Need info on Trumpet stuff.

spectator

Hey guys, dun really noe where 2 post this so i guess.

HERE IT SHALL BE!!!
*mod, if it shld be elsewhere pls help me move, and sorry for the trouble caused.

Anyway I'm quite interested in picking up the trumpet.

I need like some basic info on, how much a beginner's trumpet would cost?
N like where to get it? Any additional info will be greatly appreciated!!

Also, if there are any good music schools that teaches the trumpet?
Other than yamaha? Cheap courses?

Thanks a lot guys...

A Taiwan/China made trumpet will cost a couple of hundreds. You can also get them very cheaply (around $50) at some flea markets at Clarke Quay but these require servicing. There is also a shop at Burlington Square that sells such horns - first and second hand.

If you don't mind spending more, you can consider the Yamahas or Vincent Bachs. Another shop you can try checking out is Accent Music (www.accent.com.sg), they may be able to give some recommendations. Forget about Swee Lee, their wind instruments are overpriced.

As for lesson, Yamaha is still the best place to go if you don't know any private teachers...and probably cheaper as well.

Some very old trumpets (and cheap ones) are not easy to learn with. Before picking up the instrument, I would suggest you talking to an experienced trumpet player or just find an instructor first. Some people's lips are easier for picking up trumpet while others are not so. The embouchure is important. I used to get people to try out the trumpet first to see whether they are suited to playing it.

After ascertaining that and you're ready to start, you can get the instructor/trumpet player to help you find a trumpet. Unless you are already a player, it's hard for you to know whether the instrument is ok or not.

Don't buy the instrument before speaking to a trumpet player or an instructor face to face and trying out the instrument. You don't want to end up buying something you won't use.

Learning is never easy but if your will power is there you'll be able to play that trumpet. I would suggest you to buy the mouthpiece first before even buying the instrument itself. Lipping is very important and that need practice. Even for me who've played the trumpet for so many years will have difficulty to start blowing again as I've not played it like more than 10 years already. Last tried blowing was a week ago. It took me about 15 mins to get adjusted back again. But, stamina not that good as I've lack practice. Lip tire very fast on some high notes.

If you can read music, it'll be more easy. You don't need to rely on some teachers. There are some technique where you could google on for free.

Coming back again, the reason I asked you to buy the mouthpiece first instead you could try blowing it with technique you read on about. If by any reason, you don't like to continue you wouldn't have wasted that much. I know it's gonna be boring but at least that's where you could improve your lipping first. Blowing the real thing would be easier but you have to learn the fingering on the valve. Open notes and such.

Good luck!

Saluti!
Tetragrammaton

playing the trumpet requires good buzzing and the ability to really tighten your lips. a good way to practice buzzing (to make there's sound coming out when you actually start to blow into the trumpet), is to put your index and middle finger on your lips. then tighten your lips and buzz. make sure there's a buzz sound. keep doing it when you feel that it's easy, you're ready to play the trumpet. the practicing of buzzing is actually to help you develop a good and strong embouchure. i have a trumpet at home but i seldom play it nowadays. haahaha doubt you wanna buy it anyway.

the fingering is simple. lol i could email them to you if you like. like C = all open. C# = all close. D = 1 and 3 close. so on, and so forth. i've been playing brass instruments for 12 years. hahha have fun! =)

Last edited:
Actually, I think learning by reading or googling is not easy for trumpet. You'll still need guidance. It's more than just fingering and lipping. You need somebody to help you get the right tone.

I've sold my trumpet long ago. But I still keep my Dennis Wick and Yamaha mouthpieces. Didn't know there are quite a few turmpet/brass players in SOFT!

tone is something you get with years of practice. the most important thing for a beginner to learn is to be able to control his/her diaphragm and embouchure. good tone, comes from there.

Very true indeed. So I should say - he should get an instructor to help him get the right embouchure. Getting that from reading is difficult. :)

just to side track abit, anyone knows where i can find a cheap 2nd-hand euphonium as i am very interested to re-learn euphonium and pick up from where i left off in my previous school's band :D.

lol i played Euphonium for 12 years! hahahhahhhh but competed once on the Trombone. lol hmmmm, i'm not sure where you can get 2nd hand Euphos though. would be kinda hard to find.

ok thx for the advice guys...

i've a fren who plays. not sure how good she is.
but yea will probably drag her along 2 go buy myself a mouthpiece just to play around with it wahahaha.

will probably find an instructor once my life is more settled haha...

thx for the advice again! greatly appreciated...

Back