Studying music in LaSalle

jkcm129

I'm not sure if any students out there are able to help. I'm 24, graduating with a degree from NUS, and i'm looking to study music in LaSalle.. (cause music has always been my passion)

Is this advisable? Considering most students would be a lot younger.

And also, i would like to pursue a career as a vocal instructor/choral conductor. Can any current students tell me if the music degree programme in LaSalle sufficiently prepares you for that?

LASTLY,
what are class timetables like in LaSalle? Are we able to take on external jobs while studying? Or is it like a rather busy 5-day week kinda schedule?

THANKS IN ADVANCE PEEPS!

I just want to say that try to look beyond the borders of Singapore for music institutions because for the money that you'd have to pay at Lasalle you might want to consider overseas.

Also do you consider yourself a 'player' cause if you do then some music colleges are more suited to 'playing' i.e. more emphasis on the aspects of playing rather than harmony theory and composition. Also don't let 'big name' schools fool you into thinking that they are the best school to learn music from.

Lastly if and when you do get to such an institution, know that the real education you get isn't in the classroom but outside. I.e. in the clubs, bars even on the streets busking. Learn from them because you can only learn so much from inside a classroom but if you're out there gigging, you learn 24-7.

Hope that helps. PM me if you'd like more info.

Regards.

my best advice:

don't get conned and stay away from lasalle.
go overseas if you can.

the moment you step into lasalle you'll know why.

pinkbox, the grass is always greener on the other side?
by the way how many lasalle schools are there in sg now?

:-D

Berklee College of Music and Musicians Institute.

Well thats what I know but I'am sure there are other great schools overseas as well.

yea reason being? what's the reason? I can't just tell my parents I'm going overseas to study lasalle cannot make it. Then they say how u know? then I say just cannot make it not worth it they say how u know?
this can go on for ever so i need to know a solid reason why so

Well for one thing if I'm not mistaken tuition at Lasalle is something like SGD14k a semester. One sem at Berklee Tuition is around USD10K. Which is about the same but which of the two would you rather go to? Also, if it is important to you, a Berklee degree is recognized worldwide but Lasalle who???

The important thing is that you open yourself to opportunity because by going overseas you get your foot in a much larger music scene and if you play your cards right, you definitely get a chance to play there. Over here, whether you go to Lasalle or not, opportunities aren't that many. On top of that you get to taste living abroad with different life experiences that you just can't get at Lasalle and this will forge who you are as a musician.

Aside from Berklee, you have Musicians Institute and Los Angeles Music Academy in LA, Atlanta Music Institute, in the UK there's University of Westminster, Wolverhampton, Academy of Contemporary Music. If you don't want to look that far, check out some schools in Asia, Japan has a few, Korea has a few, I heard of one famous school in Bandung among the Indons I forget the name but churn out kick ass players as young as 16. I met some of them when I was staying at the Hyatt Bandung a while back.

All I'm saying is that there are options aside from Lasalle if you want music degree, if you want to learn how to 'play', that's something else.

If you're talking just tuition fees, Lasalle is about the same but actually there is a way into Berklee, a sort of fast forward way that can allow you to save lots of $$$.

Some of my friends spent a short as a year and a half at Berklee before graduating. Saved a load of cash. However, what Berklee teaches you is probably a holistic music education but again if you are looking to learn how to be a 'player' with a greater emphasis on technical aspects of playing rather than just theory, some other schools like MI or LAMA might be more geared towards that. I don't mean to say that you can't get good at playing at Berklee, its just that you gotta know you don't go to these schools and expect to be spoonfed like how education is in Singapore. Go out and play rather than just learn in class. You can't really do that in Singapore.

on top of school fee in USA I need to pay for food, i need to pay for lodging, I need to drive car, i need to cook, etc etc singapore no need. So I save money in singapore, those lodging and food , transport all not cheap leh. So how? unless I can convince my parents about the education system about US being superior than Singapore I cannot go.

my opinion is studying locally let one
stay and live with family and for work wise,
as long as in Singapore the degree is recognized.

there are people in the industry without music
degree still make it in the scene, many times it
is your performance, portfolio and work.

having a proper qualification let one able to teach
in school. without, may still stand a chance if one
has enough playing experience.

many times I also have the idea of quitting my full
time job and go study music fulltime using my CPF
funds, but think again ... not young anymore to daydream.

music is my hobby or maybe part-time sideline.

to those who are young better pursue what you want before
you get old ... my time Lasalle not established yet. only way
to pursue music is at Yamaha.

may someone comment ?

Last edited:
on top of school fee in USA I need to pay for food, i need to pay for lodging, I need to drive car, i need to cook, etc etc singapore no need. So I save money in singapore, those lodging and food , transport all not cheap leh. So how? unless I can convince my parents about the education system about US being superior than Singapore I cannot go.

Stop whining like a little girl and take control of your life.

Question is how badly do you want it?

If you want it bad enough, then go and get a job while you're studying to pay for your tuition just like almost every other college student would do. If you only want your parents to pay for everything, you'll end up missing the whole point like most Singaporeans studying abroad.

Would you be willing to work selling take out food for $5 per hour 3-4 hours a day just to take lessons from a private instructor? At that level, they won't want to waste their time teaching you if they see you ain't got the drive.

The ones who really shine in such music colleges are those who struggle to get a scholarship to help pay part of their way while they works their asses off to pay the other half. Forget about owning a car when you're there, these things will not make you succeed. Gotta learn the hard life to succeed a musician.

Lastly if you only want your parents to pay for everything, then I don't suggest going abroad because you're not going to get what you need to get out of a music college.

Back