Question: Importance of Bass Balance (on a lap, or strapped, etc.)

papmech

How important is it for the bass to balance well, say on your lap, or when you're playing standing up? By balance, I mean be able to hold its position there without tilting either towards the bridge end or the headstock end?

The bass which I use now is much heavier on the neck side, so it tends to tilt towards that side. This results in me having to either use my fretting hand to exert a force upwards to prevent the bass from tilting, or to use my picking arm to press down on the body so it doesn't tilt. I find that doing either impedes the movement of my arms and thus my playing. Should this be the case? Or is it normal for basses to tilt like that and should I deal with it by practicing more?

not sure, but for me my 2 basses balance well. i dont have to use any force on my fretting hand to grip/hold the neck, as the neck stays where it is when shifting the fretting position.

perhaps a good strap for bass guitar would help. especially those which are broad and grippy at the shoulder. this will help to keep the bass guitar in position, i think.

same here, it would be very hard to play if there is no balance. try getting better straps if it doesnt work get a better bass hehe. most necks are made of light weight wood and materials, I wonder why yours weigh so much.

For thunderbirds, if you are experiencing the neck dive issue, usually it is suggested you get a wide suede strap that sits well on your shoulder and keeps it in position and/or do the neck strap button change-a-round moving it from the centre of the bass where the neck meets the body to somewhere higher up near the upper bout. Having said that I've played a few and own one and have not experienced this problem. Your mileage may vary.

I'm still in the practicing phase, so I haven't stood up to play much. I sit down and rest my bass on my right lap and play, and it likes to tilt to the left. Suggesting that I strap on even when sitting down? Won't that become really tight?

I'm still in the practicing phase, so I haven't stood up to play much. I sit down and rest my bass on my right lap and play, and it likes to tilt to the left. Suggesting that I strap on even when sitting down? Won't that become really tight?

oh ok, now I get the picture. i usually rest my right arm on top of the bass, and yes I also wear straps when sitting so that the bass is stable.

a wide, decent strap should make it better if neck dive is a problem. it is said that leather straps help. i am and have always been using a thick levy's strap. neck dive isn't much of a problem for me although the body of my jazz bass is heavily carved. i don't know if it really helps because i've never used any other kind of strap. but it ought to be much better than those $5 cheapo nylon straps. the friction of the strap would prevent it from sliding if there is a tendency for the neck to dive.

i would like to second the idea of the thick levy's leather strap. i'm going with that as well to counter the neck dive problem with my fender jaguar bass.

well, so the forums say, get lighter tuners (gotoh? hipshot ultralites) or a heavier bridge (badass maybe?).. it helps a little really..but ultimately is the built of the bass itself.

you'll get use to it after a while.. i did~! and soon it won't hinder your playing.

i dont use straploks and for my strap in particular, it's a real hassle to remove the strap. the strap button hole is quite rigid (its supposed to be) so i leave it on almost all the time

a 2.5" leather suede straps works really well to counter neck dive and place the bass in all soft of weird position without sliding.

i play over the neck, headstock up high till i can kiss the tuning pegs, etc.. and those straps stuck to my body like glue. its been 2 years since i have the levy suede strap and it did not disapoint me a bit, will buy it again if it ever got stolen or broke *grinz*

Thanks all for your replies. I have learnt that a wide strap is best for guaranteeing stability and preventing neck dive when standing up. And for sitting down with bass on lap, the balance really depends on the bass.

I found a cavity in my bass where the electronics are located. Anyone know where I can buy small weights, or like lead ball bearings, so I can fill that cavity to balance out the weight of the body vs the neck?

Northern part of Singapore. Sembawang, Yishun, Woodlands would be good. Any place along the NS line or in town would be fine too, as long as it's accessible.

loading weights into the body may help correct the balance, but you're going to end up with a heavier bass, and that's not going to help your playability at all.

go invest in a nice thick strap and strap your bass higher.

dont think small fishing weight (the correct name is called "fishing sinker") is the correct solution. you should look at a broad bass strap or relook at technique how you strap/carry your guitar. dont remember seeing you mention what is the brand/model of bass.

if you are serious in getting fishing sinkers, try checking this directory
http://handlinefishing.com/whosfishing/tacklesdirectory.htm
This is really helpful man, thanks! I'm thinking of some diy solution where i stick velcro to the back of my bass so I can attach and detach weights freely, depending on whether I'm standing or sitting. Will look ugly, but it's for comfort's sake haha.

Back