Thicker strings for lower tuning needed?

So i was wondering if thicker strings really are needed. does it have to to do with the way ur pickups interact with thinner or thicker strings? do thicker strings mean more bass?

I wouldnt say its needed but having a thicker gauge means that the strings wont be so flabby and you can keep the strings at a tension that you prefer. its like if u stretch a rubber band over 10cm (standard tuning) and then later move it to maybe 8cm (dropped tuning) it will feel flabby and will vibrate over a larger area if u notice..

Also, the flabby-ness causes fret buzz most of the time (depending on how much u drop) and u wont be used to the tension so the whole feel of the guitar is changed.

You don't necessarily need thicker strings, just that many players prefer to use thicker strings to keep the tension when they down-tune. I've used Open C tuning with gauge 10s and I had no problems at all.

thats really up to your preference. some people play with 8s and others 13s and they are all comfortable with the gauge they use. thicker strings might help with the flabbiness of the strings but theres always a limit to what your hands and sometimes guitar can take.

i personally use 11s and i find them more natural for me cos 9s and 10s are sometimes too flabby and they break more easily.

Hijack thread.

I picked up guitar again after leaving it to gather dust for some time. i realised i have difficulty palm muting and alt picking my low E string fast (thickest). Feels very flimsy to be picked properly, tried with all other strings which are fine.

Example
-------
-------
-------
-------
2-----
(palm mute)

I dont have this problem before, but i could vaguely remember i replaced my strings with a thicker gauge last time..

Can anyone advise? now stuck at some parts which require the low E string picking..zzz

also, do thicker strings lead to easier alternate picking (cos the strings dun flab arnd as much)?

do keep in mind also that picking effectiveness relates to your pick as well. picks which are too thin/ flimsy tend to flex too much when you pick fast hence manifesting in mistakes.

how thick is your pick?

The flabbiness can be good or bad. Good if it allows ur pick to go thru the string with minimal resistance, bad if the strings are so flabby the tend to catch ur pick as u play, causing extra resistance and hence slowing down ur picking. Hope this helps. :)

To alt pick fast, I personally recommend a thick pick. Jim Dunlop Tortex maybe?
I think alt picking is the first you should try picking up again.
Its the most important technique.
There are actually many tutorials about palm-muting on Youtube so you could check it out.
But basically, palm muting for the e strings you should just lightly put your palm on the very side of the strings which are nearest to the bridge or whatever they call it. Make sure the sound is muted by checking if there is still a tone.

One good practice for alt picking is Sweet Child O Mine Intro. Really improved my skills for Alt Picking when I started.

Back