SIM Musicians

marc_jin

Greetings to all Softies!

Been at this forum for awhile and I was just wondering. Are there any fellow Softies from SIM? Just thought it'll be cool to know that SIM has talent too ya!

Not sure if this has been brought up before, if so Mods pls pardon my repost of this topic. Hehe.

i dont think this has been brought up before

relatively common to see dudes carrying acoustic guitars around. probably the guitar club. but once in awhile i see some dudes carrying ELECTRIC guitars around.

actually i think its the same guy i keep seeing over and over again

Yah I've seen them too. Saw chicks carrying guitars too. Haven't seen anyone carrying electric ones, unless there's some gig going on in school like some international student week of sorts.

Maybe the dude that you saw was some advanced level member in the guitar club.

i am from sim too

hi, i am from sim too, dint get a chance to join the guitar club due to time schedule, i am from the rmit cse in sim, anyway great to know musicians ard in sim maybe can meet up to jam in school or something, any drummers from sim want to jam can let me know aso, been looking for a drummer to jam with my frens :p

Cool I'm from RMIT BBM. Yah I agree, we should have a softies gathering or something in school and like get to know each other and perhaps jam or something. =)

I wish SIM has a higher music culture like those of NTU and NUS, like how TP has a music VOX cca. It'll be cool if we had that as well.

Im from SIM.. i brought my bass to school a couple of time due to jamming after school.. but didnt see anyone else..

Yah I've seen them too. Saw chicks carrying guitars too. Haven't seen anyone carrying electric ones, unless there's some gig going on in school like some international student week of sorts.

Maybe the dude that you saw was some advanced level member in the guitar club.
cannot be advanced member of guitar club, he looks too cool already

eh no offence to guitar club ya :mrgreen:

if there are so many muso's in SIM then why don't we have any um... LOCAL bands playing for our events (that happen from time to time)

Bro, Marc, like I said before, it'll be pretty difficult to start up something in school... Firstly, despite having many musicians, students in SIM don't spend alot of time in school (or at least that's my opinion). Also, I sincerely doubt that anyone would want to. My perception of SIM students are like NSFs.. They just want to come, get cert, then move on... I think SIM students are busy with many out-of-school activities, i.e. Their own bands, businesses, part-time / full-time work, etc.

I was president of music vox in TP from 2005-2007, and CCA culture here is a vast contrast compared to that in TP or any other poly. Another problem is the lack of emphasis on the school's part pertaining to CCAs in SIM. I don't think sufficient funding and / or budget has been set aside for events / facilities.

These are my thoughts. Nothing negative, because afterall, SIM IS a "university of foreign universities", unlike NUS / NTU / SMU which is purely local. The best we can do at the moment is jam together once in awhile (which some of us have been already doing -marc / pedal-itis, myself, etc)

Unless of cos, a student who is willing, approaches the school and tries to start a new CCA in SIM. That may change the culture here. I've thought about it, but I don't have the time. Besides, thinking about facilities is a headache. We can't borrow Ngee Ann Poly's equipment / rooms either- Already checked.

Cheers!

I agree with you bro....sigh miss those days when you were music vox president...esp now when some fat lady has seized total power :(

yeah. i was in SIM '06-07 most of the time in school i was just burnt out/stoned trying to get through school.. i didn't even realise there were dudes carrying guitars !!! well... i got the paper and moved on... i don't even use it to get another job!! what a waste of $$ ... i shld have just kept doing the music thing... would have had moolah for more music junk ....

I agree with you bro....sigh miss those days when you were music vox president...esp now when some fat lady has seized total power :(

Careful she doesn't see this thread bro, or like you told me, she may again threaten to eat all your food..

hey all...i'm a graduate from SIM UOL Business.

I dont mind joining jamming sessions - fourtones/backbeat (hongkong street). i can do keyboard/guitar and bass chords, basic frets and pick/drums.

haven't gone jamming for some time...give me a beep. 97101334/Agnes.[

QUOTE=shinobi;819199]cannot be advanced member of guitar club, he looks too cool already

eh no offence to guitar club ya :mrgreen:

if there are so many muso's in SIM then why don't we have any um... LOCAL bands playing for our events (that happen from time to time)[/QUOTE]

if there are so many muso's in SIM then why don't we have any um... LOCAL bands playing for our events (that happen from time to time)
I think cos nobody knows how to contact these local bands, and bands who are open to playing for school events don't have enough information of such events. In other words, there is no one-stop coordinator to match bands and events (like a lecturer or student in-charge of providing bands for events, so that event organisers and bands can approach him / her)

haha... UOW Bachelor IT here... the irony is, when i was doing final year, got a job to play RMIT grad night.... haa..

Back