Use of effects...

EugeneSmasher

Hi all,

Started this thread because I'm wondering just how important effects like delay, chorus and reverb are. Personally, I am a rhythm guitarist so all I need are cleans and distortion. I guess I prefer to not be dependent on effects, and to be able to play direct into an amplifier like Angus Young.

But recently I've been advised to use effects to make my tone fuller, especially on clean passages and arpeggios. But I really dislike using effects because they might make me overly dependent on them, and they also amplify my mistakes especially when playing lead.

So what do you think? Possible to get a nice, full tone without effects?

Hi, I think it's hard to get a good tone without the use of effects.

I do not really like to use effects too. And I simply hate stacking effects. But it's almost impossible to get your sound to sound "nice" without the use of pedals. Personally, I used (few years back) to use a delay pedal with my clean sound at the very least.

For dirty sound-wise, these days I tend to rely more on the amp's drive channel than an external pedal, using the guitar's volume knobs for a boost during solos. I don't see the importance of other pedals but for sure, nothing beats having a lot of pedals on your board for show. 8)

Agreed. Gives more tonal variety too. I couldn't live without delay at one point (still applies actually, now that I've started using my multi-effects pedal). But I barely use other effects.

I'm wondering just how important effects like delay, chorus and reverb are. Personally, I am a rhythm guitarist so all I need are cleans and distortion.

If that's all you need, then you've pretty much answered your own question. Don't just use effects for the sake of using effects.

I guess I prefer to not be dependent on effects, and to be able to play direct into an amplifier like Angus Young.

Yeah, of course you can do that. But don't expect to get the same huge ass tone, unless you have his fingers and attitude, and his gear; which includes a modified vintage Marshall Superbass, and not forgetting a couple of 4x12 cabs. ;)

But recently I've been advised to use effects to make my tone fuller, especially on clean passages and arpeggios. But I really dislike using effects because they might make me overly dependent on them, and they also amplify my mistakes especially when playing lead.
So what do you think? Possible to get a nice, full tone without effects?

You know, it really depends on what your set-up is like. Many awesome guitarists have great, full tone without much use of effects. Many blues greats just run a quality guitar to a quality amp. And maybe just an overdrive for the extra kick, when needed.

Effects are just tools. If you need it, then use it. Use it well, use it sparingly. Their purpose is to serve your music. They were never meant to be the center of attention. You don't have to be dependent on them.

Assuming you have a decent guitar, decent amp and decent playing skills, and you want to thicken your clean tone. Then on the effects front you might want to consider a simple delay to layer and texture your tone. Or just a simple boost to fatten things up a little. My Serrano Chili Picoso does that for my cleans. Admittedly, it colours the tone ever so slightly, but in a tonally pleasing manner. However, it does a wonderful wonderful job of beefing up or fattening both my clean and driven tone.

And isn't it better if it's more revealing towards your playing. Take this chance to clean up your chops.

Last edited:
^^^^ absolutely agreed to everything what Wolfman said.

Find your path, don't zig cause everyone else is zigging. Zag to what you want to sound and how your sound benefits the group and the audience and importantly, yourself as a guitar player.

And keep practicing~

Thanks for the advice. :cool:

I guess for this circumstance I need effects, since it's a lot of atmospheric stuff this time, and instead of playing rhythm, I'm playing a lot of leads and clean arpeggios. Even thickening my tone didn't really work, it sounds okay but somewhat empty without effects. So I guess it really depends on the circumstances. Lucky I still have my MFX (almost sold it a long time ago).

one question, in order to get those full tone, which matters more, guitar or effect?
As in general, not taking into account skills and technique.

one question, in order to get those full tone, which matters more, guitar or effect?
As in general, not taking into account skills and technique.

every thing matters actually. a good amp is also very important.

but answering ur question... hmmm i think the effect is more important. guitar comes close though. haha tough..

Amp is undeniably important. It's what your sound comes out of. That already says how much in the scheme of things it affects.

Effects are just tools to get to an end. The guitars, it's construction and electronics, are of which your sound is categorized, using the term rather loosely.

But everything being equal, it's all in your heart, hands and soul.

I find effects (esp modulation ones) get in the way of my playing for the genre that I play. I guess most of us use effects to suit the genre they play. Me, all I need is just a great clean sound and a great dist/OD tone. :)

Usage of more pedals than are available in a china bicycle factory is for kids. You just need one good distortion and a drive to kick it harder, and a noise suppressor!

take ur time to learn wat each effect does to ur sound, the edge didn't get his sound by dreaming it, he spent tons of cash testing pedals and using maybe one or two to get his sound.

for me, i now mainly use dist n fuzz (not od) pedals becos u cannot achieve tat in amps...

Yeah. Agreed with you guys... I never saw the point of having so many pedals or such huge, complicated multi-effects pedals. I discovered that really, even for effects-laden stuff, I really just need delay, and occasionally chorus. Other types of effects just ruin my sound (especially flanger and phaser).

For metal and hard rock, I just use two distortion pedals, and for other stuff needing effects, a small multi-effects will do. I think my problem's been solved. I was actually familiar with many types of effects and have used them before I started this thread, but I needed to get some opinions to clear my head. So thanks for the help guys!

But this discussion should continue though. I think this thread might be very useful for those who are still new to the world of effects. :cool:

most prolly if i dont need so much effect or find needs to use so many effect on guitar, its prolly the stuff i listen to or known or played on guitar prolly not wide enough, varied enough to need those...

its a big world out there with the amount of tool that we can do music. Knowing the tool and what it can do, is better when writing music, doing music arrangement (and not just playing guitar)

playing guitar and effect is just a tiny part of the process to music. Knowing more is never wrong. Of course unless we only want to play guitar, stick to guitar and playing the sound we know only.

Back