Nut change

JamesChia

Any recommendations on where to get it done?

btw I think the nut on my ax is probably sprayed over with a poly finish coz it won´t budge! will it be costly to remove it?

James

Hi~

I´m also sourcing out a good luthier to do a bone-nut replacement for my guitar too. Davis sells a totally uncut BoneNut from All-Parts-store for S$10. I think cutting, shaping and installation would need to be done elsewhere and pricing starts around $50-$80. I´m looking for a good and cheap guy to do this job
icon_razz.gif

I think it´ll cost more to replace your nut since it has been coated with a finish. It´ll be tougher to remove clean.

Cheers
icon_smile.gif

Yeah let the search for THE luthier begin again....

I seriously dun wanna waste so much money n time leaving my guitar to sinamex...

Alternatives????????????????????

Malcolm does nut replacements, is he back from Taiwan yet?

i was at Davis today to enquire nut cutting tools- not available. would wanna acquire a set though... i have not problems filing nut slots for wound strings (makeshift DIY file) but it´s the plain ones which needs a precise file.

Yeah, talking about those nut slot files... I´ve been trying to get them here in SG for ages but... same goes for fret dressing/crowning files... and other such tools....

hmm... anyone taking orders???

Hi anyone heard of Simon Loy? Saw his advert. on Luther´s classified. Claims he does great guitar repairs and stuffs for local n taiwanese stars!

I´ve been quoted $25 for installation of the nut. But if u were to give him a totally raw, un-cut n unshaped nut, it´d be $40+.

Fret leveling and re-rounding costs $40++

Anyone heard of his work? Or had ur guitars done by him? How´s the workmanship??

Btw, is Malcolm back frm taiwan??

Cheers
icon21.gif

Back