My Experience at Cash Converter

shengjie

Today I went to Tampines Cash Converter to try to sell off my Yamaha RGX Bass Guitar, because I got too much guitars at home(5 in fact) and I also planning to add a PRS or Gibson electric guitar to my collection. I´m hopping to get at least 300 bucks from the 6 yrs old guitar(that cost me $650) and a professional hard case(that cost me $250). So it´s not a very unreasonal demand.

Let me tell you a bit more about my bass.

- It´s a 24 fretted bass with golden brown figured alder top and headstock.

-It has full gold hardware.

- Passive P-J style pick-ups

The condition is very new except for a bit of rusting on one of the turning peg and a stiff volume control normal but it´s working fine.

When I approached the counter staff, at first look, I know that guy know nothing about guitars. He took my bass, press a string and try to strum it.
icon_eek.gif
Then he ask me about the price. I said 300. Looking unsure, he excuse himself and went to the back door with the guitar and case to consult the "professional" hiding inside. When he came out, he told me in a emotionless tone, 100 odd.
icon_eek.gif

If he had told me that Cash Converter is poor
icon_wink.gif
and they couldn´t afford it, I may forgive him. But it´s his reason that angers me.

1) He said that fretted guitar are of very low demand. He said more people will buy fretless guitar.
icon24.gif
What the ...? Who is he trying to kid? Maybe for a upright bass. But not for a electric one, which is why very few dealers carry fretless electric bass.

2) The stiffen volume knot will cost them $100 to "un-stiffen" it! On further enquiry, he said that it´s because they need to send it to a professional Luither.

3)He said that 4 string bass is of low demand, professional don´t play on 4 string. (Hello, Victor Wooten, is still playing his beloved Fodera Monarch Deluxe FOUR STRING FRETTED bass) Beside, where got professional bassist or guitarist buy guitars from them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Before he try to come out with more of his "professional" reasons on why my bass worth so less, I interupted and said that I played bass for 8 years. He was stunned for a moment, then, he went back to the back door and after another series of conversation with the "professional" inside, he returned me my bass.
icon_smile.gif

And so as you guess, my bass is back sitting in my room. And what a horrible experience I had with the company. Their "professional" are very good turning the facts upside down just to buy cheap from me. Luckily I know my stuff and I´m not short of cash... yet.
icon_wink.gif

My Horrible Experience in Cash Converter

I totally agree.....

But it´s this branch of ppl who allowed me to buy my Ibanez Roadstar II with EMGs for a low price of 250 only wahahahahha

I’m glad that you stood firm against those ignorant fools. I was there once & saw a used Epi Sheraton once in the window going for a good $900+… HA HA HA

The thing with Cash Converters is that they know nuts about stringed instruments. It’s good to quiz them before you actually cut a deal.

I was at the Jurong East branch the other day & saw an Ibanez GRX going for $150, a rather fair deal considering the guitar’s condition- jammed pots, fair bit of rust, warped neck, dirty fretboard… they just leaned the poor thing against the rack on the floor. I walked away looking at other stuff there when I saw the guitar dropped to the floor when one of the salesman knocked it over. He quickly stood it up & pretended nothing happened. I approached him & pretended to be an interested party so I asked if the guitar could be had for less. He said “Very good condition, sorry no less,” was the answer. Then I told him I just saw him knock it over & now the neck is warped (ha! I played my bluff there!)- I pretended to sight the neck & gave unapproving facial expressions. “I have to ask my manager,” was the delayed response. Talk about business ethics…

i guess you cant really hate them becos when they were bargaining they were not deliberately trying to cheat you but were just ignorant....

and another thing is i realized cash converter´s guitars seldom sell. they are very slow movers; the toa payoh branch didnt want my guitar unless it was very cheap, because they can´t even sell the guitars they have.

think cash converter should not trade in items they do not know how to valuate properly.. *shrug*

It would be better to post the sale of your bass on internet forums or class ads as you might just sell it for more than $300....

*just my thoughts*

Well, Cash Converter has been good to my friend.

He bought a Mex Strat for around $300.

And a Solid top, handmade in Spain Classical guitar for $70. (he went back home n searched the net. Found out it was worth 200 pounds!)

I think it all depends on ur fate with these junk-yard stores
icon_biggrin.gif

I saw a DS-1 at Cash Converter going for $65. (isn´t this how much it´d cost u to get a new one from Swee Lee?)
icon_biggrin.gif

the cashconverter at toa payoh sells basses at 1200+... scary. and the other guitars were pretty expensive too, for 2nd-hands.

a gd place to seek out 2nd hand goods tat's less-appreciated by the previous owner n seller.Not a gd place to sell things tat has been wif u thru yrs

i remember an incident whereby my flend tried to sell his SHOEI helmet tat bears the inspection sticker which he bought for 1k plus in mint condition.They quote him 100 plus BEST PRICE.They still got the cheek to mention STORMRIDERS

Cash Converters Australia

Singaporian victims of the ignorant/greedy?/poor cash converter you are not alone. I have same horrible experience in Australia......thanks you help me let out my bad feelings about my bad experience.

Yup ...i walked into in one in Perth and the prices were stupid...but the sales people were nice tho!

A friend told me that he brought a ZON bass to Cash Convertors to get a quote from the staff there, just for fun. Guess what was the answer did my friend get?

"This bass is made of plywood. At most worth $150."

Wah! Expert indeed! lol.

But then, like it or not, it's a business at the end of the day. How they earn is by buying at extremely low prices. Or else, they will not be able to survive.
I'm just quite amused by the kind of reasons they can come up with though. At least come up with more well informed answers that can convince people to sell the item to them lah lol.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you still have that bass with you. Cash converters just don't cut it when it comes to precision instruments be it stringed or not stringed. Buy some used CD's should be ok. You'll probably have more luck in selling it here on soft and getting a better price for it.

:)

cashconverters is the worst place to sell off your branded musical instruments.

they'll rip you off so bad that you don't have the vocal chrods left to yell "daylight robbery". if you want to risk it, you see, if you sell off your yamaha bass to them at $100, you see how much the put it up for. probably at $500 or more. they say the demand is low and all that crap and all those minor faults may cost them a bomb getting them fixed like they know what's best for the instrument. look, they say the same thing to everything. they are the jack of all trade and a master of none. so who give them the right to know whats good and whats needs fixing?

i won't recommend you guys selling your musical equipments there. do go there for other bargains like cheap phones and old school computer games but never, never musical equipments.

anyways there are tons of online forums for you to sell your musical instruments.

Alright guys, there's a vintage Hofner hollowbody acoustic at Bedok Cash Convertor.

I would have gotten it, but I know nuts about Hofner acoustic guitars and there wasn't a model number or serial number that I could find. But I do understand that some of the 60's Hofners did not have model numbers indeed. So if any of you Hofner people want to go down and perhaps try to make a small fortune out of it, be my guest. And remember to PM me to treat me to kopi(referral fee).

What did you expect? You're trying to liquidate your stuff through Cash Converter, then expect them to pay you a fair amount for your item?

you can't put the blame on them.

why don't you try being them,and you''ll know why they offer cheap prices.

I VISITED TE CASH CONVERTER IN ANG MIO KIO AND IT JUST HAPPENED THAT I GOT MY DSLR CAM...IM JUST CURIOUS HOW MUCH CAN I SELL MY CANON18-75mm LENS,,,i bought it for 975 including filter and hood..I WAS SHOCK WHEN THAT STUPID MUSTACHE SHIT GUY OFFER ME $100...I TOLD HIM DO YOU GUYS HAVE AN IDEA ABOUT LENS?HE TOLD ME TO CHECK THE LENSES THEY SELL?NEVER HEARD BRAND..I TOLD THEM THIS IS CANON..SO I JUST WALK AWAY AND LAUGH AT HIM...

lol many silly people in this thread. What do you expect from Cash Convertors?
Just the fact that you're trying to sell to them shows that u're desperate enough. If u're not desperate, u would have taken your time selling on soft and ebay and such.
So as a business, CC will try to milk this opportunity for all its worth.

There's no reason to hate here. Don't inject your personal feelings into what is strictly business.

Don't be silly. Wise up to the world.

Just to side track..

Well, it just as bad here in soft but not saying all but some...cause most seller will want to fetch a good price and buyer wants to get a good price.....

sometimes I see a seller selling at about the same price what is in the shop....or maybe just slightly lower, in that case i might as well go direct to the shop...got more choices...

sometimes i notice buyer asking for riduculous pricing, like I have given 50% off and condition is mint, yet they want further discount...

To me I think 50% is reasonable...

Latest posts

Back