New project bass finished!

New project bass finished! Refinish in purple glitter, upgrade electronics.

My two month old project is finally done!

4dc967fa.jpg

It started off as an SX jazz that my friend wasn't using and sold to me.

e7cc8798.jpg

Took it apart.

ef577441.jpg

After sanding and applying the initial finish... it sparkles!

f889360f.jpg

Last edited:
And took up a lot of lacquer and polishing and sanding and more lacquer and more polishing and more sanding and more lacquer and more polishing and sanding...... glitter finishes are highly uneven and need a lot of work to clear the "orange peel".

The back has a simple spraypaint finish, because honestly, I don't see the point adding so much effort and weight on something that no-one will see anyway.

0e594d30.jpg

While that was going on, I started work on the neck.

cd429d38.jpg

Defretted!

624891df.jpg

Then, to fill up the gaps in the wood I used wood filler.

628edff5.jpg

The neck was introduced to the joys of sanding and more sanding and more sanding.

81955063.jpg

Just after I finished work on the body, my Nordstrands arrived! Ordered from Cherns @ RDM.

13eedca1.jpg

Shielded the cavities; they're all connected by little copper foil tubes in the tunnels between the cavities.

0ea45af0.jpg

Shielded the wires and held them together with aluminium foil, I think it oughta work...

42b16fe4.jpg

Neck and bridge in; installed the ground under the bridge. The cavities will also be connected to the ground later.

8aa8eb8e.jpg

Stringing up the nice new TI Jazz Flats, from RDM too. Cherns is awesome.

5762fbb1.jpg

A temporary connection with blue tape with the original electronics while waiting for my Audere. Actually, it already works quite well...

a3b1883b.jpg

And installed in so that I can set it up, adjust action, intonate, and generally play around with it first!

79e6cb81.jpg

Finally, the Audere arrived a week later from RDM, and I installed it.

4dc967fa.jpg

At first I had problems with strange buzzing noises and a weird rattling resonance on E notes. I got frustrated and put it away in the gigbag... and the next day when I took it out all the problems magically disappeared.

It was already pretty nice sounding with the Nords and stock electronics; this preamp just gives me much more choices of sound!

I guess maybe I'm biased since I spent so long working on it, but it plays and feels and sounds better than my Yamaha BB2004 that I was using previously. For now it's my primary bass. Pretty heavy, though, and for some reason it doesn't fit into my hardcase. The body seems fatter and bigger than usual.

A lot of thanks goes out to Cherns from RDM (http://rdmgear.com/) for the help with ordering the parts! Also, to a member from Pearldrummersforum, where I learned how to apply a glitter finish (http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=196050)

the Audere probably costs more than the bass itself already.

also, since when did SX basses come with 21 fret necks?

yo man!

Great job! I know how much effort it takes to re-finish your bass. I did that to one of my basses really long ago and it was like ... gosh ... alot of work. Seriously.

But the finish looks awesome! Post some clips of the bass dude! We wanna hear how it sounds like!

NICE!

how much did u spend on this project ah?
haha

Haha lots. Seriously lots.

the Audere probably costs more than the bass itself already.

also, since when did SX basses come with 21 fret necks?

Yup it costs more... well, I bought it second hand so it definitely costs more. Probably costs more first hand too.

I heard SX basses bought alone have less frets than those that were bought in a package with amp, gigbag, etc. I have no idea why.

now i was wondering.. how would u remedy a crack in a nitrocellulose lacquer finish?..

anybody know how or whether to get nitrocellulose to finish over it and sand ?

now i was wondering.. how would u remedy a crack in a nitrocellulose lacquer finish?..

anybody know how or whether to get nitrocellulose to finish over it and sand ?

I heard somewhere that the raw material for nitro finishes are illegal in Singapore. Not sure how true that is.

yo man!

Great job! I know how much effort it takes to re-finish your bass. I did that to one of my basses really long ago and it was like ... gosh ... alot of work. Seriously.

But the finish looks awesome! Post some clips of the bass dude! We wanna hear how it sounds like!

How do I go about doing that? I'm guessing the preamp brings it to line level already, so can I just plug directly into my computer?

yeah, the ingredients for nitro finish are supposedly illegal here.

as for the recording, just get another cable to connect from your amps line out (if there is) to your computer's line in. you'll need the proper adaptor though. then you can open up audacity or garageband or whatever recording software you have. poor man's way of recording without an audio interface. :)

Back