Premier League games to be played abroad?

cheesegrater

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=505866&cc=4716

"Under the proposal, from the 2010-11 season in one weekend in January there would be an extra 'international round' with 10 matches played abroad in cities such as Hong Kong, New York, Los Angeles, Singapore, Sydney, Johannesburg, Dubai and Beijing"

wouldn't this be exciting? imagine if a match like liverpool vs everton or arsenal vs spurs were to be played here? i'd camp overnight for tickets!

advertising crap.the authencity in the game is sooner or later gonna dissapear.

wenger08022008.jpg
Wenger - We could play abroad but not just for money

4421.gif

Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers

Barclays Premier League

Emirates Stadium

Mon, Feb 11, 2008, 8pm

By Richard Clarke
Arsène Wenger is open-minded about the idea of Premier League clubs playing a competitive game overseas in the future - as long as it is for the good of the game and not just for money.
The idea was first mooted on Thursday and immediately brought condemnation from various sections of the football fraternity. The Arsenal manager wants to know much more detail about the proposals before he comes down for or against. However, speaking at his press conference on Friday, he refused to dismiss the notion without further examination.
"By principle, I am not against innovation," he said. "And I like that somebody is thinking 'how can we promote the League and promote English football?'
"But you have to respect basic criteria - the competitiveness of our League, the fairness of our League, and, as well make sure that it is a promotion for our football.
"If it's just to make £5m or £6m more then it's not worth doing. We have to check that it is really to give something competitive to the rest of the world, not just a chance to make a few more millions because that will go into the wages straight away and it will all be equal again. It's not worth doing it only for money.
"Having said that, it deserves a deeper look into because it's not a decision, and you have to think forward always. We are, at the moment, certainly creating a new fan-base.

"What you can say at the moment is that 10 per cent of our fans have access to our competitive games, and 90 per cent have no access at all to competitive games.

"Do you want to give them something? I can agree with that idea. But is this the best way to do it? That has to be checked because I am not completely sure."

the english fixture list is already so cockup, starts so damn early yet no winter break, and they still wanna play ABROAD.

and wenger is a goddamn hypocrite, he says "not just for money" and then " "If it's just to make £5m or £6m more then it's not worth doing"

and then he wants to promote the english game, which is probably the most widely watched domestic league in the world

if the fixture is revised to give a breather for external derbies, it would be good. but the arrangement as it is- not adviseable.

Yeah. If the rule gets the green light, I feel that all the clubs should get equal remuneration as this will be unfair to the lesser teams. I mean who will attend a match between Derby and Middlesborough.

God, this is gay.
Look what money-hungry people are doing to the game.

I want the actual feeling of going to anfield and actually watch liverpool play, not watching them in singapore, the leage is slowly dieing.

im AGAINST the idea!

its just a money spinning scheme thats gonna backfire.

if they add a extra round. means every team will play a certain team thrice.

thats gonna make it kinda unfair

and who the hell would want to pay big bucks to watch a match like derby vs boro.

im thinking that only the big clubs will draw mroe attention.

but i wouldnt complain if man utd came to singapore though :x

screw the plan lah, it is TOTALLY about money

there is not way that the proposal is going to improve the standard of the game. in fact, it will probably make it worse

Back