Seymour DUncan Screamin' Demon

subversion

b_7147335075575_1.jpg

Seymour Duncan SH12/ TB12: Screamin’ Demon
List: $99

The Screamin’ Demon joins Ibanez’s Tubescreamer in the line of products with a rather deceitful name tag. I’m sorry to invalidate all hopes of this pickup being a super high output & menacing…

The SH12 was initially a Custom Shop exclusive for guitarist George Lynch who wanted a pickup of similar warmth & subtlety of an SH1 (’59) but with a touch more output for responsive harmonics & added lower midrange for a deserving growl. In use, the SH12 is a great accessory for high gain/ drive settings. As promised, the harmonics response was more pronounced & unlike the vintage voicing of the ’59, one can hear an added lower midrange response. Unlike Duncan’s midrange menace, the SH4 (JB), the Demon’s midrange sounds coarse, very suitable for players who intend to make their low end thumping audible & not mush-out with increased volume.

Another killjoy- if you really think that the ’59 individuality is in tact here; not really. This is particularly evident when the humbucker is played clean. As the pickup holds an increased lower midrange serving, one will hear a lack of acoustic crisp from it. This pickup is also intended as a bridge unit primarily (no neck counterpart offered by the manufacturer to date). We read in countless forums/ discussion boards of how successful the Demon can be in the neck. It does well there, I must say, but it lacks the transparency of a typical neck unit.

Last say
The ‘Demon’ name is a very misleading tag indeed. Players who invested in this pickup often expressed regret upon discovering a less demonic nature, inherently. However, if you intend to own a humbucker with a healthy dose of lower midrange, a slightly raunchy lower midrange & above-average harmonics response, the Demon is an apt pickup to consider. Do keep in mind that the SH12 isn’t high output at all.

Bro sub wat do u think is da best pups 4 an epi lp Mic..... Do u tink i was tinkin of havin pearly gates 4 bridge n alnico pro II 4 neck... But like u said its beta 2 have amp change.. So i need more advice thx... i dunno wat amp 2 get....

the screamin' demon here isn't a favourable pickup to be installed in a set neck guitar, so i've found out...

there's no best pickup for an LP type guitar, really. Billy Gibbons got great result having a pearl gates in his but it doesn't mean it'll work for you. in any case, the PG has good treble injection for those of us in search a little more bite at the top end while preserving the vintage voicing.

as for you amp consideration, if you are pedal reliant, get a decent sounding amp with 12" speaker(s) on board, there are good selections from Peavey/ Smarvo/ Ibanez/ Crate...

w4t

seriously, the pearly gates is a good pick up.
i use it on my fender. and use it for most of my recording sessions.
how do i explain, Bright at the same time more weight.

if your fender comes with the Pearly Gates by default, it a tweaked version, Pearly Gates Plus. it's duncan's collaboration with Fender but that pickup is a deserving unit in a Fender guitar.

lj

i guess u r rite
so, is the demon still a gd pick up?
nvr use it b4, but will it fit for an Ibanez as a bridge p/u?
george lynch uses it.

as you can see here, the Screamin' Demon is a resident in my Ibanez RG1550 (bridge):

rg1550duncans.jpg

i definitely didn't buy the pickup because George Lynch played it. i'm very happy with what it gives me- more lower midrange girth without adding to bass. the top end is also sharper than a traditional '59...

well..i guess maebe..there's no section under pickups??

i tinks its the closest to guitar pickups..

Bro sub but tinkin of it.. I dun play dat loud and pluz i only use it 4 home-use... So if i need a 12'' speaker amp meaning i need a higher watt amp.. and i dun tink i wud blast it dat loud at home....

ZiiopBoii said:
Bro sub but tinkin of it.. I dun play dat loud and pluz i only use it 4 home-use... So if i need a 12'' speaker amp meaning i need a higher watt amp.. and i dun tink i wud blast it dat loud at home....

I believe you are somewhat mistaken.

why can't a 12 inch speaker amp be used @ home?

You should search the gear section, and bring your query there.

Back