected patch has 2 elements programmed into it, it becomes 32-note polyphonic since playing one note actually produces 2 sounds. And for more complex patches that may require up to 4 elements, the polyphony decreases 4 times etc.

8. Multi-timbrality

While polyphony refers to the total number of sounds an instrument can produce, multi-timbrality refers to the number of different patches an instrument can produce at any one time. An instrument that is 16-part multi-timbral will be able to play 16 different patches at the same time. Of course, most of the time that would mean using midi. Most keyboards that has built-in sequencers or able to playback midi sequences are 16-part multi-timbral. This is limited by the midi specification (midi has 16 channels).

(thread under development)

Last edited:
Types of keyboards

Keyboards are technically any musical instruments with black and white keys. Due to space limitations, the acoustic piano and organ will not be discussed here. Keyboards are categorized into the following types:

1. Digital Pianos

Digital pianos are electronic keyboards that have the following features:

(a) They are usually meant to sit at home (to replace the piano). Some may be more portable while others are not

(b) Because it’s meant to replace the piano and home user, it usually comes with built-in speakers (exception Roland V-Piano)

(c) They usually come with the usual bread-and-butter keyboard sounds (piano, electric piano, organ, maybe strings and bass etc)

(d) The sound cannot be manipulated deeply. That means a piano sound will always sound like that same piano sound. You can’t change the waveform; you can’t alter and tweak its algorithms etc. You can, however, add effects to it – e.g. reverb, chorus, EQ (depending on the digital piano model)

(e) As digital pianos, most would try to emulate the piano, and hence most would have 88 weighted keys. Most would be graded.

Examples of current digital pianos (red=portable, green=not portable):
  • Yamaha: P series, Clavinovas, MODUS series, YDP series, ARIUS series
  • Roland: FP series, V-Piano, HP/HPi series, KR series, DP series, RG series, VIMA
  • Korg: SP series, C series, EC series, NC series
  • Casio: Privia (PX) series (mainly portable, some has legs but legs are removable), CDP-100, AL/AP series
  • General Music (GEM): PRP series, PR series, GRP 800, PS/GPS 1600, RPT114, GRPT 140
  • Behringer: EG series
  • Kawai: ES/EP series, CN/CL/CA series, CP series, CE200
  • M-audio: DCP-200
2. Stage Pianos

Stage pianos, although may appear very similar to the portable versions of digital pianos, differ in that they are designed with stage performances/gigging in mind. Hence, they have the following features:

(a) Usually no built-in speakers since you would be using large speakers/monitor speakers on stage. The exception is Yamaha CP300, which comes with pretty good built-in speakers

(b) Most are built to access sounds quickly on stage, including layering (using 2 patches at the same time), splitting (dividing the keyboard into 2 or 4 different range of zones depending on the keyboard model, each zone playing a different patch), and easy control of the individual volume of each layered instrument or instrument in different zones (using faders of knobs)

(c) Other than these, the rest are very similar to the digital piano: same bread-and-butter keyboard sounds (although many come with larger palette of patches nowadays), inability to manipulate waveforms of the patches (except adding effects like reverb, chorus and EQ etc), and most would be 88 graded/progressive weighted/hammer keys (with the exception of Clavia Nord Electro 3.

Examples of current stage pianos:
  • Yamaha: CP series
  • Roland: RD series
  • Clavia: Nord Electro 2/3
  • M-audio: ProKeys 88
  • Kurzweil: PC1 series, SP series
  • Kawai: MP series
3. Synthesizers

As the name implies, a synthesizer’s main feature is the ability to tweak the patches deeply or to create (synthesize) new sounds. Here is when you’ll go into different types of synthesis engines, frequency modulation, analog/digital PCM etc. It is called a “synth” for short.

The features of synths are:

(a) The ability to synthesize/create new sounds from the raw waveform and the ability to tweak each patch deeply such that the end product can be entirely different from the original patch

(b) Many will have lots of knobs, faders and controls to tweak the sound live

(c) Since synth playing is different from piano playing, most would have 76-keys or less that are unweighted (or “synth-action”)

(d) They do not come with built-in speakers

Examples of current synthesizers are:

• Yamaha: S series
  • Roland: V-synth GT, SH-201, VP-550/770 (with vocoder), Juno-Stage, Juno-D, AX-Synth
  • Korg: microKorg/XL, microX, R3 (with vocoder), Radias (with vocoder)
  • Alesis: Andromeda A6, micron
  • Access: Virus TI, TI2
  • Arturia: Origin Keyboard
  • Novation: Xio, X-station
4. Workstations

Workstations are meant to be an all-in-one keyboard, from playing music to production of music. The main features are:

(a) Built-in sequencer (main feature). Some come with simpler sequencers (phrase and arpeggiator sequencers), but neverthelss, still sequencers and hence included in this category.

(b) Synth functions (i.e. ability to “tweak” sounds - hence sometimes called "synthesizer workstations")

(c) No built-in speakers

(d) Different sizes (from 61-keys to 88-keys)

(e) Many workstations also function as midi/master controllers (see below)

Examples of current workstations are:
  • Yamaha: MOTIF XS 6/7/8, MO6/MO8, MM6/MM8 (simpler sequencer)
  • Roland: Fantom G6/7/8, Fantom X6/7/8, Juno-G
  • Korg: Triton series, M3, M50, OASYS
  • Alesis: Fusion 6HD/8HD
  • General Music (GEM): Genesys series
  • Kurzweil: K2600 series, PC 2/3 series
5. Arrangers

Arranger keyboards are keyboards that come with auto-accompaniment function. That means you play a chord with the left hand and the accompaniment plays the percussion/drum and other instruments according to the chord you play. Arranger keyboards with workstations functions are called “arranger workstations” (as opposed to “synthesizer workstations”). Because their main feature (and strength) is in the arranger function, they will be classified in this section instead of under workstation or as a hybrid (below).

The used to be called "portable keyboards" due to the light weight. But nowadays, arranger workstations are not that light anymore.

Examples of current arrangers are:
  • Yamaha: PSR series, YPT series, YPG series, DGX series, EZ-200, Tyros 2/3
  • Roland: E series, EXR series, G-70, GW series
  • Korg: PA series
  • General Music (GEM): GK series, WK series
  • Casio: CTK series, LK series, WK series
6. Midi Controllers

Midi controllers do what the name says - control midi devices (sound modules, other keyboards, PC etc). They come in various forms, but only keyboard controllers will be discussed here. Although many other keyboards also function as midi controllers, this category refers to pure midi controllers (ie the main function is controlling midi). They have the following features:

(a) They produce no sound in themselves

(b) Usually have lots of assignable knobs and faders and other controls.

Examples of current midi controllers are:
  • Yamaha: KX series
  • Roland/Edirol: PCR series, PC-80
  • M-audio: Oxygen series, Axiom series, Keystation series
  • CME: UF series, VX series, U-key Mobiltone, M-key
  • Studiologic/Fatar: SL series, VMK series, TMK series, NUMA
  • Infinite Response: VAX77
  • Doepfer: PK88, LMK series
  • Novation: ReMOTE SL
  • Behringer: U-control UMA25S and UMX series
7. Hybrids and Others

There are some keyboards that don't quite fit into one category. Here are some of them:
  • Open Labs Neko/Miko: these are PCs within keyboards. Sounds are all softsynths and softsamplers running. Comes complete with everything necessary in a PC - audio interface, PC keyboard, USB slots, DVD-ROM etc. They also cost a bomb.
  • Clavia Nord Stage EX: this is not a simple stage piano. It includes a synth section that's very tweakable. It's really a stage performance keyboard (with piano/organ/synth function all into one).
  • M-audio Prokeys sono series. M-audio calls them digital pianos. But they really aren't. They are more low cost portable digital keyboards with no built-in speakers (to cut cost, of course)

Last edited:
Which keyboard should I get?

Now for the million dollar question. There are various decision-making trees that can be used. But I find the most helpful is to focus on function (of the keyboard) meeting the needs (of the potential buyer).

Hence, there are some simple but crucial questions a potential buyer needs to answer (in order of importance):

1. What genre do I play?
  • Determines the manufacturer. Although many keyboards produce all kinds of sounds, some has strength for certain genres and may be weak in others. E.g. Roland slants towards orchestral/acoustic while Korg is more geared towards electronic music.
  • Determines type of keyboard. Electronic music players may want unweighted keys. Pianists or players intending to play mainly piano music may want to consider weighted 88 keys.
2. What am I going to use the keyboard for?
  • Home use or gigging? (determines portability, built-in speakers or not)
  • Playing music or music production? (determines need for sequencer)
  • Am I going to hook it up to a computer/notebook? If yes, what software am I going to use? (determines need for midi controller and the type of controls that comes with it - also related to genre of music)
3. What is my budget?

(thread under development - wait for more...)

Last edited:
Please give any comments. Do note that it's now still in development and a draft. There's still more to come - in the coming week.

Please give any comments. Do note that it's now still in development and a draft. There's still more to come - in the coming week.

Well, when I was deciding on one, from a standpoint of a total noob, my understanding of what to get move from does it sound good to oh my, there is such a thing as touch sensitive to weighted keys, etc.

I guess u could layout a scenario style of presentation alongside the present information categories based presentation.

When I started, I wanted to know about the different brands, their warranties, cost of repair, etc. Is Casio really that bad, does their 48 polyphony makes it better than Yamaha's 32. Is Yamaha base service charge more ex that, etc...

Then whether to get touch sensitive key or not.

Whether an onboard recorder is necessary? The advantages of recording via your PC (and how to) vs just having a built recorder.

Whether to get a more expensive (more features) keyboard and grow into it or start with a basic model and then buy another one later.

What are the different paths of development and what keyboards are better suited for each paths, recommendations and reviews.

As I didn't know enough, I chose the least (money) risk path. I knew I would need a recorder but recording via PC would be ok so I found I could go for an even cheaper model. I went for a basic model that sounded piano enough for my unschooled ears with touch keys. Now, learning to play, and learning about other hardware issues.

This will be covered in the 3rd section (which is the crucial section). I find most of the "recommendation sites" in the internet not very helpful. All they did was to list all the keyboards causing more confusion sometimes. The way about it is to be functional - what is the need of the buyer and whether the function of the keyboard match that.

But before that, the basics need to be mentioned. The terminologies need to be clear, the categories unravelled - so everybody is speaking the same language.

More to come...

I'm still deciding whether I should do an algorithm or some kind of flow chart to help decide. But the forum functions doesn't let me draw them. Still trying to figure out what is best.

Last edited:
I watch a lot of band concert(western,korean and japanese).I will take notice what are instruments being used.
I guess that is a good way to figure out what you want for a stage piano or a synth. For workstation keyboard, normally you have to go to the forum of the big three and hear yourself what other are producing using their board. Youtube also a good way to see how deep people are using these workstaion keyboard too.

For warranties and cost of repair...I don't think those would come into consideration as much as years before. Usually, they will just give a 1 yr warranty. With technology advancement and manufacturers wanting to make money out of consumers, electronic goods are not really made to last anymore. To repair a 3 to 5 yr old keyboard may not be very cost efficient. The companies may not even carry the parts for replacement anymore. This is similar across the board for computers, home electric appliances and also keyboards. So, I think warranties and cost of repair can be left out of the picture.

To listen to the demos from the keyboard manufacturers' sites is not a good idea to me. The demos of the keyboards sounds a lot better than when one actually play it. I really have no idea why. I think its because the demos are recorded in studios and tweaked to the engineers' satisfaction, probably. So the demos are made to be very appealing but then when one actually plays the keyboard, one might be disappointed. The best is to view those raw vids of amatuer musicians from youtube.

I once showed some people youtube vids of piano patches of Yamaha, Roland and Korg keyboards just to prove that Korg sounds the most metallic of the lot.

Great job cheez!! =)

so sorry that i've been inactive this few months, was busy with my undergrad studies, hehe

maybe one of the section should include a FAQ section, and all of us can think of a question and choose the good one to be put there. and allow people to ask question and after we answer those question, we put it up in the FAQ, in a more general way.

So in the end, most of people's question about this will be answered.... that's my opinion =)

Great suggestion piano_ex. That will definitely be the next step. Will put that in another thread. Want to start the thread? The thread should just be a list of questions first. Then we'll compile it - and sticky it.

I think one big expect of all the pros keyboard is the performance mode in all keyboard. I guess is the term being used in the big three. A lot of the patches are very raw. Beside you could do synthesis, Effect processor is very important too. It will continue to sound raw after synthesis being done. Like Reverb and compressor is the most common tool. High end workstation keyboard have mastering effect too. You need to know a little bit about mixing, orelse you will keeping wondering why your sound doesn't cut as other does.

Hi ppl,

I'm considering to buy a keyboard to kick start playing the piano. I'm a total beginner and would love to know if the Yamaha PSR-e413 is recommendable for purchase for use for at least a period of 2 years, until I've got further plans to get a keyboard/piano with a better sound.

My budget is tight, around S$400, please advice which model should I get. I'm looking specifically into the piano sound, the other functions of the keyboard doesn't really matter. Thanks!

Hi ppl,

I'm considering to buy a keyboard to kick start playing the piano. I'm a total beginner and would love to know if the Yamaha PSR-e413 is recommendable for purchase for use for at least a period of 2 years, until I've got further plans to get a keyboard/piano with a better sound.

My budget is tight, around S$400, please advice which model should I get. I'm looking specifically into the piano sound, the other functions of the keyboard doesn't really matter. Thanks!

313 and 413 key touch is about the same. Save more money on 313. Ground floor on SLS sell even cheaper but no demo.

Littletigo, is it possible to start a new thread on this? Let's try to keep this thread clean - focusing mainly on tips. For actual questions on which keyboard, please start new threads. Otherwise, this thread is going to become too long and difficult to read.

Thanks!

Thanks

Thanks Cheez,
The foundation info that you have given for differentiating Digital Pianos / Sequencers / Synths and Arrangers is really helpful.
Have one question 0 Whats Sampling and what does a sampler do? Is it related to Synthesizing (that is, creating new sounds from the existing wave forms?)
Thanks!

Sampler mean you are able to capture sound(known as sampling) or import audio file and store inside your keyboard. That audio file can be used for synthesis and spread across the entire keys as a patch.Normally 4 audio file(or 4 layer) is the max to make a patch. Or each key can store an audio file( or 4 layer max) but with limited synthesis you could do.

Last edited:
Back