S'pore back in Malaysia Cup... your reflections, please.

subversion

singapore-team-for-malaysia-cup.jpg

Singapore's back in the M-Cup- was wondering if it'll bring back the fever pitch here... unlike the S-League, there's now a national pride to play for.

Yeap. I guess there will be some football fever in the first year. But if it is not promoted or done well the fever will die down very fast.

I hope it will bring back some good football of the past. But it's going to be difficult to bring back the same old passion of Malaysia Cup fever and the Kallang Roar.

Firstly, there is no more Kallang stadium. IMO, Jalan Besar stadium just doesn't have the atmosphere.

Secondly, there is a need to introduce and "educate" a whole new generation of young people who have never experience Malaysia Cup before. To them, it may just be another boring S-League kind of affair. Or they rather be at home in front of their gaming console.

Thirdly, unlike 15 years ago, one-third of the Singapore population is now foreigners! Thanks to you-know-who. These people are more interested in the China national team or cricket.

We can now wait and hope for the best.

i've got mixed feelings abt this.

on one hand i'm happy that singapore is back into the malaysia cup but it certainly took too long for it to happen. the flame might had died out for many. We have to wait till 2014 untill the new sports hub is ready and i guess meanwhile it will be at the jln besar stadium...

we might be back into the malaysia cup but i think it's more like S league joining into the malaysia cup. if thats the case, then i really don't see much success compared to the glory days. times have changed, the level of football is different now.

back then it was like a single singapore team takes on the entire country of malaysia and it was exhilarating to watch with the odds stacked against us.

of course there's the issue of live coverage matches. The media has changed a lot since then as well. would be great if they would telecast all of the lion's games like channel 5 / channel 12 did back then.

Lets just see what happens but my hearts has always been with our lions
:)

Last edited:
channel 12... those were the days.

the atmosphere at Jln Besar stadium would certainly be different. i recall when the Lions play at National Stadium, the atmosphere was amazing. can still remember Tong Hai scoring own goals... he he...

Certainly is great to see our boys back in the M league. However, it's been 2 games and we've only just picked up a point. In comparison to the Malaysia Cup days of yesteryear, looks like the entire landscape has changed with new "powerhouse" teams like Kelantan etc coming into the fray. Still too early to see if the Malaysia Cup fever will return but it's good to have some football for when the BPL ends its season come May.

Thirdly, unlike 15 years ago, one-third of the Singapore population is now foreigners! Thanks to you-know-who. These people are more interested in the China national team or cricket.

We can now wait and hope for the best.

Are you bitter for losing your job to a foreigner who is more talented than you?

Back