Traditional Grip

7earsDoFall

Hello
I have switched from Matched Grip to Traditional Grip some time ago, maybe a few weeks back. I've got question regarding the left hand...
I realise that when I play fast there's some sort of strain, after sometime, that I feel with my 5th (pinky) & 4th finger where the drum stick rests. I was wondering if this is normal or am I holding the stick wrongly?

Thanks.

For me if i try to play wif trad. grip, i hold the stick between my 1st n middle finger, while the stick is suppported by my 2nd finger. But i may be wrong though.. =X Juz dat for me dis way more comfortable. I prefer matched grip still =D

ps:- i kept editing it.. due to the fact dat im not too sure how i exactly hold the stick either.. but dats the most comfy i get.

Last edited:
Yo USADRUMMER! How have you been? Hope things are good with ya!

7years: I too converted to trad grip about 1 year ago due to some tendon issues on my forearm. It was a real challenge as prior to that, I have never played trad before. Honestly, there shouldn't be any serious strain at all. Some muscle aches initially yes, but no sharp pain or calluses of any kind. I think it is primarily due to your grip. Also, always remind yourself to be loose. If you grip too tight, you might end up pushing yourself too hard to get the stick to work. Always make use of whatever bounce the surface produces and practice controlling and harnessing the rebounds. Once you understand that concept, it should work for you. I have posted up some practice journals on youtube and I managed to get the grip to play 80% of what I used to be able to play with match in about 6-8 months. It will not be an easy journey but understanding certain concepts should help you get there easier.

All the best man!

I'm a Trad Player =)

I've never felt strain on my fingers before, maybe u Grip the stick too tightly?

And regarding plslayer's question, i play double strokes using the rebound and i let go of the stick just using my thumb bounce it, there's other way like using ur 2 fingers to bounce it so yeah i use my thumb.

oh.. yeah I'm holding the stick in between my 3rd and 4th finger. I guess my explanation wasn't very clear. sorry about that.
because I feel a little strain on the lower end of my palm close to my 4th and 5th finger when playing with traditional grip (fast/after some time)
My fingers are kind of long and I usually notice my fourth finger covering over my pinky rather than just sitting parallel to it. Could that have contributed to the strain?

so umm, also, does it mean that it won't help to practice on pillow since rebound is strictly required on trad grip?

Hey how do you double stroke with trad. grip?
actually I would love to know the answer to this also, like is there a specific finger that is involved in stopping the 2nd bounce of the stick.

thanks for the great tips.
I appreciate them :)

I'm a Trad Player =)

I've never felt strain on my fingers before, maybe u Grip the stick too tightly?

And regarding plslayer's question, i play double strokes using the rebound and i let go of the stick just using my thumb bounce it, there's other way like using ur 2 fingers to bounce it so yeah i use my thumb.

read ^^^^^^

and i would let go and grip it back for doubles

Man, that's a real pity. The band sounded really good. But, nothing is forever right? I bet you'll find yourself another band soon enough.

Do keep in touch when you drop by.

Yes, I am pretty comfy with most things in trad grip now and I really didn't change much of my old setup. Only stuff I'm fine tuning still are the flam rudiments and getting my old flam licks to flow as fluidly around the kit as possible.

I will keep pushing for sure! Please share some pointers when you do come by next year!

plslayer:

It depends on the sound you want. If you want your doubles to sound tighter, I would play the doubles with my wrist more. If you want it to sound more open, then like what musicpebbles said, bounce and catch.....

All the best!
Long time no talk to, Alvin! Things are going OK. My trio is now no more because the keyboardist (the real reason for having the trio) is back living in Italy with his wife and child because his VISA was denied. That really sucks! So I'm back to being bandless. We (my wife and I) are planning on coming back to SG next year March/April. I'd be looking forward to getting together, jamming, having a good time!

Oh yes: I did develop a small callouse on my 4th finger right where the stick sits. I think when I was playing in humid temperatures it made the stick 'stick' to my finger and caused friction thus developing a callouse. But that's ok. Now it's a lot less prone to getting blistered! Alvin, so you're 80% with traditional grip? That's great, man. I think most of the battle is just getting the left hand up to speed. I love traditional grip in every respect. Now I have to get used to playing matched grip again for certain things! Keep it going, bro!

I noe this may sound weird.. Coz im not a trad. grip player.. How exactly do u do rimshots wif trad grip?.. :confused:

Same way you do it with match! Its all about the aim! Haha.

oo.. but with the way u grip the stick, it is possible to change back to match fast enough just for rimshots? or do u just do rimshots with trad. grip? haha i was wondering coz i nvr saw a rimshot wif trad. grip before :D

You can most definitely play rimshots with trad. Check out Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Todd Sucherman.....

As for switching to match fast, do check out the Jojo Mayer Vids....

TS,from what I know,holding drumsticks in a traditional way is using thumb,pointing finger and middle finger.
Same like using chopsticks but in a different position.
But,I suggest you try finding out yourself by choosing which position of holding the drumsticks suits you.

Back