Pearl's SensiTone Custom Alloy Snare Drum

TheElbowBand

does anyone has that snare drum?
does it worth $240?
what kind of music uses a metal snare instead of a wood one?
which material do u personally prefer?
do u prefer to have a snare hardcase or a soft one?

I intended to buy it the other time, but was out of stock, so I bought the Chad Smith Signature instead.

Anyway, metal snare tends to project with a more pronounced ring, usually very sensitive too, and metal snares have ear piercing crack and pop qualities you can't find in wooden snares. They usually have a wider tuning range than wooden snares, but that really is just my personal opinion.

Wooden snares, on the other hand, are more mellow with lesser overtones.

It's really a personal preference and varies from genres to genres of music. I personally use a wooden snare as my secondary snare, but my steel snare as my primary. And no, I don't swap them around often. :lol:

For cases, I'm planning to get one too. A hardcase will definitely serve you better. Our drums are sensitive instruments, prone to the slightest knock on its delicate shell. :lol:

thanks wired for the helpful reply.
can u tell me more about ur chad smith's snare?
how much did u get it for?
actually i intend to get a vintage snare drum from ebay worldwide
but was afraid of the long distance transaction and shipping as well.

thanks. :D

TheElbowBand said:
thanks wired for the helpful reply.
can u tell me more about ur chad smith's snare?
how much did u get it for?
actually i intend to get a vintage snare drum from ebay worldwide
but was afraid of the long distance transaction and shipping as well.

thanks. :D

I got my Chad Smith Sig for around $300 I believe. Incredible snare. For the price I paid, I wasn't expecting something like this. Surely it is not one of the greatest snare sounds ever, but for $300, something of this build is definitely worth it. I initially wanted to get the Sensitone for the sensitivity and ring of a steel snare, but I got the CS snare instead, which is similar, but has a stronger pop and crack, IMO.

I wouldn't go with the Ebay deal if I were you. Are you sure it's a vintage snare drum or a "vintage" snare drum? I wouldn't buy anything unless I can see it and hear it for myself....

yeah i am wary of purchasing off ebay, kind of risky.
upon hearing ur opinion, my choices will be narrowing down to
chad smith sg or sensitone for the $300 range :D
i was wondering that if i were to buy a snare drum,
i have to buy a stand and and case as well. it will be $300+$100+$100 = $500+,
that's almost the price of a drumkit!
i am a beginner and the reason i want to get a snare drum is because
i can't have a drumset in my place. but $500 for a snare? lol

thanks.

Hmm if you only need something to practise your strokes and rudiments at home with, I'd suggest that you get a practise pad instead. A lot cheaper and less noise. But of course, having a personal snare will be very useful for gigs/recordings.

hi mel80
the problem is that i played drumpads for 2 years odd
i guess i'm tired of it lol. do u have a drumset at home?

TheElbowBand said:
hi mel80
the problem is that i played drumpads for 2 years odd
i guess i'm tired of it lol. do u have a drumset at home?

I suggest you to carry on playing on the drumpad. But if you really need a snare drum to play on, you can buy a cheap snare drum off someone else. All you need is the clean and sensitive sound to properly hear your strokes.

I agree with what wired said. It'll be more practical for you to stick with your drumpads or to just get a cheap 2nd hand snare. Alternatively, you can continue practising at home with your drumpads and then book a studio like once or twice a week to play on the drums. I understand that it can get kinda boring just hitting on the drumpads all the time. Perhaps playing on studio drumkits every and then might make you less bored with just practising on your drumpads?

Nope, I don't own a drumkit. I'll have neighbours complaining and the police knocking on my door if I have one. The problem with living in a HDB flat lol. I practise at home with my good ol' 2nd hand DTX, which I bought from my drum teacher years ago. After the years of 'abuse', some of the triggers in the pads have lost a lot of its sensitivity lol.

Oh and by the way, anybody know anyone who can fix spoilt triggers in electronic pads?

Back