The 15th Drum Xchange Singapore at Geylang East Library - 1 November 09

The 15th Soft Drum Xchange Singapore
1st November (Sunday) 2009, 12-4pm
at Geylang East Public Library - Merpati Hall, 3rd floor

What is Drum Xchange?

The objective of Drum Xchange Singapore is to

- Promote the exchange of drumming knowledge, drumming techniques, drums and drum equipment

- Identify and nurture drum talent in Singapore

- Welcome all regardless of race, language, religion, gender and music genre.

:: Programme ::

Drummer Showcase - James Pang, Founder & Drum Principal, My Drum School

James_MyDrumSchool.jpg

The depth of James' musicality begins from his early musical upbringing. James discovered his love for music at a tender age by experimenting with a dizzying array of instruments such as organ, classical guitar, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, clarinet, flute, piano, drums, and percussion. As a young budding musician, James is also diligent in studying the works of classical & contemporary composers, fostering an appreciation of form and a serious command of coordination techniques.

At sixteen, James was introduced to master teacher Blair Sherrill, a student of world-class drummer Dennis Chambers and began private drum lessons with Blair for 4 years in Singapore. He started performing with Blair for YMCA Singapore in 1999, and gradually brought his performances to many campuses and around town. Since then, he has performed before thousands of people in countries like Australia, Thailand, East Malaysia, and the United States.

James graduated from the summer program with the L.A Music Academy and also received a Certification of Accreditation from Orff Institute (Melbourne). He had the privilege to study with drumming professionals like Blair Sherrill, Gary Ferguson, Quentin Dennard, Dave Beyer, Mike Hughes, and Jimmy Lee. Besides being engaged with popular events like Musiac Conference 2008 and Singapore Food Festival 2009, he also travels to other countries like East Malaysia and Thailand to perform at conferences.

James has a special ability to inspire and educate others via the drumset. He is passionate about his work, radiating joy and patience while graciously sharing the Spirit of Drumming

As an educator and principal, James owns the nationally recognised My Drum School in Singapore. Within less than two years, the reputable school has ten teachers and over 250 students - a testament to James’ hard work and ever-growing passion to offer a high level of music education in a distinctive contemporary setting. Besides tight schedules in performances, he is also currently serving as a music director and drummer in his church for more than 10 years and as a drum consultant to more than 50 churches in Singapore.

James' music accolades are paralleled by his academic achievement - completed his Bachelor of Business Studies with a First Class Honors at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He held two scholarships and was on the Dean's List for three consecutive years, and won a gold medal for emerging top of his academic cohort.

In 2006, James became the face of NTU’s Nanyang Business School (NBS) print advertisements. His pictures appeared on bus-stops shelters all over Singapore and the newspapers, making him one of the most recognizable faces on campus. In July 2009, James was featured in The Business Times as one of the successful entrepreneurs under 30 in Singapore.

James will be conducting a drum workshop covering the following aspects:

Tips on Practising

Importance of the Single Pedal

Introduction to Linear Drumming

For those of you not able to make it, if you have questions for James or My Drum School, please share them here and we will get him to answer them.

For more information on James & My Drum School, please check out
http://www.mydrumschool.com/

Carlos Drum Setup & Tuning Workshop Part II by Fu Man (drum_hobbyist)

dxs_carlos.png

The last month when we reviewed this drumset the verdict was incomplete because of stock skins.

We have obtained a new Evans G2 Batter Pack (consisting of 12, 13, 16 and 22" G2 batter skins) and some reso heads for Toms.

Stay tuned as we give it another round of drum testing !!! Or come join us Tune & Drum it !!!

Free Play + Drum Xchange

Usual Drum Xchange - sharing of technique, gear talk, gear reviews applies before and after applies as per usual.

Last edited:
Proudly supported by:

Jurong Green Community Club
logo_pa.jpg

Singapore DrumFest (Tan Boon)
logo_drumfest.gif

Singapore Drumfest

Drum Resources (Nigel)
logo_drmp.jpg

Drums Resources

Committee Members:
RudimentalDrummer, drum_hobbyist, killerbee, mel80, snowflier, caijunlong, Frummer, spinningsticks, myner, ceing, plainsman, Soft

If you are an educator or professional and would like to drop by, please email us at drumxchangesingapore@gmail.com and we will be in touch with you!

All is welcome!

Thanks and see you there!

Best Regards,
Team DXS

Useful Links
Soft DXS - Membership Registration
Soft DXS - House Rules
Official T-shirts designed and produced by starvingartists

Please reply and add on to the list of attendees:

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinningsticks
11. Myner
12. Ceing

Come for awhile.... few hours only !!!

After that you can study twice as fast :mrgreen: (and drum 2x speed too)

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinningsticks
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity

i'll be going there but probably reach around 1 plus or so. applied for 2 hours off from duty just for it ok! hahaha

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinningsticks
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity
15. Emman + 1 friend
17. Brandon (SMU) + 2 friends
20. James & MDS - 7pax
28. blacknails

Last edited:
Come for awhile.... few hours only !!!

After that you can study twice as fast :mrgreen: (and drum 2x speed too)
Woah next day Social studies and chemistry. followin day history then geog then history again then bio. ALL MEMROISIN SUBJECTS MAN!!!! nvm. i hope ill be there for 16th drum exchange if it doesnt clash with my holiday:)

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinningsticks
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity
15. Emman + 1 friend
20. James & MDS - 7pax
28. blacknails
29.Crajche

looking forward to it.

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinningsticks
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity
15. Emman + 1 friend
20. James & MDS - 7pax
28. blacknails
29.Crajche
30.johannlow

Will be there ard 1+ to 2pm cos I have church duties until 12+ish to 1pm.

@drumbassador: hey I'm really glad you will be coming down! its casual such that all of us gather will to do things that are drum-related together. its gonna be fun! do introduce yourself when you're there aiight ? ;)

updating the list:

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinninsticks + 1 friend
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity
15. Emman + 1 friend
20. James & MDS - 7pax
28. blacknails
29. Crajche
30. johannlow
31. drumbassador
32. firehorn

Mapex Meridian Series (MIPA award for the best acoustic drum 2008/2009) has arrived in SG!

mapex_meridian09.jpg

New for 2009, the Mapex Meridian Maple ushers in a new level of quality and functionality in mid-level, all maple drum sets. With a completely new lug and redesigned lightweight Isolated Tom Mounting System, the Meridian Series features bright and resonant all maple shells in a wide selection of lacquered and covered finishes. Each Meridian drum set is also equipped with all new, feature-packed Mapex 700 Series hardware.

Along with the introduction of the Meridian Series comes the introduction of Mapex’s newly designed Isolated Tom Mount System. This version of the system is significantly lighter in weight and lower in profile than before and is more easily mounted and adjusted.

Additionally, the unique Mapex off-the-shell design and single-point-of-contact lugs distribute tension evenly across the shell for even better resonance and sustain.

The Mapex Meridian Maple is also available in three Delmar® Sparkle Wrap finishes. These durable, yet dazzling coverings are ideal for players that are constantly on the move. Platinum, Indigo and Burgundy Sparkle Wrap finishes are only available in the six-piece Studioease Shell Packs. Hardware pack sold separately.

* 7-ply all maple, 5.8mm toms and snares, 7.2mm bass drum
* Newly engineered Isolated Tom Mount System (ITSTM)
* Newly designed lug with smaller footprint for lower overall mass
* 2.3mm Mapex Powerhoops
* Spring-cushioned floor tom legs
* Eight coat, hand-sanded, high gloss lacquer finish
* Redesigned Bass drum tom mount with and built-in adapter for optional boom arm
* Low-profile, recessed bass drum claws with cushioning gasket
* 10 lug all maple snare drum
* Remo® UT Pinstripe heads
* Instructional Setup DVD included

More Information

Mapex Meridian Maple Product Page

Gregg Bissonette plays the Mapex Meridian!!!

Dom Famularo plays the Mapex Meridian Maple

Mapex Meridian Takes Top Drum Set Award At MusikMesse

A Mapex Meridian Maple 6-piece Drumkit will be available this Sunday for Soft DXS attendees try out.

See you there!!

Cheers,
Team DXS

Last edited:
@drumbassador: hey I'm really glad you will be coming down! its casual such that all of us gather will to do things that are drum-related together. its gonna be fun! do introduce yourself when you're there aiight ? ;)

updating the list:

1. RudimentalDrummer
2. plainsman
3. soft
4. drum_hobbyist
5. killerbee
6. mel80
7. snowflier
8. caijunlong
9. Frummer
10. spinninsticks + 1 friend
11. Myner
12. Ceing
13. benlovesdrumming
14. laughableinsanity
15. Emman + 1 friend
20. James & MDS - 7pax
28. blacknails
29. Crajche
30. johannlow
31. drumbassador
32. firehorn

sure man. i shall introduce myself. im indian by the way currently serving my ns. i guess i will be one of a kind there:)

Back