Getting Pro Tools 9 to work with Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer

sibelius2

Hi there,

I've got a Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer and I would like to connect it to Pro Tools so that it can function as a multi-track recorder of live music. This copy of Pro Tools is version 9, and it's been installed on a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop running Windows 7, 64-bit.

During setup of Pro Tools for the first time, we were told that an audio interface was needed. So we connected an Mbox 2 to the laptop using a USB cable. When Pro Tools had been successfully set up, we connected the laptop to the Yamaha using a USB cable. We downloaded and installed the driver and after several repeated reboots of the laptop and mixer, to cut the story short, the Yamaha was recognised by the laptop.

However, despite following instructions to work the settings under 'peripherals' I've still been unsuccessful getting the Yamaha to work with Pro Tools: this message appears repeatedly: 'Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.'

During one the tryouts, we thought that if the Mbox2 wasn't connected, the laptop wouldn't become 'confused' and would automatically 'choose' the Yamaha as its operating interface. We were wrong. Pro Tools asked us to connect the Mbox. A check on the devices showed tha the Mbox was the only device detected.

Would be grateful if I could find out how we can get the Yamaha to communicate and work with Pro Tools, thanks!

Hi. The USB connection from the o1v only allows you to control the transport and console parameters. No audio can be routed through the USB connection, and it can't be used as an interface via USB.

If you want to use the o1v as an interface and use it to route audio I/O, you'll need an additional I/O card from Yamaha. Something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MY16mLAN would be what you are looking for. It'll turn your o1v into a Firewire interface. Another alternative would be to use AES/EBU or ADAT I/O cards and use corresponding interfaces to route audio to your computer.

Hope this helps.

The MBox which you have serves as your Audio Interface. This device converts your analog signals to digital signals thus recording it onto your hard disk.

Your Yamaha mixer basically serves as a controller for your mixes in Tools. What geraldkoh said is right, you have to get a I/O card for the mixer to allow for A/D and D/A conversion. Sadly, Yamaha stopped production of that card so you either have to get a second-hand one (via eBay) or look into other I/O options e.g. MADI/ADAT and I don't think your laptop supports those formats. You would need a desktop with an additional PCIe card to bring in those signals onto your hard disk.

I know this sounds like a whole lot of technical jargon, because it is. So if you really need stuff to get answered, feel free to drop me a mail at exinated (at) gmail.com. =)

Back