stop playing the bass...

aquanaut

am thinking of giving up bass playing and considering taking up electric tambourine...

anyone thoughts from anyone?

Depends which instrument you are more passionate about. If you're no longer passionate about the bass, go for the switch.

But it's sad though. There are already so few bassists to begin with. :(

Actually, as a guitarist who can also play the bass, I'd recommend guitarists to also get some skills with the bass as well since essentially the bass is a guitar too and follows guitar tunings, just an octave lower. I started playing bass rather late though, but I agree that it's never too late to learn. And it is a lot easier to learn bass if you are a guitarist already.

Yup, the new generation should notice the under-rated but ever-so-important bass. In my opinion, rock music can do without bassists because I notice in some rock bands you can't even hear the bass at all, but in jazz, fusion, blues, rhythm and blues, etc, without the bass, nothing can happen. The young have gotta realize that...

In my opinion, rock music can do without bassists because I notice in some rock bands you can't even hear the bass at all, but in jazz, fusion, blues, rhythm and blues, etc, without the bass, nothing can happen. The young have gotta realize that...

ya... why is the mixing like so, where we cant here the bass at all sometimes? Like those metal bands.. i cant figure out the bass lines at all man!! Or is it too in sync with the music?

Thing about rock and metal is that there is a rhythm guitarist handling rhythm. I find that a bass is easily buried under a heavily distorted guitar.

Last edited:
Well, a bassist is still important in a rock band. Although you cant hear it distinctively, a band would sound extremely empty and thin without a bassist. Basically, since the guitar is already handling the rhythm part, the bass helps to add low end to the entire sound to make it sound "rounder" and "warmer" so that it won't sound too sharp or thin. And it sometimes does handle the part of providing a groove and rhythm, especially when the rhythm guitar is riffing. The bassist helps to keep track of the chord/root note and beat of the song, along with the drums.

Cheers,
WWH

i play brutal death metal and i play bass and i got no issue getting my bass to cut thru the mix ;p accept in live gig with crappy 100 watts bass amp pairing with 100 watts tube amp with no PA support. hahahahaha

lordie: Yup, PA systems with speakers are essential. Without the PA support, only the section of the audience directly facing the bass amplifier can hear it. Every time I perform, I'm thankful that I can leave the volume balancing to the soundman and just do my thing. :cool:

Not sure if the soundman has to turn the bass's volume up though, I'll have to ask the soundman next time. But I guess it helps to make your bass sound brighter, will cut through the mix a lot easier than a 'bassy' bass tone. On the occasion I play bass, I prefer singlecoil pickups.

if you have no passion for the bass what makes you think that you'll be passionate about the electric tambourine (yes, i know he's kidding..or is he? hmmm..) are you going to try every single instrument before you finally settle down and learn one?

and to the guy who said in a rock band, bass isn't important. go shoot yourself - seriously. i'm not a bassist but in rock the bass is most important. you don't always have to hear everything to appreciate it. it's not pushing the knob to 11 so that the crowd can hear what you're playing over everybody else on stage. that's not music.

evident: Sorry if you misunderstood my point. What I was meaning to say was that the way many rock bands balance the volume of the instruments, the bass might as well not be there. I've listened to a lot of rock songs and tried to hear the bass in all that fizz and did not suceed. I know the bass is important. But it is often 'missing'.

Last edited:
i thought u said u christian?

tsk tsk.

yes i am. and please, i wasn't being offensive. when i asked him to "go shoot himself" it may have come across as antagonizing, but if you're offended i apologize. i speak like that at times in real life, in at attempt at sarcasm (poorly - since it's online), it may have come across as a literal wish that he shoot himself. no it isn't. i was joking. i'm sorry Vaiyen or eugenesmasher if it was too harsh.

anyway my main point was that bassists are important, not that i was angry that he said that bassists were not important and i wished he shot himself. please read underlying intentions before judging.

but as i said, i apologize. i've also been accused for being too straightforward in previous posts, and i've apologized. it's not like i'm angry.

edit: oh and eugene, after reading that post again. i guess i DID misinterpret what you were saying. i blame speed reading. HAHA (notice the laughter here, dear Vaiyen. i'm joking. i'm not actually blaming anyone or anything i'm just saying it out of jest. it was a mistake.) oh and Eugene, i think you misunderstood me too. what i meant was that the bass is not usually HEARD so much as it is FELT. that's why even though you don't hear it, when it's gone you feel it. that's what i meant.

P.S. everything in the brackets is said sarcastically please don't misinterpret.

P.P.S. the sentence above isn't sarcasm, just a commentary

P.P.P.S the sentence above is sarcasm, i know you get it. just teasing..

:/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back