Tom Holmes Japan vs Burstbucker Pros vs Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers

Whitestrat

Here's the comparison so far. Last set to come soon are the Skatterbrane Waterbrane pickups.

Out of the 3 listed in these clips, only the BB Pros are A5 magnets. The SH55s and the TH Japan sets are A2s.

Here's what I managed to whip up in a song format. A way to hear the various pickups in a mix ans see what comes out and what gets buried.

Tom Holmes in a chambered standard: SoundClick artist: Demioblue - page with MP3 music downloads

Same guitar, with BB Pros: SoundClick artist: Demioblue - page with MP3 music downloads

SH55s in a swiss cheese LP: SoundClick artist: Demioblue - page with MP3 music downloads

All these clips use the SAME pedals, and SAME amp cab simulator with the same settings. Hardwire SC2 settings might vary slightly in terms of EQ, but drive level remains the same. TS808HW settings remain the same.

woah, the Tom Holmes sounds damn smooth. creamy?
BB sounds the thickest of em all, but alil lack in dynamics imo, but sounds the sweetest w distortion
SH55 sounds sweet too. but i think i prefer the TH most.

effing sexy playing btw.

Last edited:
heh, white bro, next time if you have demo clip, dont list out the brand name or details of gear so soon. You might have interesting outcome.

bro whitestrat,

Not trying to angkat u ah bro. But seriously, i think its about your fingers and how you project the songs out. you have very good dynamics and feel to the songs u record.

install those pups into a guitarist who has poor technique, it wont sound good at all.

I like how the holmes sound on the track. warm and creamy
personally. i like how the buckers sounded more. maybe Il Canto Della Vita that i am fond of and how the tone blends with the track.

Nice lah bro...
Now gimme more discount on the seths!!
hehehehe
;)

hey hey strat bro!!

Iam willing to take those seths off your hand and accept what ever amount you will pay me to accept those pickup!

I can deal anytime, but preferbly you deliever to me at my convenience with the pickup and amount i agree on, which you will pay me.

Thanks for the deal, looking to dealing with you and have a nice day!
Love
Mr sibey duh siao!

Last edited:
Not enough HONK. :mrgreen:

I really like my PAF type pickups to honk like no ones business. When people play my Les Paul its either they love it or hate it, its particular woody and nasal compared to other PAF type pickups.

great comparison:) i personally loved the tone of the BB more. it does sound fuller.. the first clip didnt exactly sound "creamy" to my ears.
i found that the seth lovers sounded interesting too, wish more gain was pumped into it!

great comparison:) i personally loved the tone of the BB more. it does sound fuller.. the first clip didnt exactly sound "creamy" to my ears.
i found that the seth lovers sounded interesting too, wish more gain was pumped into it!

I heard a PAF blind test on MLP and the BBs had the least votes because it was sorta the fattest among all. Players prefer woody, bright, biting tone when it comes to PAFs.

I heard a PAF blind test on MLP and the BBs had the least votes because it was sorta the fattest among all. Players prefer woody, bright, biting tone when it comes to PAFs.

i see.. i've never played them before so i don't know!
btw dudelove, do you have a youtube video or a clip on an example of a honky les paul tone?

btw dudelove, do you have a youtube video or a clip on an example of a honky les paul tone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIArmP6HcZk

My favourite guitar player period. Woody, airy, nasal, honky, whatever you want to call it. This vid doesn't have his middle position tone. Now that one, really really honks like crazy. Very out of phase-ish

I showed Mike Bloomfield's videos to Mick at Manlius pickups. I must say, he really nailed it..

Last edited:
mannn i cant get used to it:( it sounds kinda harsh and not very guitar-like to me, but an interesting tone nonetheless! thanks dudelove, i want to see you play sometime! tone is always interesting to talk about.

i think having dead strings will bring u close to that tone!! the kind where rust starts to appear and you can scrape the strings for a raspy kinda sound.

i think having dead strings will bring u close to that tone!! the kind where rust starts to appear and you can scrape the strings for a raspy kinda sound.

No!! Thats not true at all.. Its the character of the pickup that has lots of bite and top end to it.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125667&highlight=albert%27s

Here's the link to the blind test. You'll realise what I mean when I say the BBs stand out cos they are thicker. Then again, to each his own. So, I can conclude, you're not really a PAF person. :mrgreen: Okay, well, not in the blues, low gain context maybe... I generally don't like high gain tones in general.

Back