Experiment : Firewire + USB Multiple Audio Interface ASIO4ALL

blueprintstudios

Purpose of this experiment : I have a Zoom R16 8 input audio interface and an Echo AudioFire4 4 inputs. Lets say I wanna record 12 inputs at once live recording but most DAWs only support 1 audio interface at a time.

Zoom R16
#1=Overhead
#2=Overhead
#3=Snare
#4=Kick
#5=Tom
#6=Tom
#7=Tom
#8=Vocals
Echo AudioFire4
#9=Guitar DI
#10=Guitar DI
#11=+FMR RNP preamp=Bass DI
#12=+FMR RNP preamp=Keyboards DI

It's very possible to combine use using www.asio4all.com , I did not have the time to mike up and record a full band with this, so What I did was my iPhone > 1/8"toRCA+RCAto1/4" adapter > Zoom R16 OR/AND Echo AudioFire4 and I played a "metronome" on my iphone.[highlight][Link To Download][/highlight]

Import into your DAW, watch how when both Left and Right are plugged into one audio interface it's in time but when I plug L to R16 and R to AF4, it messes up/goes out of sync/latency issues.and it's impossible to put them both in sync (at least I tried, for the mili second)

Which means you would have to record other instruments on the other audio interface like the above mentioned and adjust the latency in mixing cos if you plugged it something like..
Zoom R16
#1=Overhead
#2=Overhead
#3=Bass
#4=Keyboards
#5=Tom
#6=Tom
#7=Tom
#8=Vocals
Echo AudioFire4
#9=Guitar
#10=Guitar
#11=+FMR RNP preamp=Kick
#12=+FMR RNP preamp=Snare

the Kick and Snare would NEVER sync and the drums (multitracked) will not work anymore unless you trigger replace.

The laptop used was a 1.66ghz Core2Duo 2gb Ram Windows XP and 5400rpm hdd. 12 tracks? no problem. multi audio interface? no go unless you recorded DI instruments seperately and manual cut/sync later.

I've ever tried recording on my old Syntrillium Cool Edit which did not support ASIO, and i could assign ANY soundcards/audio interface plugged in and record. (my record of 2 Zoom H4 via USB, onboard soundcard, and a firewire audio interface) but same problem all these come with the ugly side effect of latency issues for the trade off for more audio inputs temporarily.

-Ron (www.blueprintstudios.org)

Back