Running music apps in xp mode within Win 7 pro and above

As the title..

Tried searching around(ok, not really too in depth searching btw), but didnt managed to find much info on this. Anyway, cut the story short, just wanna find out if anyone doing it?

Was trying to link up my hardware to my new laptop running win 7 pro x64. Turns out that for some apps(some old edirol softsynth and monome emulation with OSC wrapper thingy), it was laggy/unsable at all.

So i decided to try the xp mode within win 7, installed couple of programs and running it within the virtual xp space. Oh well, it seem to work fine for the old edirol plugin which was not able to run in win 7. I still need to try out with the monome emulator/apps and see if its working fine(somewhat laggy when running monome apps via max4live in ableton, within win 7)

For the laptop setup, iam doing dual booting already and the virtual xp mode is within the drive meant for music making. Just wondering if anyone done something similar with the xp mode for music apps?

I think you better use original XP since you have two partition. It will take time for app to update to win7 64bit mode.

thats one way. I was comtemplating doing the win xp x64 route with dual booting before, but didnt went that way coz not able to find xp x64 drivers for my laptop with i7 cpu.

the xp mode is a a free download from microsoft site for me since since the laptop comes with win 7 pro, so thought i try it out.

So far when i run 32 bit daw in the 64 bit os, most stuff that i need are pretty much smooth sailing other than running the edirol plugin and running some monome apps via emulator patch.

For the xp mode, programs which are installed inside, can run directly from win 7 desktop with the xp mode hidden(instead of opening up xp mode and running the apps installed in it). Thought thats quite nice, only thing is not too sure how taxing it can be, to the cpu when using lotsa plugins and stuff.

I have tried using windows XP mode for music. It works fine except when trying to record audio from an interface via the USB bridging. There are alot of dropouts due to the inefficiencies of the emulation layer.

I see you are mostly using synths, so take note that in the event you need to record from a microphone or line in instruments you might run into issues.

ah ok, thats something which i didnt think of(recording into it), thanks for info.

Yup, for my needs, it will be mainly midi programming, so prolly wont be needing too much recording via mic or plugged in instrument.

Hmm, now i am wondering whether will there any difference if using expresscard interface like echo audio IOx if needing to record instrument or it will still be the same, since its also another interface that need to be bridged across the os layer in order to record in.

Back