[Review] Machfive 3.

kongwee

I have just received my copy of Motu Machfive 3. I will just write a few comment.

Support for exs24 without conversion, this is what I bought for. No problem to load, but sometime the sample sampler cannot determine the sample file from the map file.It can support a lot sample map like EW play and hailon, but I can't get it to work. SFZ and SF2 not much problem. No need to conversion to load non-native library.

A big plus about Machfive 3 it came with higher quality e.guitar, a.piano, drumkit, d.bass,cello....etc.E.guitar has a strum engine in it, cool.All these high quailty sample come from AcousticSample. These are gigabtye librarys. So you need a lot of ram. The biggest eater is e.guitar that can whop one giga ram. There is no way to unload unused sample like Play or kontakt. These AcousticSample library seem to be jazz oriented. IMO, they are much better that came with EXS24 or Kontakt.

The sound library are not massive like Logic Pro EXS24 or Kontakt. It used can do quite a number of genre. It came with Ircam that you can do a bit of sound design. The preset for Ircam are nice too, not need to much process.

Overall for the price, it is not very affordable. I get the crossgrade version. Still it is US$299. You could buy Sound Alchemy or other popular rompler around. Plus you need iLok for license.

Thanks Kongwee for the review. I like Machfive's programming environment. It appears much easier to create layers/zones with user-defined key-switching etc compared to other softsamplers. In other words, for the live performer who relies heavily on samples and need them programmed in a certain way, Machfive appear to be one of the best out there.

However, when a sampler says that they can load and play ANY sample format, I get concerned. As you already mentioned, mapping of various samples are not working well. Have you tried loading nki files? Do they load properly and are the mappings correct? That's my main concern - which is the reason why I've not bought the Machfive (but have been wondering if I should). I don't need more samples - my library is sufficient for my needs. However, I'm still looking for the perfect VST host for samples that enable me to program and manipulate samples at a deeper level and quickly. Tried Plogue Bidule, contemplated on VSL Ensemble Pro, looked into Reason, Ableton etc, tried getting it done within DAW (which is my method now, and of course not very programmable) etc. Even wanted to give up and just get Omnisphere and use their own sounds (because I like the way they can be programmed) - but it doesn't solve my problems of loading my huge library of nki files. Kontakt's programming is not flexible enough. So I'm at a lost. I thought Machfive may solve the problem. But then, maybe not.

Last edited:
Some nki files, I am able to load. Those support 4.0 and older ones have the higher chance to load. I try abit more then give you better details. For exs24, sometime it can't seem know where to find the sample files. But those Jampack or Logic installed samples are working well. For programming the sample, I have not studied that as I don't have much to programmed. GUI is bigger than Kontakt so it make programming easier I think. But getting through the layers or groups, may not be easy. I have not get it done yet before I read the manual. For the synthesis wise, I have not touch yet, but I think it quite easy understand. There are animation on some of the knot, lines ....etc. This is helpful for your modulation matrix or routing. Currently, I just playing with bundled samples.

Last edited:
I run quite a number of nki files. Those with GUI will not load. Actually it is quite unless to use for nki.

Back