Planning to get a budget (strat copy) electric guitar this weekend

Kinokunya

Hi guys,

The popular Timbre's SR200 may be a bit steep for me. Currently I'm looking at Craftsman ST30/ST110. (Someone care to explain the difference between these 2 models?) Also, someone mentioned that the ST30 is not a strat copy? I am not familiar with electric guitar terms. Is it something to do with the no. of frets, pickup/setups?

Also, the budget amp I'm looking at is the SoundDrive SG-15

I'm open to any other brands too, vets please advice! Thanks!

I may not be one to talk, but you could look at the buy/sell section and look out for good offers. Saw a Squire Stratocastor (a subsidiary under Fender) for $150. Alternatively, try and ask Subversion for good recommendations. He's great at this.

Same goes for Amps as well.

SoundDrive Amps are good for their prices. Marshall-esque, and anything that Mike stocks are good. However, you might want to consider a Line 6 spider if you are thinking of experimenting with effects or want a variety of amp models (the line 6 is a modeller; it can emulate the sound of different amps).

I'm not good with Timbre, but Craftsman guitars are ok for their price. Just that you might want something with a bit lower action (or set-up already by the shop)/ something that can bring you through the beginner and intermediate parts of your guitar journey. Get the ST110/ST120? If memory serves me correctly, the ST30 is made of Ginko wood :eek:

I would still rather a good second-hand guitar than a average 1st-hand. FWIW, most of my stuff are 2nd hand, but they work well, some with me for more than 10 years.

Last edited:
Hi AbeGoh, thanks for your kind advice. I'm actually looking at first-hand budget electrics, moreover I liked the ST30 because I wanted the sunburst color option, but yar .. don't know what they meant by ginko body haha. Will drop by the citymusic to see if they have sunbursts on their ST110~130 series tomorrow. :)

Gingko body refers to the wood the body is made of. Generally lower guitars are made of Alder or Basswood. :)
The quality of Squier has improved much over the years and it would be good to get one, i use them for projects.
Craftsman is also good. Guitars differ piece by piece so it will be wise to personally try them and decide for yourself. :)
You should check out Standard Value, Davis Guitar, and Sound Alchemy, the guitars on show are set up superbly, at least the ones i tried. :)

First-hand, Timbre is already one of the best for the money. Craftsman won't be as good, but they're still good guitars. Timbres are actually equal if not better than Squiers, despite costing a lot less... I recommend you save up a bit more and get the Timbre, but if you really can't, then yeah go ahead and get the Craftsman.

You can also consider the Smash S1.

Hi guys,

The popular Timbre's SR200 may be a bit steep for me. Currently I'm looking at Craftsman ST30/ST110. (Someone care to explain the difference between these 2 models?) Also, someone mentioned that the ST30 is not a strat copy? I am not familiar with electric guitar terms. Is it something to do with the no. of frets, pickup/setups?

Also, the budget amp I'm looking at is the SoundDrive SG-15

I'm open to any other brands too, vets please advice! Thanks!

I using Soundrive 10 watt amps, Timber Strats copy and Beta Alvin effects, never let me down. Fast to shred on and can nail tones from blues, jazz, rock to metal. Played my friend's set of Fender Strats into Fender amps with no effects and his tones are not as fantastic.

Thanks for the input guys. Actually I've settled for Craftsman ST30 black strat and a Line 6 IV Spider 15w from city music.
Just wondering if my amp can take in other brands of pedals other than the Line6 pedal. Right now I don't know what a multi-effects processor is about, but I see this Korg pedal look-alike thingy here. Can I link this up with my Line 6 amp?

Having trouble getting the tone i want. Anyone care to share on how to get this kind of tone?
http://youtu.be/VrI6Jym7KBc?t=53s

I'm trying to get this on the insane channel, don't know if it's the correct one.
Overdrive & bass maxed, with Mids and Treble slightly over half.

Sounds like a Scooped sound to me. U probably can get the Beta Aivin Heavy metal pedal, lower the gain and get the same thing.

Remember to set your amp to clean too.

Back