tonewoods: fundamentals and overtones?

I'm an avid Ibanez user, so I'll comment on the basswood.

Basswood is what people normally refer to as the boring tonewood. Because of its association with low cost guitars, the name itself brings on some bad impression in people.

A quick Google search reflects this:
Basswood is a soft wood with tight grains. Its relatively inexpensive of all the usual guitar woods, and it’s easy on router bits in the factory, easy to sand, and easy to seal and finish. The softness of basswood means that sharp highs are dampened and smoothened. That helps offset the tinny sound associated with knife edged tremolo contacts. The softness also fosters a weaker low end. It’s light in weight, but not because of large pores. Rather it’s low in mass overall. Deep, breathy sub-lows aren’t resonated in Basswood. The reduction in these outer frequencies leaves the mids pronounced in a hypothetical response curve. Its very suitable for the typical guitar range, and very suitable for lead guitar, because of its pronounced “out front” sound. Complex overtones are muted along with the highs leaving a strong fundamental tone.

Production notes: Japanese factories like Ibanez seem to get a tan colored, more uniform Basswood while other Asian factories get a more flawed yellowish basswood. And there seems to be a big difference in tone. A clearer, darker Basswood should produce more sound, while the yellowish lower grade seems to have more of the undesirable tonal qualities of Poplar. A hardtail emphasizes the reduced dynamics of the outer frequencies.

What many fail to notice is that within the same species of wood, there are varying grades as well. High grade basswood (generally found in the Prestige series) are considerably denser than those found in, say, the Gio series.

This contributes to a great chugga chugga bass, and searing sustain for leads. It definitely does not generate huge amounts of overtones, as its meant to be used more with distortion and gain. Genre recommended would be definitely hard rock / metal.

Its all up to the guitarist preference in the end. Such a neutral sounding wood would naturally make a good mate for people who love to color their tone, and would like a more even standing group that is more accomodating to this style of guitar route.

Versatility? Can an Ibanez RG play blues? Well, yes, definitely. With the right amount of effects plugged in, but don't expect the overtones from say, a les paul or stratocaster.

hahah seems i tried to contribute but pple here are far too jaded already. was hoping that pple would chime in with personal experiences rather than posting stuff we can find on a search engine.

hmmmm ..... ok I posted the stuff for all "unjaded" ppl and especially for the true blue newbies, as a general guide to ppl who absolutely have zero idea or expirience about tone wood.:confused:

Sorry dude - I didnt know that this thread was for ppl with personal expirience ... i can delete the posts if you want?

also, no use discussing with those who can't hear the differences. no offence please, many of us cannot hear the differences, we only hear what we like & don't like. :cool:

Ash vs Alder? not that obvious... Mahogany vs Basswood vs Ash/Alder? Definately.

But most obvious to me is solid vs chambered.:mrgreen:

Back