Need help on soldering.. and wiring diagrams!

skidrow

Hi fellas,

I wanted to save myself some money by wiring pickups myself. But I did a pretty bad job. Could have fried my volume pot.. Burnt abit of the rubber wire casing..

Anyway I want to give it another shot, as long as someone can help me figure out what exactly goes where!

-----------------------------------------------

Guitar is an Ibanez RGA121, 2 humbuckers, 3 way level switch, 1 Vol 1, Tone (Push-Pull)

I found 2 diagrams. The SD one is wrong.. The other, I cant figure out exactly.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...uckers3-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume0Tone001.html

Here are my 'parts' :O

IMG_0254.jpg

My 3 way level has 8 numbered 'posts'

IMG_0255.jpg

flip it around and there are 2 more 'posts' hiding behind?!

IMG_0256.jpg

this is my push pull tone pot with an orange drop cap.

Can someone please enlighten me what exactly to do?

THANKS!

The SD one isn't wrong, just that SD pickups have different colour codes, in fact different pickup manufacturers have different wire colour codes.

Just find out the colour code for the Ibanez pups and you're good to go.

But usually you have one wire for hot, the bare wire and another wire to ground, then the last 2 are usually wrapped together and wired to one of the terminals of the push pull pot.

Last edited:
relinquish69 - thanks! but i believe the diagram you showed me is for a 5 way level switch..

J.custom - i was the guy who bought the suhr ssh+ from you! and you wired my guitar! but something went wrong somewhere..

Anyone else?

The 2 posts on the back are for grounds. They should be electrically connected to the case. Test the connectivity with a multimeter.

I have never seen that kind of switch before. LOL. Where did you get that? You'll have to know how the terminals are connected inside in order to wire correctly. Meaning which terminals are linked when in position 1, etc. Likely it's the same switch as the one in the second guitarelectronics link you posted, but you'll have to be sure.

Do take note that the stock pickup selectors for some (if not most) Ibbys are non-standard, i.e. they are connected differently internally, so most wiring diagrams from the net would not work.

Hi bro,

perhaps you could use this wiring diagram instead

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T11_01/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Toggle-Switch1-Volume0Tone001.html

The ibanez 3 way pickup switch is actually very easy to fanthom, basically you have to wire up only number 3,5 and 7

Number 5 represents the hot wire that will go to the volume pot and 3,7 represents hot wires coming from the neck or bridge humbucker.

From this wiring diagram it seems like you would be able to split both humbuckers into single coils at the pull of your tone knob, this would be cool :D

Hope this helps :D

I think it would be useful if you acquire good soldering habits first before attempting to wire this project, which is complicated for a beginner in electronics !

Try to always tin your wires and the soldering tip, by heating some solder directly onto the tip and cleaning it with a moist tissue to make the soldering tip clean

You may wish to purchase a soldering pump
27444.jpg

to suck away the old solder deposits formed on your components from previous soldering attempts

You will need to heat the solder until it becomes molten and then use the pump to suck the solder away

Be careful not to breath in the solder fumes directly or it would cause a sore throat or bad cough sometimes
Dont touch the tip or you will not be able to play guitar with a burnt finger
Wash your hands after soldering or you might get a stomachache

Hahah lessons learnt from my own experience, hope you have fun and have a successful project

Back