Music Theory helps playing

truelove

Music Theory is very important in the help of playing our instruments.
lets discuss how does music theory help improve our instrument playing by leaps and bounds. for those who have a strong background in music theory esp Grade 5 and above, share with us how it has helped you and how you learnt it? which music theory book is the best and fastese way to learn etc.

haha this is a super debatable topic man.
I feel that for me, knowing theory just makes me much more confident in the stuff I do and eventually with confidence comes better playing and phrasing and so on. though i'm not a grade 5 (or graded in any sense ), i still feel theory is damn useful in going around the fretboard confidence wise and more importantly the ear is still as impt (or more). I like this reharmonization techniques by a mr randy something, can't rmbr.

basically for me,
theory is like the mechanism that allows the music to fall into place.
some people need to be aware of it, others don't.
it's like you can make a machine work without knowing the mechanism behind it.
like you just know how to operate the machine.

but what i feel is that,
knowing the mechanism behind it will be a given advantage as when something goes wrong with the machine,
you know where the problem lies and you won't have so much trouble figuring out.

and the thing is, the mechanism behind different machine are different.
like you can't use western classical music theory to apply it on chinese traditional or javanese traditional music.
it'll just cause a machine breakdown.

that's my view on it=]=]
as for books, i've no idea.
there's just so much out there.
i, for now, can't say i know much about theory yet.
still learning.=\

there's a time i said to myself tat theory is not important... but i was wrong!!! lol

i learn a few from gd frds here n there, managed to understand wat the hell it means. it reli does giv me the knowledge and understanding the fretboard better.

books...hmm... i got many! but i dun reli like reading and following the chapters.
i normally take lunch lessons in the office with a colleague,let him explain n show,then i will understand. how i practice them... by applying every single thing i know everyday.

i'd say it helps in composing more than playing. i've met people who have learned any theory before yet still play amazingly, i think its because of the massive amount of practices they have had. thus, recognizing the notes.

theory to me is best pictured like this...

i know how to drive a car,get the clutching point,moved 1st gear and make the car move..but i do not know Highway Code...what does the red light meant/amber/green..
zig-zag line,double white line,double yellow line..etc etc..

the highway code is like my music theory... started out at the VOID DECK music school..slowly learn the dos, don'ts and logic behind it with a good teacher..what is applicable to what type of music..

Music theory is definitely essential. Whoever that says music theory is not needed, it's bullshit.

Music theory gives you the best knowledge in progression and harmony, because it's always vital to know why than to just use your ears. Learning music theory has definitely expanded my knowledge on music and it has also answered a lot of burning questions I have ever since I picked up music.

However music theory does have its limitations because music can go out of convention. It lacks the flexibility than some would want.

Bottomline is simple. Learn it and you won't regret! :D

Theory doesn't limit. It expands. Even when a piece of music appears to "go out of convention" as emphishrow said, there is still theory that governs it.

And another misconception - theory is not just for composition. It's extremely key for playing. Not just playing well, but crucial if one were to learn improvisation, and improvise well.

Theory will only "appear" to limit when one applies it dead. Correct application and music will become more alive than ever.

Fastest way to learn theory...get a teacher. Reading books helps but its the good teacher that makes it alive. Still remember the good old days (a good 20 years ago!) when my theory teacher teach me 4-part harmony by singing all 4 parts concurrently. As one can only sing one note at a time, I couldn't understand how singing all 4 at the same time actually helped. Slowly, I began to understand and "hear" it in my head.

Grade 6 and above (equivalent) is actually pretty crucial to everything about music. There's not a single moment when I play (whether piano, keyboards, or guitar - esp in improvisation) that I don't apply harmony.

Last edited:
I can think of only Robert Fripp at this moment. He founded this Guitar Craft.
GC is best known for having introduced the New Standard Tuning, Fripp's term for the guitar tuning that came to him in 1983 (C, G, D, A , E, G low to high), and that he had personally switched over to by 1984.

I think music theory helps only if you know how to apply.I dont and you got to learn some random stuff also like other instruments and terms which is prolly more the orchestral side.

hahaha i bet jimi hendrix never knew theory. still went on to be a legend. goes to show it just doesnt matter. if u can play, means u can play.

well, there are many ideas that you guys have mentioned. this is not a debate topic, but discuss about theory so everyone can learn more :) i personally am learning Grade 7 theory now and i'm using the book "Pracitce in Music Theory" by Josephine Koh, its awesomeness book, very clear and precise, good to learn.

The arguement lies in the fundamentals of the mechanics behind the application of knowledge to a point in time where it is necessary.

A: Music is not a science; it is an art.
B: Art is science.

So.....it's really just "a moot point" :lol:

take it like a painting. u can draw nice, with alot of amazing ideas. but with knowledge of with brushes to use, what type of paint, canvas is for what, this is where theory comes. sure u can be good without theory. u can play some nice tunes without knowing that u just played a "something something" scale, note, whatever. but this knowledge, u can better organise urselves in knowing which works best with what.

lol. theory is essential for my songwriting. if not later i can't get the chords right and the song doesn't sound right

actually, imo, it is not essential.
it just basically makes it easier.
and many people want to make things easier,
that's why they want to learn theory.

studying music is akin to studying literature lah,
u analyze and then try to make something logical out of what you have analyze.
lol.

hahaha i bet jimi hendrix never knew theory. still went on to be a legend. goes to show it just doesnt matter. if u can play, means u can play.

Completely agree there. That said, I know people who I think really dont have good musical ears but with the power of theory, are able to produce pretty decent sounding stuff. So i feel that while it is true that if u can play, u can play, theory has the ability to bring u to levels that your own personal talent cannot.

I've met competent musicians who know NO music theory,

and I've met musicians who DO know music theory but aren't particularly any good.

But most importantly,

I have never met nor heard of a musician who regretted learning music theory.

It helps.

No point comparing to peope like Hendrix or Tommy Emmanuel who said they never learned theory but play extremely well. That's because they are the rare gifted minority. If one has this gift (and if you think you do), then you don't have to learn theory!

But if you listen carefully to Tommy, for example, he applies theory principles even though he said he never learned. That's call a gift. It doesn't mean he doesn't apply. For most of us earthlings, theory will help greatly!

Back