Pick-up sounds

Dawn

Hi!
icon_smile.gif

I was wondering how do I get that Slash´s nice thick-slightly distorted sound? what pick-ups do you guys recommend? p90s? PAF?

Any cheaper alternatives?

Btw, the sound of da electric guitar is mainly due to your pick-ups? or is the body material very important too? neck / fingerboard material?

Also, do differnt string gauges make a noticable diffrence in tone/sound etc? higher guage strings = longer sustain n ´thick´ sound??
icon_confused.gif

Thx alot
icon_wink.gif

Cheers

icon_biggrin.gif

when it comes to tone differentiation, everything counts. it´s not even about the different pickups available in the market. strings, body wood, amp speakers, even the cable... some people view these as marketing gimmick in tone enhancing but sometimes after trying them, one might bocome a convert.

when it come to slash, there´re 3 dominant components to consider: Les Paul/ Marshall/ Seymour Duncan.

Thx alot guys!

But those other factors pose a smaller contribution to the sound factor right?

Major Factors :

- Amp

- Pick-up

I agree with ya subversion, those finer points you´ve mentioned are to make it sound real complete
icon_biggrin.gif

But what if I´m on a tight budget...any tips for getting that Slash sound? I don´t own a Mahogany LP. instead, my guitar´s made of alder, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.

LP´s famous for that thick sound mainly due to it´s solid mahogany body right?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thx again =)

Cheers
icon_razz.gif

Actually I recall Slash saying something like my tone comes from LP, Marshall and Monster cable. Its for some Monster cable ad though.
icon_lol.gif

-Beast

Attachments

• Elaine_Lam_album_cover.jpg
    Elaine_Lam_album_cover.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,685
slash can pull-off his tone even with his BC Rich Mockingbird. so i guess his amp plays a big part...
icon_cool.gif

Attachments

• LiveoRocks--Logo(300).jpg
    LiveoRocks--Logo(300).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,472
Yup, if I remember correctly, Slash got that nice warm distortion from the Marshall stack and nothing else...

think he´s most famous for using just the Boss EQ and his amp....

think its in his ears... bring the best out of his gear.

to get that sound i think the best way to do it cheaply would be to use decent pickups and multi-effx.

Any Pick-ups and EFx to recommend?

A low-budget alternative?

I still think it´s dat marshall amp..
icon_lol.gif

Cheers,

icon_biggrin.gif

cheap ah....

well... er... get a nice multi-effects like v-amp2. i think its gd n cheap.
icon_smile.gif

to get slash sound u´d probably need a neck humbucker as well. and i don´t know any cheap humbuckers. but like someone said earlier slash uses seymour duncans alnico pro II.

What´s up?

Dimarzio are ard 100+

EMG are ard 200+

Seymour Duncan I´m not sure...

Subdivision should know...u do use Seymour Duncan rite?

What pickups are u using? Which one do you like?

-Beast

u got subversion´s name wrong... hee
icon_wink.gif

wait he beat u...

be careful with EMGs... their clean sound overloads a lot of inputs at max volume. its a little troublesome to balance clean and distorted tones.

think an SD humbucker is abt $110-130 at musicplaza.

What´s up?

Pai Sei...I thinking of subdivison at that time...muz be that damn score
icon_lol.gif

Playing an EMG clean in bridge is like having crunch. Clean in neck is like mild crunch. can be annoying.

-Beast

hulloz everyone
icon_cool.gif

duncan humbuckers retail for $120+/- price varies with models. approach Beez for purchase, there may be a 20% discount.

the duncan alnico pro 2 is the humbucker in slash´s guitar. you´d be spot on to try this humbucker in your guitar to emulate his tone. then again you need a set-neck guitar to really capture that warmth & sustain.

a friend of mine has his Epi equipped with the alnico pro & it sounds real sweet. keep in mind that this isn´t a high output humbucker but it responds real well with added gain.

i have experiences with the following duncans:

*Invader

*´59 & Lil´ ´59

*Screamin´ Demon

*Distortion

*Full Shred

*Custom Custom

*Tele Hot Rythm

*Strat Hot Stack

my personal fav would be invader/ full shred/ CC. these are responsive humbuckers suitable for high gain. the full shred IMO is my idea of a neck humbucker- not muddy + harmonics galore.
icon_smile.gif

i also have some dimarzios in my guitar but that´s another story...

<font size=-1>[ Edited by subversion On Date _MONTHDATETIME ]</font>

Duncan´s I have:

Jazz (N)

Custom (B)

I like em, but have not compared to other pick-ups, except my stock Godin pick-ups. THe Jazz is very clean and clear sounding, matching my dark sounding guitar (rosewood fretboard) while the Custom has a mid-range punch for extra "umph" in solo-ing with a band.

My Website

Back