play bass wif fingers or wif pick or both?

afterdeath

i feel tat playing bass wif pick n wif fingers will produce different feel n sound....... sum songs i prefer 2 use fingers ......... sum i prefer 2 use pick.......

so wat's u guys use?....... :wink:

:twisted:

i cant seem to use a pick at all, so, i'll juz stick to fingers, am working on a 3-finger technique, practising it instead of the usual 2.

I can play faster with alternate picking on songs like Rainging blood by slayer and the tone is much clearer too . It is always better to have more choices right as a bass player in using a pick and your fingers in getting more tone

cheers
purplehaze3691

Depends on the song. If a punchier tone is needed, than might have to play with pick. My Bass Teacher didn't teach me how to play with pick.

Colarndo said:
Depends on the song. If a punchier tone is needed, than might have to play with pick. My Bass Teacher didn't teach me how to play with pick.

u dun need a pick to get that kind of punch dude,the proper technique and practice can make u produce that punchy sound with ur finger =) cheers

metal songs? i think that using fingers produces that kind of smooth warm sound but pick has more of a clear sharper sound. not a bassist but my $0.02

wangdexian said:
It's not the punch you're talking about.
It's the kind that enables your pick attack to be heard. 8)

erm sorry...are you talking to me? kinda lost here =)

Yes. If you pick properly, can get different range of sounds... such as a more trebly sound.
Of course, I can't as of yet. :?

erm yeah...but with finger you can give that kind of attack as well...real example: billy sheehan

but i also admire some bass player that use pick,like roger glover,he gives a really nice tone using his pick and his own setting as well

i think using 3 fingers is better than pick in terms of speeding =) i tried to use pick for speeding and woah,my hand really tired man,using 3 fingers like more relax [imo]

i dunno but i think i am kind of screwed up, i play with my index and thumb finger in this shape <, and act it like a pick, i think its more ezier to play with than the 2 finger way. also i got a habit of muting to string after playing one note, and with tat position i can eziily mute with my palm, also i also do poping in tat < finger + thumb way, i juz feel that its faster :oops:

isn't playing with fingers the equivalent of playing with several picks at once?
Won't that be faster? That's how Billy Sheehan plays.

i tried picking before, but i realised some of the sounds (with pick) can be produced with your fingers (the nails, hitting strings at a certain angle at certain parts of your fingers) for fast songs i prefer using my 3 fingers, when i need some sounds, for example if i play a chord on the bass, i sweep downwards on a fingernail or push multiple fingers away from a clenched position, like "shoo"ing a fly off my strings.

let your fingers make the music, there's a big world of bass out there not challenged and full of potential.

i gotta use pick when i have to play bass on my recordings.. coz its like many of the lines are syncopating with guitar lines.. so must rush rush.. my fingers cannot take it haha

Vaiyen said:
isn't playing with fingers the equivalent of playing with several picks at once?
Won't that be faster? That's how Billy Sheehan plays.

+1 million =) if you can use the 3 'picks' on ur hand,why you only use 1

haha i guess some bassists feel that the raw PICK (not your finger as a pick) sound is what they really want. to each his own.

Back