play bass wif fingers or wif pick or both?

fingerstyle : nope. i rest on the left part of my (right) hand, near the thumb, to move the lower strings. if u rest your thumb on the pickguard, u know where you are in terms of which string to play if you're accustomed to your bass, but it might sound noisy cuz the B E A strings may ring when u play D-string quite hard. just a suggestion, free your thumb! :D

rhythm_ said:
Normally i dont rest my thumb too... But do you all normally do up-strokes or what if u play with fingers?
upstrokes mostly, except for the slower songs where i need a more thumpy sound... kinda like an upright, without the acoustic properties. for those, i use my thumb and go downwards.

you can try using your fingers to do downstrokes too! quite a challenge to learn how to use this, and its not all that useful (yet) but its worth the challenge! u can get very trebly sounds, esp when u hit it correctly with your fingernails and have a quick release...

Haha never. I dont even know how it looks like! Sne me a vid and maybe i try ?! XD :twisted:

Anyway How to play bass with picks... If the song is like a lot of chords quite hard leh... Plus what do u reccomend for bass picks... 2mm?

pick? i use a 2mm! :D torteX! its fun. but i still like fingers.

i wouldnt wanna play with my teeth. at least not the bass i have now, its kinda heavy, i never swing it around (i look at those emo people and wonder if they've ever ding'ed their guitars while dancing like that on such small stages, -.-) and... my strings are old and u never know what has grown on them that i cant see with the naked eye. lol.

haha, u got to sacrifice you know. the back of my bass is like mark lee's face before he went for facials or something.

I personally feel that more dynamics and feel can be achieved by playing with fingers. A more, fuller, rounded tone too.

eh whn u guys play wif picks.

do u guys do alternating up down up down or only one way either up or down only..

or whos doin it wif the finger motion or the wrist motion or arm motion ?

thats totally up to ya.

up + down, "alternate picking" technique used on guitar can be used on bass for fast beats, and arm motion... haha... i think each person will have his own unique way. =)

wanted to noe how do the rest do it. cos i kinda depend on how high i strap my bass. . so i do diff typs of picking but i still prefer fingering,. ..

anyone strum chords wif bass?? heh. if yeah any samples can send me? sound clipss thanks thanks

Back