playing the hi-hat fast.

penko

hi guys

any one have any techniques of playing the hi-hat single hand-ly fast and longer? my right hand seems to get quite tired after like 12 bars at 200 to bmp.

Do you guyshit the side of the hi-hat with the neck of the stick or use the head to hit the top of it making use of the rebound?

depends on the sound i want. and im a jazz player. so yea i go for feel and sound. the only way is to use more of your fingers and strengthen your wrist.

i think i got weak wrist man XD

How to strengten it? play more? XD

Anyone ever thought of using open handed playing, as inleft hadn on hi-hat and right on snare, it semms to excecise the left hand more, otherwise the right hand like over power, left hand weak XD

yea thats good. the open handed technique. yea do exercises involving your hands, in drum context of course.

sorry dude no short cuts to this one, u just have to do it. remember to stay relaxed all the way through from slow to fast. there is a variety of ways to practice this, finding the one tht works for u is impt.
playing it both ways with accents on the 1 and e's and without accents you must be able to do. cause sometimes it sounds funkier without the accents trust me on this cause i was in the studio and someone said do it without the accents, i cldn't. long story short i didn't get called back for the next session.
try to play all the ghost notes that u can play while playing 8th notes and all the bass drum patterns at the bottom of the 16ths with one hand.
after u can do all this, get some cd's and play along with tracks tht have the 16th note groove. old motown, disco and funk tunes will have these. someone gd to listen to for this is jeff pocaro, gene lake who plays with me'chelle ende ocello(no idea if i spelt it right :D ).
hope this helps, let me know how u go with it

thanks blurred for the the tips!

I tried playing with the Forearm swinging down once with the wrist moving twice each time. Meaning that to play a 8 beat i would be swinging my forearm down 4 times on the 1 2 3 4 counts and playing the n beats with just the wrist. The wirsts also does work on the 1 2 3 4 beats too, but less energy/strenght is needed i guess.

regarding the accents u mentioned, are they the 1 2 3 4 beats?

perhaps use a fast moeller to get a free stroke out of every downstroke, and don't play too loud. conserve energy.

actually 200bpm (i assume its 16th notes at that speed) with one hand is pretty insane already. i think you're playing 8th notes right? 16th notes would be like some kind of hyperfast machine on crack.

yes i mean 8th notes : )

16 notes for me if its slow beat i would use one hand, but at a fast tempo its defintely 2 hands on the hi-hat :)

hahah try to hit 110 for one handed... then your 16s will be like through the roof!
hahaha

the accents are on 1n2n3n4n
the non accents are E and A
you can do it both hands as well, nothing wrong
1 hand is a diff sound and it also frees up ur left to ghost.

go slow and build up, i'm not quite sure wat ur talking abt but watever worls for you.
when u accent wat i've been told is to use the shank fo the stick and hit the top, you get a thicker sound straight away.

hmm for some ideas you can also just accent on the 1 2 3 4 or the n n n n... using the shoulder of the stick to hit the accents and the rest using the tip.... for the ride play on the bell for accents and the rest on the ride shoulder for different tones....

try with hihat patterns too to add colour to your beat

RudimentalDrummer said:
Penko...how's your working out with the Hi-Hat Accenting?.... :lol:
thanks for asking, still working on stick and strengh control XD

now i am able to control when i wan the accent, but still not smooth Xd

penko said:
RudimentalDrummer said:

Bro penko

Just to share again. Accenting on the Hi-hat...no need to hit hard one. You just accent it using the shaft of the stick slapping it on the bow of the hi-hats(when creating an accent)...then after this - you just merely lift up the stick (and it will create the non-accent - which is the 2nd-beat)....keep on practicing this until it becomes like an instinct.

When I started out Accenting on Hi-hats, I make a grave mistake, hitting it on the Edge of the Hi-Hats (as the sound is most prminent to creating an accent)...This is wrong (Technically Speaking)....because one cannot do a very fast 16th note accent (using one hand) if accenting is done in this way (and most of all - it will not sound good too).......so cheers !

Keep up the hardwork...

RudimentalDrummer said:
penko said:
RudimentalDrummer said:

Bro penko

Just to share again. Accenting on the Hi-hat...no need to hit hard one. You just accent it using the shaft of the stick slapping it on the bow of the hi-hats(when creating an accent)...then after this - you just merely lift up the stick (and it will create the non-accent - which is the 2nd-beat)....keep on practicing this until it becomes like an instinct.

When I started out Accenting on Hi-hats, I make a grave mistake, hitting it on the Edge of the Hi-Hats (as the sound is most prminent to creating an accent)...This is wrong (Technically Speaking)....because one cannot do a very fast 16th note accent (using one hand) if accenting is done in this way (and most of all - it will not sound good too).......so cheers !

Keep up the hardwork...

wow thats for all the help man, these are really usefull :)

i will try to work on them, most of the time i use the neck of my stick to hit on the edge of the hi hats, i think its kinda wrong =.=

WOAH...as much as that is a technique I use to create a certain accenting tone....I disagree with practicing accents on Hats with no increase in strength in accented notes.....what if you want to play accented phrases with only the tip of your stick? You will not be able to pull it off because you've only been "cheating" by playing accents with similar strength (or stick height) but only using different part of the stick ....

haha there are a few ways of 'accenting'. the most common one is shoulder-tip where most people use while playing straight eight rock.

Back