Setting up new JAM studio

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys

I have been asked to help set up a jam studio in a community centre. Hope to get some opinions here with the equipment that you would like to see in the studio. Will be looking for good quality stuff that require lesser maintenance (break-downs). Budget is above average but no need super expensive. ;)

I have draft up a list, do give your views on this.

Thanks for your help!

Sound System
MACKIE Thump 15A (Powered speaker)
MACKIE ProFX16 (Mixer)
K&M 37175 tripod w/gig bag (1 pair Speaker Stand)
PRODIPE TT1 Pro-Lanen (Vocal Microphone)
K&M 21077 (Microphone stand)

Electric Guitar
Yamaha Pacifica 012 (Guitar)
Fender Frontman 212R (Black)
Peavey Bandit 112 1x12" 80 Watt Combo

Electric Bass
HARTKE HyDrive 5210C
Fender Rumble 350 2x10" 350 Watt Bass Combo
Ampeg BA-115HP 1x15" 220 Watt Bass Combo

Keyboard
Yamaha MX61(Synthesizer)
KORG X50 (Synthesizer)
HERCULES KS240B 2-TIER (Keyboard Stand)

Drums
YAMAHA Stage Custom (22" kick, 10" & 12" mounted toms, 16" floor tom and 14" snare)
ZILDJIAN ZBT 4 SET (CYMBALS)
Mapex T570A Drum Stool
DMA6450 Drum Mat 4x6

Last edited:
Some suggestions:

Guitar-wise, those Swing guitars are value for money. Do consider a HSS model so players would get both single coil & humbucker tones to work with. Ditto basses- a Swing Jazz-type bass would be cool.

Ampwise, if there's gonna be a drum set & stringed instruments in the same room, please have at least a 60W amp in there. If a 100W unit could be acquired- why not? Need not be tubes though- it's high maintenance. Also, need not be a stack format, a decent combo of the specified wattage would suffice.

For drums- consider having carpet for that :)

Not really experience.. But all this is what i wish to see in a studio.

Rally lp guitar. They are really awesome !
A combo marshall amp is good enough.
A cajon !
Maybe maestro acoustic guitar ? (i'm not really sure which brand is worth the money, but a acoustic guitar is really a wish)

And maybe rental of efx ? So players dont have to carry their pedals all the way to the studio ?

I have update the first post with a list of equipment. Are these ok?

haha i hate 115cab but thats just me, i think for bass if we are looking at below 600 bucks, yamaha bb series, bacchus bass(tymc), squier classic vibe those basses are great

If it is commercially viable, I would love to run it. But I am still unable to figure how to make it viable.

For now, I am just helping them to do up the equipment list. Hopefully, we can use the venue to organise some SOFT events in the future.

Do remember to set aside some money on acoustic treatment. This is often times one of the most important yet overlooked aspects of a studio. In fact, I'd even say you should spend most of the money in this area. No point getting good equipment, but put them in a bad sounding room. :)

Good luck, James!

Thanks for the input on acoustic treatment. I am just wondering what observations you have when a studio have bad acoustics?

How do we define when a jam studio have bad acoustics? What's the cause and solution?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on acoustic treatment. I am just wondering what observations you have when a studio have bad acoustics?

How do we define when a jam studio have bad acoustics? What's the cause and solution?

The worst problem is probably resonance at certain modal frequencies. Untreated rooms typically resonate wildly at many frequencies, especially the bass frequencies. You know your room has acoustic issues if you experience any of the following:
1) always feel that you cannot hear yourself or another member of the band
2) hear a ringing/booming sound lingering in the room after you stop playing
3) notice that some notes on your instrument sound much louder/boomy than others
4) keep having feedback problems

Most acoustic problems are caused by sound waves bouncing off the walls in the room. The solution is always treatment in the form of absorption and diffusion.

Of course, saying you spent $3,000 on acoustic treatment is not as sexy as saying that you have a $3,000 guitar rig or a $8,000 drum setup... but it prevents loudness wars (and deafness) inside the studio, as well as helps everyone hear better and hopefully make better music. :)

Do check out Laney amps as well as the Yamaha PA system as well. Quite good value for money.

Completely agree with setting money aside for acoustic treatment. It really does change the sound quite a lot. I'm not that familiar with acoustic treatment, but I do know that if the floor of the room is carpeted and if there are heavy curtains that help to absorb the sound, it'll help with the balance of the room a lot more. (with reference to absorption and diffusion that godchuanz has mentioned)

Maybe bro godchuanz can chip in on this

if the floor of the room is carpeted and if there are heavy curtains that help to absorb the sound, it'll help with the balance of the room a lot more.

Yup, carpets and heavy curtains would help some, but probably not gonna be cost-effective. It's also not effective at bass frequencies, where a lot of acoustic problems are.

The cheapest method is really to buy a bulk of rigid fiberglass, cheap cloth and wood, then DIY some absorption panels and bass traps on your own. To do up an entire room, you'd probably spend less than $1,000 in materials. And in the end, you get a good sounding room.

Diffusers are a lot harder to DIY, and they are costlier, so... perhaps only consider them if money is no object. They can make a good room sound fantastic, but are probably not necessary for most jam rooms.

Back