Singapore Idol

Cherry Chocolate Candy has an album but i guess no one bought it. My classmate did a music video on them and I admit they still look hot but still relatively forgotten.

looks hot but forgotten..wanna know why? i dun really think they can sing though...but sure hell can dance..but still, theyve got all the right package, so why arent they making it BIg...Britney Spears cant sing but shes sure hot! wahaha....oh well...like many of us, lets sit back and see wat happens..im sure many will come down for the auditions for that 10 seconds of fame

Singapore Idols mainly for advertising dollars. I doubt you'll get good talent on it because:

1. The talents wil be fairly young ones, 18 to mid-20s. Very inexperienced, raw and naive. The quality I feel will not be there as most of our young talents have very limited exposure to a wide range of songs of different genre. Do they listen to anything outside metal, alternative, Euro-trash, J-pop, K-pop and M-pop? Already with Talentine, where there is a larger pool of talent, the songs are often ballardy in nature. And the band accompaniment and music arrangement is usually disappointing to say the least.

2. There is no booming local music industry here. So it may be a contract with Mediacorp more than anything. At most, the winner may get shipped to overseas (USA) to do a recording and try out the US market.

3. There is no prize money. So the incentive may not be that strong. Of course, if you love it for the limelight, then you can't go wrong. But be prepared to be criticized and embarrassed infront of thousands of viewers. Don't knowwhether our young people are as thick skin as William's.

4. The really good ones don't need SI to be discovered as their demos to record companies would be the best and easiest route. And less of a hassle.

8)

Well, I don't quite agree that there is no talent in Singapore. But I strongly agree that the market is too small. With small market, it is hard to cultivate or support talent.

Actually 4 million population can be quite a good market. But the problem is 1 million don't call it home (PRs and Permit holder) Most of them hv their country or language idol.

So we left with 3 million. Out of the 3 million, my wild guess is 50% don't really converse in english, so natural they are not interested in english songs. so we left with 1.5 million. Out of the 1.5 million how many are regular music listener. How many are willing to pay for a CDs. How many will rally behind their idol. I guess the number can be quite discouraging.

This is a Singapore problem. We are just too .... Rojak. We have just too many language and culture here. Whether you want to publish a book, or produce a movie or cut an album the market is just too diverse and hence become very small. Unlike HK where everyone is speaking Cantonese. That is why they can have a good market for canto pop. For that matter Taiwan can produce Hokkien POP.

For a talent to be successful, one must target at oversea market instead of Singapore market. Much like Stefanie Sun's success story.

ALL FOR MAKING ADVT. MONEY...REALLY THE IDOL THEME IS A SHIT...WATCH OUT FOR THE AUDITION...You can see people imitating all the stupid characters you've seen on American IDOL...(Hungomaniacs...will be more in Singapore Idol) trying to imitate him and play fun..

I heard that Hung demanding USD8000 for a show off in Singapore Idol ????
Is it true?

I think there's one important question we haven't figured out...who's going to be the host?? Are they going to try and find a Ryan Seacrest Look-and-act-alike??

Muackz to all...

Tammi

The newspapers reported that Hung's management asked for US$5,000. But Hung has not confirmed whether he's coming or not.

As for the host of SI, there should be plenty to choose from. Anyone of the Class 95 Djs, Bernard Lim, Gurmit, etc. The host is not that critical to the contest as he or she only faciliates the show.

8)

Be it a way to earn money or be it a way to advertise. William hung at least got his way there! There are actually two extreme cases whereby your music will be heard. Both of the extreme will give the same phrase of words. "Hey everyone, listen to this music! 8O ". Try it and see if it is true.

http://www.pointrecords.com

Now its a matter of how they want to run the show. To make money out of the show or to make money out of the singapore idol.

That guy is a hypocraite. He looked so :angel" on TV. But behind our backs, he's asked way too much for an amateur level performance here. The media potrays hima s a soft spoken nice guy but he's actually a money grabber who demands way over too much money for a simple performance. Doesn't help the fact he doesn't sing well. He's not even a pro singer, he's more of a celebrity gag.

Though I admire his spirit. But I can't help feeling that he is the ultimate insult to the music scene. There are peoples out there who hv so much talent and some even looks good that can't make a living in this industry :( . Yet Mr zero talent and zero look get to cut an album......Worst still, people are buying it. 8O

What hv this world becomes. :lol:

Talents aside, he is really good entertainment!

Well, our senses need to be fed and he is somehow good for our diet.

Yep. Hung is entertainment. Love 'im or loathe 'im

Actually, he wasn't the one who started all this Hung thing. Just a couple of supporters who were impressed by his spirit...and the wave caught on, as usual, with the net. So music executives are milking him for what it's worth.

And as any good Asian businessman will tell you, 'strike while the iron is hot!'

Anyway, Hung is a fresh change simply because he is so bad (he can't act, he can't sing, he can't dance) that he's good entertainment (for some people at least).

8)

I don't think it's true that Singapore has no talents, i have heard quite a number around that are pretty much unrecognised. However, i would say that these talents really need to polish up, either their singing or their presentation. Everyone is just rushing for time here, few are actually considering to really train up or practice due to the small music market. A pretty low incentive to do much. The talents from American Idol didn't appear out of nowhere, they had a good raw voice and they built it up with practice etc over the years.
It's a good move to form a Singapore Idol, and due to it's publicity it would probably attract people in, but i believe the turnout would be way different. Just hope it doesn't turn into another Asia Bagus, that ain't too many people dancing on the floor when the idols sing, many would just sit down and look....urggggg

They probably paid money to those goons to look stupid on TV just as a promotion. Why gurmit as the host? Shouldn't they get someone more plesant looking like the host of Incredible Tales. Aye what's his name? He looks good at least.

Colarndo said:
Why gurmit as the host? Shouldn't they get someone more plesant looking like the host of Incredible Tales. Aye what's his name? He looks good at least.

i totally agree with you - GURMIT IS OLD !!! :D

it's all bullshit mediacorp politics

Is it that show with the ghost stories thingy?? If so...the name of the host is Utt...his name is much longer actually...but I can't remember the rest of his name...born Thai...Lived in America...any more personal bio...just search mtvasia...they can tell you...

Muackz to all...

Tammi

Back