Out to Syn timing on 2 PC system?

MikeChan_

Need some advice here.

I have been running on 2 PC systems for ages, with one solely on Protools (Digi 001 - for audio) and the other on Cakewalk pro for midi sequencing along side with a MOTU MTP-AV 8x8 (parallel) connected to the cakewalk pc.

Problem is that after my arrangement was done, i intend to "track" the audio files from the Cakewalk PC into protools and since i have no syncronised both pc, tracking was out.

I was thinking of asking here if anyone can teach me how to syn the 2 pcs together (using MTC?) such that when i press play on the cakewalk the pc, the protools PC will automatically record in time.

Or unless there is an alternative method where u can run both Protools and cakewalk and track within the same pc?

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if there's a reason for you not to sequence using your primary DAW (the one running Protools). Unless you run about 20 midi tracks together with audio, you should not run into trouble since midi doesn't really tax the CPU much. This will eliminate your headache with MTC.

If you use softsynths, you can use your second PC solely for that without needing a sequencer. You can link the 2 PCs using a software called FX Teleport and with a LAN connection (much cheaper since you will not need to buy a MIDI interface and second audio card for your second PC - all streamed to the main host DAW via LAN). Since all midi and audio done with one PC and one sequencer, you won't have to worry about syncing.

Yes but if you really had to, i think you can do it by sacrificing one of the midi ports. Don't quote me on this but connect one serial port midi cable to the other computer's serial port via the midi in/out. Can just use a normal din 5 keyboard cable for this as well as opposed to really expensive midi cables. Then set remote sync on the remote computer.

Thanks Cheeze & veganbleu,

I am more comfortable with sequencing with cakewalk and this PC is primiarily mean for controlling hardware sound modules and my other keyboards. I do not use softsynths (me ulu one!).

Protools' midi is very lacking and i really hate that. What i like is it's audio editing part where i have to track singer's vocals and mix the final production.

My work as an arranger requires me to track many midi tracks as audio to individual tracks to protools and burn as protools file. Currently i am tracking at different starting points and after that painstakingly shift each tracks into the correct time and this is painful and time consuming....

Therefore i am asking help here to see if i could use MTC to ease this task....

Back