Refinishing

Jumpin'Jellybean

Hi guys, i am refinishing my guitar, looking to achieve a Firemist gold kind of finish.
I bought Solid Gold paint, Nippon one. Initially, the colour was what i wanted it to be. However, after applying clear coat, it turned out more of a Shoreline Gold kind of finish. (I tried it on a block of wood, not on the guitar yet, heng ah.)
Should i be using a Gold Metallic type of paint instead and clear coating? Or forget about the clear coat? (Which i would rather not) Or are there any other methods to use? Thanks!

Pics:
The Firemist Gold that i wanna achieve: (It's the post by TheLowEndTheory, the second set of photos)
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/champagne-gold-shoreline-gold-517063/index2.html
The Shoreline Gold that i currently have:
http://www.stratoblogster.com/2009/01/strat-auction-57-shoreline-gold-reissue.html

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Did you use the same brand for clear coat? Although I am not entirely sure of the cause, but sometimes, the paint, especially the clear coats, has this chemical that is put into it to kind of melt the paint underneath (I forgot what it is called) to make it bond or something. This had happened to me and usually affects more to the metallic type finish. As you know, you need to spray the paint evenly, but if you sprayed it too heavy, the "glittery" thing will get uneven right? I think this might have happened here, the clear coat might have melted on the gold finish and cause the glitter to submerge and the "colour" to stand out. Mine goes from metallic purple to blue, and I decided to sand the clear coat and leave it without the clear.

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A PRO, so don't strip it yet =X

The clear coat kinda changes the colour. Yup, same brand. I barely sprayed it, tried it out on a block of wood. Let it dry and sprayed clear and the colour kinda darkened into a shoreline gold finish. The paint isn't glitter, just wondering if i should switch to metallic but, i think i'll stick with a shoreline gold finish.

Back