Singapore's Education System = FAIL.. or not?

bobby

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) - A Singaporean child prodigy who passed 10th grade chemistry at age 7 has moved to Malaysia for higher education because his homeland is too rigid to accomodate gifted children, his father says.

Ainan Celeste Cawley, 10, gained attention when he passed the O Level - or American 10th grade - chemistry examination in Singapore at 7. Two years later, he passed the O Level physics exam and the AS Level, or 11th grade, chemistry exam.

However, his Irish father Valentine Cawley told reporters Monday that the Singapore government was inflexible and failed to support his son's needs to ensure his intellectual growth.

Ainan attended primary school for three years and was "bored silly," Cawley said.

In an e-mailed response to The Associated Press Wednesday, Singapore's Education Ministry said it had sought to work with Ainan's parents to develop him "holistically to become a successful adult."

It said the ministry designed an individualized education plan to help Ainan excel. Cawley said the plan was useless because it did not allow his son to study subjects from higher grades.

"What they did instead was to ensure that he was bored to death with the normal curriculum. The standard school numbed his mind and put his brain to sleep on a daily basis," he said.

The ministry did not address Cawley's specific complaints that his request to have his son home-schooled was rejected and that it refused to give Ainan access to a chemistry laboratory.

"They didn't want to make exception for one child," Cawley said. "We wrestled with the system for three years and found it too inflexible and unwilling to accommodate Ainan's needs. It's punishing him really and we gave up in the end."

With the help of the National Association for Gifted Children of Malaysia, Cawley and his Singaporean wife enrolled Ainan at the private-run HELP University College in Kuala Lumpur this week.

Cawley said his son will be joining 18-year-olds in studying in a degree program with computer science and chemistry options, as well as adding A-level physics and math to his tally.

"We chose HELP as they understood Ainan's unusual needs and were willing to do their best to help," he said.

HELP officials said they would offer Ainan a full scholarship. Cawley will also work as a psychology researcher at the college.

Cawley keeps a blog on Ainan's progress titled "The boy who knew too much."

He says Ainan spoke his first words after a couple of weeks of life, began crawling at 4 months, walking at 6 months and running at 8 months.

According to HELP officials and Cawley, Ainan can recite pi - the number starting 3.14 that gives the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter - to 518 decimal places. He also knows the periodic table by heart.

But a shy Ainan didn't demonstrate his abilities or talk to reporters at the news conference. Instead, he spent the time laughing and playing with the microphone.

___

Associated Press writer Alex Kennedy in Singapore contributed to this report.

___

On the Net:

Cawley's blog: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

think of Singapore's system in general, it's abit like a fixed manufacturing factory with different departments, from education to military to working adult slaving to pay off all sorts of taxes and fees and loans.

I've never known any prodigies in my life, don't know how they think, don't know how they look like either (no photos). I only know 2 geniuses albert einstein and thomas edison.

so prodigies don't belong in singapore, pls go somewhere further to blend in.cos I doubt the entire singapore system is going to change for 2 born irish prodigies who has the luxury of advancement in life without putting the usual effort of the average humanbeing doing what singaporeans do best : complain/blog/stomp.

There's only "templated" citizens here who contribute to society..

How I wish I am that clever. I can then go study anywhere and be sponsored for everything I do.

Do we have any SOFTies who are very good in studies? Like 10 As for O levels? Or top for PSLE? Or got some scholarship from university here?

well, there is no perfect system that can canter to everyone's learning curve.

of course, there's room for improvement and with the recent news that they're changing how mother tongue is taught is a good sign that they're trying to improve the education system

Oh my... this is what people mean by our talents bleeding away...

Whats the point of trying so hard to attract foreign talents when the ones here are running away..

Last edited:
Local Talent? But...but...that's totally not in line with PAP's Foreign Talent policy. Must follow law...and policy. LKY said so.

"started running at 8 months"????

so he's not just an intellectual prodigy...he's a physical prodigy as well!!!

IS HE THE SECOND COMING???

Think it boils down to personal preferance especially when one has choices & most importantly, can afford the choices. Irregardless of one's ability, capability in this case, in the field academics.

Dad should've just said " My kid's pursuing his studies somewhere else because we can afford to. "

I used to play with this kid when he was about 3-4 yrs old and i was 9-10 yrs old back then. He was my neighbour at my grandmothers house. They are really nice people. He did not struck me as a super inteligent kid. We played hot-wheels together lol.

Any, the Singapore education system is stupid shit. There is not enough avenue to develop our potential. So in the future, Singapore going to have a really limited work force, cos everyone is either, a business grad, engineering grad, design grad etc... I wish to go to pilot school and be a commercial pilot someday, but that seems pretty out of hand considering that Singapore does not support its citizens being pilots. SYFC is a piece of bullshit. Awaiting results now, and it is either Poly or JC. 95% of all O level pupils will be like this. The other 5% will leave this country for a better education system. It is bloody obvious that Sg Govt wants us to be some zombies that only go to the schools that are businness, engineering etc(those usual courses). They are heavily subsidised for us. I come from an average income family living in a 4 room flat, and it seems impossible for me to go to other schools rather than JC or poly from the cost of it. I just want to get out of this bloody education system and do what i want to do, fly. Malaysia or Indonesia is the closest, but due to our high GDP/capita but our bloody high cost of living, it seems almost impossible to do so. I bet most of you wanted to do something else rather than getting caged in poly/jc/local U. This is a free country, bullshit. The govt decides what we become, to benefit the economy of Singapore. Govt talks about diversifying the economy but the bloody scholar/elites what, ever you call them, of this Govt thinks that it is about technology, business blah blah blah. I pity ourselves, getting caged up in this education system.

i personally reckon tat his father is way way cocky.. gosh, Msia to further studies.. at least UK or US la- if he is tat smart a prodigy which i think he is, too bad his father's ego's gonna ruin his son's brain because as far as i noe, Sg's education system may be rigid, full of flaws and everything, but it gets us to where we are, good economy, safe country and an overall high average in the sciences, definitely not the arts though. tat's why scholars elsewhere are flooding in while two stupid people go to MSIA for study -.-. arrogance shall be their downfall.

=portunderground

Totally agree with you and this is why all our 'local talents' get the *** out of this country. Cheers to freedom :)

portunderground , are you still schooling? Have you inquire about enrollment in flight school aboard? With your passion, I am sure you will become a great pilot.

* Singapore got any place to train space shuttle pilot? I am planning for my second career.

Latest posts

Back