tool for measuring action

when i last took my strat to a store for a setup, i noticed the tech put a curved ruler beneath the strings when adjusting string action. may i know where i can get it?

not sure but the curve part, but for action, you can get feeler gauge at some serious hardware store. The measurement goes by the thickness of the piece. Each piece has its own thickness imprint on it, in 6/32, 3/128 inch etc.

i got mine from a hardware store at the building near lido, 3 or 4th floor couple years back. Not sure if the shop still there thou. They have lotsa cool tools selection, even thou the price is a bit exp, imho.

the curve thing is a radius gauge.
i guess yours is a strat...so means adustable saddles.
that thing is used to make sure the strings follow the radius of the fretboard.

you can make your own anyway, just cardboard, compass and a blade :p

That hardware shop PatheinRaindropMoe is referring to is called HandyMan. I got my feeler gauges and tung oil there. Good shop for guitar tech stuff.

Wow... Such precision.. I don't use these cuz i don't know how to make the readings i got useful..

When i set up i just aga aga... somes times can setup real fast, some times takes damn long to hit the right spot...

Are these tools really useful? For me, i measure the action by depressing the strings down on the 1st fret and last fret, or 1st fret and 12th fret, then checking the clearence over the 7th and 8th fret. Estimate it to be about half to an mm for all strings then its set for me.

After neck is straight, i lower the saddles until the buzz surpasses a threshold i give at standard D tuning. Then tune up and tada! How would i make use of these tools in such a situation? Interested to know more.

MadWereWolfBoy if you're already setting up without the help of the tool then you probably won't need it. It's actually for you to reset your guitar to factory specs, then you tweak to taste.

Feeler gauges are meant to measure relief. I follow the prs set up of 0.010" at the 7th fret of the 6E string after depressing on the first and last fret. Instead of using a feeler gauge, just use the 1E string of a standard 10s packet of string, cut off a short portion, bend it into an L shape and glue one end to an ice cream popsicle stick. For action I use those metal rulers where the scale starts on the edge of the ruler, ie. the 0 mm is the edge of the ruler. I have a medium action of around 1.56 mm (I actually converted this from inches) at the 12th fret which is just right for me.

In order to measure radius, or to make your own tool to measure radius, visit this link:

http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorkshop/radius.htm

and download the pdf or whatever suits you and just print the tool out on A4 cupboard.

Oh okay. I tried to make some sense of these numbers previously but it seems i don't have a value that always works for me (or maybe i just can't adjust something to .010" without failing to get .011" or .009"). So i think i'll stick to me tweaks to taste!

yeah i also use the gauge 10 string as a reference for relief, but it's pretty hard to follow to curve on the neck when adjusting the saddles on my strat. i already downloaded the neck radius chart but can't print out on cardboard using my printer.

perhaps can print out, paste it to cardboard. It will be easier..

if you wanna spend some money, get this book below, can read up for fun and the last page contain what you need and more. It has the radius thingy plus some other stuff to setup your guitar. Best thing bout it, its a sorta sturdy soft plastic piece. Pretty useful.

If dont want to spend, check out national library. I ever borrow it from library before. Shud be available. But the last page, heh, unless someone itchy hand, decided to keep as their own, if not, shud be able to see it..

5199_1lg.jpg

Back