Slapping on the bass

angeldogleslie

hey anybody can help me with some probs slappin ? all i hear is the clankin sound of the string and the frets and not the Sound of the fret leh ? Somebody help me

hmm. firstly, only use the wrist motion for the slap and not the arm. that's the basic element of slapping.

the next thing u should know is where to slap. slap on the area between the end of the neck and the pickup. u must have been slapping on the frets that's y no notes seem to come out. :)

another tip: keep your slapping clean. make sure u fully complete the note. otherwise it's juz gonna be noise.

COuld be pickups or spacing in between the neck to the pickup. For example, my bass really has no slapping space, and the pickups don't accent my slapping, so it's not a happy slappy bass...

haha.. i slap on the last fret of my bass. Sound gd. if can demo will be better lah...But all I wanna say is there are few ways and nothing is right or wrong..Just depend on wat sound u wan. Some slap, some thump, some snap. Just have to experiment and try. Go online and check out any video. Sure can find.
regards,

Ben

I slap near between the last two frets of my bass, and sounds good too. Could be you strings tho, my slapping sound improved after i changed my strings to stainless steels, YMMV.

there's no right or wrong way to slap but remember to always focus on the tone, ignore the speed and flash of slapping at 16 notes at 140 bpm at the moment but kick back and play some chilled groovy slap grooves.

focus on your tone at all times. if u find that its too muddy it means ur technique or tone settings are wrong. try to scoop your mids when u slap to get a nice deep bass and a ringing high ala marcus miller. if ur tone is set but it sounds muddy try to slap with the bone between the fleshy part of ur thumb and the lower thumb bone i.e the part where the joint is.

and take a look at your bass, if your action is too high, u can forget about getting a good slap tone. bring it for a setup and adjust it so the action is low and tension for the strings is tight this will help your thumb "bounce" on the string. thats my 2 cents worth. :D

Slapping the right sound is really all about practice. Like Larry Graham says all u need is a thumb.To slap u hit ur thumb hard on which ever position you feel most comfortable and hit it hard so that u get a percussive sound on top of the note you are pressing. And make sure it's clean that is no unintentional harmonics hum. Just keep thumbing till u get a nice clean percussive sound on your bass.

3notesAbar said:
Aiyah just slap until it sounds good to you la.

+1

OR you can basically slap until your thumb swells up to the size of a melon. It's happened before and believe me, it ain't anything to laugh about :lol:

depends, i use my index mainly but more complex rudimental patterns would render my middle finger in as much use as my index ..

from what i know billy sheehan pops with his ring finger because he bass got not much slap space all the pickups are too close so he adapted :D

i see,was just curious to find out which was the right way
coz i find popping with my middle was more comfortable then my index
i always thought that index was the right one
but turns out that there's no right way

but i heard for starters, it's easier to get a nice slap sound when you try whacking at the start of the neck.

in slapping, do you slap the string til it hits the frets? or do you just slap it lightly?

i noticed that slapping it lightly will produce the nice thumping sound heard in most slap & pop grooves..but however lightly i slap it'll still hit the frets...is that normal?

Last edited:
Back