"wavering sound" and "crackles" heard

mburg

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum so apologies if this has been answered before.

i've started using reason 4.0 with emu xboard 61 controller and I have been hearing lots of crackles and even occasional subtle pitch drifting (sounds a little bit like detuning) when holding down notes. sometimes there's a period of time when the notes will "hang" for a while as if the program is running out of cpu power, (although i'm not running any software in the background other than the usual antivirus)....

is this a common problem? hope to hear your views/ suggestions for a fix...

thanks in advance

other info:
windows XP, 2g ram
creative live soundcard (quite old 3-4 yrs)

Sounds like your buffer size is too small, but doesn't explain the pitch drift.

Preference>Audio>Buffer Size if your using Mac,

Not sure about Windows.

Good Luck~

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum so apologies if this has been answered before.

i've started using reason 4.0 with emu xboard 61 controller and I have been hearing lots of crackles and even occasional subtle pitch drifting (sounds a little bit like detuning) when holding down notes. sometimes there's a period of time when the notes will "hang" for a while as if the program is running out of cpu power, (although i'm not running any software in the background other than the usual antivirus)....

is this a common problem? hope to hear your views/ suggestions for a fix...

thanks in advance

other info:
windows XP, 2g ram
creative live soundcard (quite old 3-4 yrs)

Thanks for the advice Traqstyle, it was very useful!

1. I increased the buffer size in ASIO4ALL, with much less pitch-bending noted (albeit still very occasionally)

2. I updated my soundcard drivers (SB Audigy 2) , and decreased all my inputs e.g. Mic, SPDIF, etc to zero/ mute, which completely eradicated the popping and scatching noises.

cheers!

Sounds like your buffer size is too small, but doesn't explain the pitch drift.

Preference>Audio>Buffer Size if your using Mac,

Not sure about Windows.

Good Luck~

Back